header.nohb.html

What makes you a serious musician?

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in it totally for the fun. Sure I try to do the best job I can for myself and my band mates but I’ve never even considered a career as a professional musician. I have no plans to record tracks for others’ recordings or even post YouTube videos of myself doing drum covers.

If it quit being fun I’d find something else that was.

Tony_H

Reaction score
Serious musician? Pretty much opposite of everything I do...LOL

I enjoy playing drums, have so for the past 30 odd years, but after High School and tinkering around with DCI, I joined the working force, had a family, other hobbies, etc... Now I just diddle around in a cover band and show up, stick my tongue out at drunk people and air guitar during small breaks in the drumming during songs.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think just caring enough.

Caring about learning what a good bass player sounds like and talking to them about what they want to hear from drummers.

Caring enough to listen to the same record a 1,000 times and learn every note played and recreate it.

Caring enough to learn how to play in time and the vocabulary of the instrument.

Caring about everything related to what you’re about to do when you sit behind your instrument.

Caring is all you need to be a serious musician.

For example, Tony Williams cared a lot and I think he was pretty serious. You name me a serious drummer and I’ll go ahead and say they cared.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
6v6047.jpg

But seriously... I don't know how serious you could call me. I've been playing for over 30 years in one form or another. I help teach high school band as a side job after college and drum corps and consider myself pretty serious rudimentally but I don't play drum set in public. I just hack around in my basement wishing I was better at drumset than I really am.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you’re Butt is sore and you have a hard time getting off your Throne .