What music styles, genres etc. do you or will you not play?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have played (and still can play) rock, dixieland, bop, latin, blues, funk but don't play pop tunes, heavy metal or much that is considered "popular". These days I tend to play in acoustic jazz trios doing straight ahead and latin jazz standards. There is no incentive really to branch out and get acquainted with much else at my age and in the scene where I live.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I won't play blues... mostly because I know that I'll be asked to play a shuffle and I just don't have that anywhere near together enough to play it. I won't play anything super-loud either as I value my hearing and much prefer to play with finesse rather than raw power. I'm not invested in sports-bar, classic rock type covers as I find that music cliche and I don't really like to play anything that demands note-for-note renditions. Ditto with modern country.

I'm maybe a bit of an odd bird in that I'm knowledgeable enough with a number of different styles to pull them off and yet not really advanced enough in any of them to play the most challenging, authentic versions. I've got a good feel for jazz and can play standards type stuff, ballads, mid-tempo, or even fast tempos, can do a fair bossa nova, can trade 4s and yet I can't really follow more complex tunes. I play backbeat type music pretty well too and have played everything from indie rock, to punk to funky/R&B type stuff and can even play stuff that has compound time signatures, but if it really requires chops I'm not the guy...

I guess that it boils down to my taste and ability, or lack thereof which would determine what kinds of stuff that I could (that I can) play.

There's really no kind of drumming that I wouldn't like to be able to play, though I might not want to play a lot of styles in the types of bands that usually use those techniques. I'd be using that stuff my own way...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't been playing long and the list of styles I can fake enough to pull off is mostly backbeat such as Indie, rock, country, motown/funk-ish type stuff. I don't have a lot of "Won'ts" based on musical preferences, in fact I have more "can'ts" than "won'ts" ;-) except maybe death metal and other blast beat based sub-genres. I lose interest in heavy music past a certain level of aggression and pointiness of logos. I have respect for the dedication and athleticism required to do that sort of thing but kicks that sound like a machine gun don't appeal to me.

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t understand playing jazz. I’d like to.

As far as what I prefer to play, I like a diverse mix. I can’t/won’t play super fast punk or speed metal. Give me some funk or some real R&B. If I am making bums shake and I am making some money, it’s all good to me.

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I know up front what I'm signing up for it would probably be a gig doing nothing but cover songs where there is no freedom for interpretation. That and a maybe fundraiser/advocacy gigs for causes that strongly clash with my values.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have no boundaries with this - which isn't to say I'm good at everything. Like everyone I've got my strong suits and weak ones. It also doesn't mean that I don't have my preferences stylistically. Just that there's nothing that is off the table because of not liking it or anything like that.
^^^DC speaks the truth!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Metal with Himalayan throat music vocals.
Why eff up a perfectly good jam with some idiot that sounds like they're puking in a commode stall.
Professional wrestlers and most sports commentators have a place on the stage.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I´m in my 50s now and have played all kinds of music over the years (not only as a drummer, but also on trumpet and on bass). So my only reservation these days, as funny as it may sound, is - if it gets too loud, I´m out. Seriously.
I´ve had my bouts of tinnitus (and miraculously recovered from all of them, even if it took years) and other related unpleasant issues so I´m never going to expose myself to a high volume situation ever again.
I´m a jazz guy really but I wouldn´t mind playing anything from electronica to hip hop to folk - as long as the volume is reasonable.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
anything to do with playing on memory alone drumming that will eventually tire me out.
If it's -even a little bit- of 'in the moment' creating, man I'm a happy bird.
you know that feeling? the feeling that it's new ( even if an old piece of music) It seems that has to do with the players you're surrounded with.
That mystery you don't know quite where the tune is going but it's going and you're mentally anticipating; preparing for it.

If I know what's coming next after next after next after next it's a job physical labor.
More a playing a part, and
not what I really enjoy, the feeling of actually- foundationally, holding something together.

As a Gladiator riding a chariot downhill holding all the horses..together..reins in one hand a whip in the other.. !
if it' ain't that exciting.. I ain't all that interested..(ha
I like it when: it gets to those "downhill" moments..
with no brakes; you' and maybe the bass player, being the only brake..

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love jazz, but you won’t hear me playing any bop. Because I cannot.

That uber-testosterone molten panzer tank division blast-beaty type of Cookie Monster metal---- Can't stand to listen to it, so I have no right to even attempt to play it, and certainly no desire to. I can and do find something of gold in every genre. I think having big ears is really important to play well with others. This is a style, hoiwever, that I've yet t find anything within it to relate to. First music I can truly say I dislike.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really don't care for anything that I feel it would be impossible to wright music for other than some Jazz music I heard. Wished I knew more about Jazz. I like listening to easy listening Jazz. I can't stand yelling and rattling guitars or extremes of any instrument. I'm and older guy so I assume you'll understand.

My main interest is music that I can understand the words and be able to read the notes, that's Big Band with a little Latin, Waltz and Polka mixed in. I could handle a Polka Band but would probably get tired of that after a while. I also like and play a lot of Traditional Country & Western with some 50, 60's Rock and Roll mixed in. I also enjoyed Concert Music and and Marches back in my High School days.

sherm

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whatever my abilities will allow. Lately ive been thrown all sorts of different genres. If I can come up with something, I record it, and send it back. If the writer likes it, they use it. No reason to limit yourself if it helps pay the bills.