What mounts are these plus Slingerland help

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
They have the oval down tube which will make using anything else a problem. The L arms are slightly smaller than 10.5mm so the toms will mount on any 10.5mm L arm mount. The Lokfast is very solid and adjustable so as long as it is in good shape you should be fine.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
These were bought from the original owner who picked them up from a small store in Cleveland in the 70s .
The original finish was black chrome . Little bit of a pleasant surprise the drums come with a Rogers power tone and the spurs and all mounts including the floor Tom legs were installed by the dealer when they were brand new. The Zildjian cymbals were bought at the same time and they are in very nice shape. I will post some more pictures when I get home

Last edited:
Reactions: dtk

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m going to sell these on the cheap at $300.00 obo, the chrome is nice and will shine up nicely. The floor Tom legs are actually Slingerland. A quick sanding and a wrap job will have these looking great!

Attachments

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I heard that removing the chrome or black chrome finish from a COW drum shell was nearly impossible to do, and was sure to be destructive to the wood shell. Wow. Someone actually pulled it off, figuratively and literally!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The grain all appears to run vertical rather than horizontal. I'm thinking that the outer ply got so damaged removing the wrap that they sanded the shells down to the middle ply. That would explain the grain orientation and grain patern which does not look like maple or mahagany.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
It’s possible the guy glued a veneer on these? He said something when he was talking about stripping the black chrome off and staining but I didn’t catch it all.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don’t think a veneer was glued on, I think he put the stain on so heavy in the wrong direction that it looks like the grain is wrong. Here are some more pictures

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your picture of the edges pretty much confirms what I thought. I don't see the outer fifth ply which would run horizontally around the shell. He damaged the outer ply so badly he sanded it off exposing the 4th ply which is poplar. The 5 ply shells were basically 3 ply shells with an additional thick poplar ply and thin maple ply added to the inside. They are now 4 ply and slightly undersized as a result.

One would need to strip the finish, sand the shells down so they were consistently smooth and either live with it and wrap them or have a new outer ply laminated on. You could then do a proper natural finish or then wrap them.

jmetatual

Reaction score
The grain all appears to run vertical rather than horizontal. I'm thinking that the outer ply got so damaged removing the wrap that they sanded the shells down to the middle ply. That would explain the grain orientation and grain patern which does not look like maple or mahagany.
Good eye thin shell. Something about these was very wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it. What an enormous amount of work if the outer ply is indeed removed.