What makes a good drummer?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, I just did this! I got asked to play in a jazz octet. Very high level players. Great group of guys. At first, I thought I could handle it. Duke Ellington stuff and some west coast jazz. But then the leader started bringing in all these Jaco Pastorius charts. At first, it was just The Chicken and Liberty City. I could do those justice for sure! But then he started getting into stuff that really required some advanced contemporary jazz chops. That's not me. I was faking my way through it (I guess I made it feel alright), but I knew in my heart of hearts that a drummer with the right chops AND feel would be a better fit. I have tremendous respect for this group and its potential, so I bowed out. The leader tried to talk me into staying. He was happy with what I was doing. But I know another drummer that I think can really give that music what it needs and pull it off at a level that is consistent with the other players in the group. Fortunately, he agreed to do it. It was hard to let it go cause I was having fun, but I feel like I did the right thing.
Maybe! But, I would have liked to see you to stick to it and raise your game to the next level.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe! But, I would have liked to see you to stick to it and raise your game to the next level.
Yep, I seriously considered that. And if I weren't kinda maxed out on stress with the prospect of getting fired for not taking the vaccine, I might have been more up for it.