What pedal are you using?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DW9000 singles:

IMG_0875_S.jpg

Before I upgraded to the 9000s I played a pair of DW5000s for over 20 years (single-chain/sprocket models). There's no comparison between the two models. The 9000 is the smoothest and most effortless pedal I've ever used, yet it's also capable of extreme power. For me they feel like my feet are playing my bass drums directly, with no pedals inbetween.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Current main pedal is a Tama Iron Cobra 600 which is straight-forward, smooth, and very functional. I also use the DW JR Robinson beater on that. I like the fact that the beater is light and doesn't make the pedal feel too top-heavy. The Tama replaced a DW 5000 that I got new in the late 1980s when I was in college. I did regular maintenance on that and used it all the way up until about two years ago. It still accompanies me as a backup, and I use it occasionally on some lighter gigs or a rehearsal. It still feels great. My preference is for single pedals.

I have a late 1960s Slingerland Tempo King permanently on the practice kit, because it makes me work a little harder :)

I also have a black Slingerland Magnum that is on my bench that will be for sale once I get it cleaned up.

Cheers everyone!

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl Redline Belt Drive, Red Cam and sometimes Black Cam with a Lowboy Lightweight Leather Beater. Also own Lowboy Lightweight Felt Beater and sometimes okay that.

Bongo Jesus

Reaction score
DW 9000 double, strap drive/trick shaft/control beaters for acoustic kit
DW 5000 AD4 double, trick shaft/control beaters for practice roland kit

Ralph27

Reaction score
80s Tama Camco on one kit and lowline DW on my other. Both work perfectly fine for what I play

Russian Dragon

Reaction score
Trick Pro 1-V (the older (?) model with a heel plate, not the Bigfoot). It's the one piece of hardware I never play without.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trick Pro 1-V (the older (?) model with a heel plate, not the Bigfoot). It's the one piece of hardware I never play without.
Not older, they are still part of the line up, Lol! I just bought brand new ones (doubles) a week ago. I guess I'm not the only one that likes shortboards. I've tried longboards and don't like them at all.
I love these!!

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW5000A. I’ve tried a bunch of different pedals including the DW9000, Trick, and others but I always come back to my trusty 5000. It just feels right.

853guy

Reaction score
My first pedal was a Tama HP30 Flexi-Flyer with the leather strap.

Then an Iron Cobra 1st Gen chain drive.

Then an Axis Shortboard Skinny direct drive.

Each brought apparent improvements in technology, offering "improved" performance.

And yet, in terms of feel, predictability and simplicity, the Iron Cobra and Axis only made me work harder. Despite many years of so-called progress, the HP30 remains the standard for me personally (even over the DWs, Pearls and Ludwigs I've played).

My next pedal will probably be the ACD Unlimited Darwin FTW strap drive. Of all the pedals on the market right now, it seems to be the one that may allow me to tailor the feel and progressivity to match the HP30, while bringing added durability and serviceability.

Expensive, yes, but I really can't afford to spend money on an "improvement" that doesn't result in ease of use.

Best,

853guy

Last edited:

pjmariner

Reaction score
Have had this exact model since it came out in about 94. Used a danmar wood beater for long time, now using vater hard felt beater which I love.

I think this version of the heel plate is still best ever. Since it’s literally an axle with bearings as opposed to a hinge with bearings, pedal still to this day has zero lateral movement.
31E74BB7-8421-40A0-B166-7B043A1E09E6.jpeg

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dw machined direct drive pedal. super expensive but far and away worth every single dollar. nothing else comes close for my foot.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A pair of ASBA Carolines on the a-Kit, and a Trick Pro V-1 Bigfoot (double) on the e-Kit.
I haven't played the e-Kit in quite a while, and have not tried the V-1's on the a-Kit just yet... tough to say goodbye to some old friends/too attached to the Carolines???

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A pair of ASBA Carolines on the a-Kit, and a Trick Pro V-1 Bigfoot (double) on the e-Kit.
I haven't played the e-Kit in quite a while, and have not tried the V-1's on the a-Kit just yet... tough to say goodbye to some old friends/too attached to the Carolines???
When I was on the road in the '70s I thought the Carolines were the smoothest and best-playing pedals I'd ever tried, but I couldn't afford a pair and they eventually disappeared. Unless you really need the money I'd keep the Carolines even if you replace them with different pedals. If I remember correctly (it's been 45 or so years) they play and feel a lot like DW9000s (my current pedals).

Reactions: Hop