header.nohb.html

What makes you a serious musician?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sharing your work with others. Through recordings, compositions, or performances.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
tenor (1).gif

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I record nearly every gig and playback analyzing my performance, my timing, my pocket (or lack of), and am rarely satisfied.
I share these recordings with my bandmates so they can do the same. Some of them review for improvement, some never do (I can see the video analytics on my end). But I do make them available to everyone.
I so wish I had these tools when I was in my teens and 20’s. But I am definitely appreciating them now.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to be a serious musician, but that also killed the fun. However, if I start playing in a band again, I will treat every paid gig, whether it be for $50 or $5000 per person, the same way; if you’re being paid, the person paying you should feel that they underpaid you. Give your best performance every time.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 17.573 posts on DFO , that's pretty serious .... make that 17,574 .

I was given an opportunity to be trained as an accountant at the University of Alberta in Edmonton back in Feb. '74 . All expenses paid .Today I'd have a healthy pension and would have retired at @ fifty . However, this interfered with a hot band I'd been invited to join . First things first , y'know . I traded the cow for a handful of magic beans .

More than once .

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not serious … intentionally.
I‘ve always lived with the idea that when a person is serious about an instrument … it becomes difficult to see the joy … and it tends to look and feel like work.

And to me, drumming and music are art.
So I’d like to be far away from serious where art is concerned.
I like to laugh and play behind the kit.
But that’s just me.
Others have different takes and that’s cool.
The Earth still spins.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not serious … intentionally.
I‘ve always lived with the idea that when a person is serious about an instrument … it becomes difficult to see the joy … and it tends to look and feel like work.

And to me, drumming and music are art.
So I’d like to be far away from serious where art is concerned.
I like to laugh and play behind the kit.
But that’s just me.
Others have different takes and that’s cool.
The Earth still spins.
I’d have a better time if I approached it this way , I beat myself up to no end .

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I listen continually and intensely to what the other musicians with whom I am playing are doing and play accordingly.
For me, this is it .......

If anyone else listening is entertained, so much the better. But interaction in real time with other musicians is the main thing, IMO.

Oh and ..... if you can make a buck or two ...... even better!

M.