What music genre would you call this?

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This stuff is from about 10 years before I was born. My parents were born in the late 50’s and preferred the heavier stuff like Sabbath, Floyd, Zep, etc. The only name I know for this stuff is “That 70’s soft baloney.”

That said, I find much of it to be incredibly groovy. Below is a quick snapshot of some of what I’m talking about it, but I’d put Steely Dan, Hall and Oates, etc in there. Maybe even some Eagles.

Help me out. 70’s easy listening?
DFA90BB6-4C95-4B25-B990-EF30C660A5EA.png

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
This stuff is from about 10 years before I was born. My parents were born in the late 50’s and preferred the heavier stuff like Sabbath, Floyd, Zep, etc. The only name I know for this stuff is “That 70’s soft baloney.”

That said, I find much of it to be incredibly groovy. Below is a quick snapshot of some of what I’m talking about it, but I’d put Steely Dan, Hall and Oates, etc in there. Maybe even some Eagles.

Help me out. 70’s easy listening? View attachment 567724
I think it went by "Adult Oriented Rock" back in the day. Not sure.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
Edit, beg pardon: OK, so I guess it's not called 'Yacht Rock' after all...

As often is the case, I'm just confused...

Last edited:

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a '70s kid, and I firmly believe that all the music my parents exposed me to is where everything originated for me musically; it was all engrained.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We called it Rock..Now, It might come under Adult Rock, Soft Rock, Easy Listening Rock, Rock for the Office, etc...but, there were only a few genres in the 70's...

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was called MOR - middle of the road.

Reactions: JDA

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MOR was even smoother, less challenging.
At the time - The Eagles, Steely Dan, Hall & Oates, Fleetwood Mac etc were called AOR by the music industry and radio stations.