What Makes a Crash sound good?

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Opens up without much effort.. Is musical in tonality with the rest of what's going on.. Get's out of the way...

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first acoustic kit and have already bought a k dark ride and k/dyno high hat pair. I...... What exactly should I be looking for in a crash? (I play a lot of fusion if that helps?)
Great 2 choices for your first cymbals. Best to get something that sonically matches and complements those 2, so something in the 'K tones'.... a K or K dark crash, then have many bases covered. Size depends on the sustain you want. Thinner rides can crash nicely too.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Only if you're a jazzer?

what was/were/ elvis presley/little richards/ first drummers/ we're all jazz drummers
the sooner everyone gets that /the sooner/ the level of all/ drumming /gets elevated/
the drumset/ itself/a jazz/ invention/ instrument/
that's
like/saying/ you want to be a painter/ but refuse to paint/
that's
like saying /wanna be an auto mechanic/but/refuse to work/on cars
that's
like saying you want to sell/but don't want to talk to people
that's
like saying you want to be a bricklayer/but refuse to touch bricks/

/if you sit behind a drumset/ you're sitting in jazz/ before you even play a note/ so/ think about it
Wow did I hit a nerve or what? But I mean come on here. When I was a kid a crash cymbal was made to hit at the end of a fill. Even in Fusion or in Jazz a crash cymbal is to hit to emphasize something. When Zildjian started putting "crash" on their cymbals it was when Rock was dominant. Let's get real here.

Crash cymbals are why Paiste Giant Beat, then 2002 series came about, and actually really put Paiste on the map if you look at it. So this is a cymbal-industry-creating item here.

Just listen to a Paiste 2002 16" or 18" crash. They have a pitch. They are bright in tone usually. They splatter and then go away generally with shorter duration by far than a ride cymbal. Versatility is not a feature of a good crash (you can ride on it too, but it doesn't make a good ride cymbal, there are crash-able rides but ride-able crashes aren't really a thing.. well, maybe 18 Crash/Ride is) but in general a good crash is a sweet sounding cymbal that is thin, and creates a Pink-noise situation then goes away till the next time.

OF course there's exceptions but if you're specific, that is the way it is. I noticed variations in certain music, usually in Rock. For instance in the James Gang, Jim Fox's cymbals ring for a while. So they sit in there a while but still they're more of a slow crash situation. He plays more tom-tom stuff and plays the crashes and they provide some upper end support. Great topic!

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the question was 'what makes a splash sound good?' then ride cymbals would not have come into discussion would they? Horses for courses.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
If the question was 'what makes a splash sound good?' then ride cymbals would not have come into discussion would they? Horses for courses.
Speaking of a horse for the course, here’s a Paiste 3000 series 24” reflector Crash. Now I would assume it would be used as Both a ride and a crash?
0502A7D5-589D-4946-8EDB-B9E74CFF8FE8.jpeg

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
when listening to crashes I can hear that the timbre might be different with the more expensive ones, but I don't see why crashes like the zbt or hcs are worse.
I like the sound of ZBT and HCS crash cymbals but then I play rock and country. They might be too harsh and bright sounding for jazz though.