Tool
Zeppelin
Police
Alice In Chains

Last edited:

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting - that gentleman (Rick?) does a great job of breaking down parts and shows his musicianship skills as well.
coy

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rick Beato is a master at breaking down the elements of a song that make it great. I love his series - but they are highly addictive!

GeeDeeEmm

Maggot

Reaction score
Some of these are fantastic. Others, he gets a little too far into the weeds of the chord voicings and guitar parts and misses what makes the song great.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the series is good, but misnamed. He goes into detail about the great production and how they are constructed musically, but that's not what what makes the song great.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That video on Roundabout shows just how staggering of a masterpiece it is. One of the finest artistic pieces of music ever recorded in history.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's the old quote, discecting a butterfly is no way to discover what makes it beautiful..?
Hmmmm..... Not so sure that applies here.

Rick knows, we all know why the butterfly is beautiful. But rather than disecting it I see Rick focusing in on the interplay between the colors of the butterfly, the patterns on the wings, the wonder of flight. The aspects of the butterfly that stand out to us and collectively create that beauty.

I see Rick as a "super fan" not a cold hearted pathologist tearing into flesh....lol.

He loves the tunes and WITH US says-"Man, listen how COOL this is...remember the first time we heard that?"

As we get older we sometimes lose sight (sound? Lol) of just how great these tunes are-even while we are saying "this is a great song!"

Losing sight of the tree because of the forest.
Stopping-again, to "smell" (hear...) the roses.

Rather than merely "streaming some classic rock" we once again stop, sit down, put the "record on" and actually listen to Chris Squires bass line, Wakeman's keys, Bruford's snare ring...

And, we agree with Rick as he gleefully reminds us that all of these parts indeed make the tune great!

Just an Old Dog

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, it's a free, weekly podcast called Sounding Off with Rick Beato.

For you Grandpas, a podcast is like a radio show that you download onto your phone (or subscribe to get it as soon as it's available). Then you can listen while doing other things, like mowing the lawn or driving.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We’re discussed Rick before. I agree with one of the other posters. It should be called “ These are the parts to great songs “. You’d need some therapists and Daniel Levitin to accuracy answer Rick’s quiery