What player do you think is most similar to Buddy that is still active these days

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm speaking of energy and showmanship around the kit. Maybe there isnt anyone but if this person you pick was coming to play nearby you'd make a point to see them. JUst curious what people here would think

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is one. That said, I'll play.

Billy Cobham is one of the few drummers still active that I'm excited to go see from a purely "drummer" perspective. But I'm not comparing him to Buddy (or vice versa), Billy isn't showy and comes across as very mild mannered, but the man has energy and is a force of nature behind his kit.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel like Billy Cobham is probably the guy who was passed the torch, the thing about Buddy was he was in the middle of the (then) popular music scene--that of the big band era--and then became a band leader and then continued showing his amazing abilities throughout his career. If anyone was to be a modern day version they'd have to not only have amazing chops, and be considered one of the best, but also they would need to be in the spotlight for at least long enough to be considered a household name.

It could be that another like Buddy will come along, but I haven't seen anyone really yet, who showed the level of mastery and also had the prominence factor.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm speaking of energy and showmanship around the kit. Maybe there isnt anyone but if this person you pick was coming to play nearby you'd make a point to see them. JUst curious what people here would think
I'm not a fan, but honestly Travis Barker. Dude has energy to spare, tons of showmanship, and overplays as much as Buddy ever did.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It could be that another like Buddy will come along, but I haven't seen anyone really yet, who showed the level of mastery and also had the prominence factor.
And I doubt we ever will see another. I've always claimed that while there are freaks of nature, 99.9% of people develop "talent" through the music they practice. Sooooo.....it's not because someone doesn't have the talent....but the music that young drummers play today doesn't require it. Jazz is dead and modern music is full of loops. Maybe someone is Latin America?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Check the (medley) GearShift that occurs at 3:15...(start at 2:00 something.

KevinD

Reaction score
If you are talking about Big Band playing.. while that is certainly a shrinking market, Tommy Igoe is probably the closest in terms of chops and overall musical ability, along with the personality.

Bernie Dressel certainly fits the mold, great drummer as well. BUT while he is very well known for playing Big Band material, he really does a LOT of other stuff (esp soundtracks and things like that) so that really would not be a direct comparison to Buddy who was primarily a BB drummer.

Daniel Glass is another great player who really nails things in the Big Band vein.

There are probably some others out there that we don't know about as well.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s a guy in LA named Jimmy Ford (of Ford Custom Drums) who can do a remarkable Buddy. Played at Disneyland for a long time (still might), haven’t talked to him in a few years.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about Big Band playing.. while that is certainly a shrinking market, Tommy Igoe is probably the closest in terms of chops and overall musical ability, along with the personality.

Bernie Dressel certainly fits the mold, great drummer as well. BUT while he is very well known for playing Big Band material, he really does a LOT of other stuff (esp soundtracks and things like that) so that really would not be a direct comparison to Buddy who was primarily a BB drummer.

Daniel Glass is another great player who really nails things in the Big Band vein.

There are probably some others out there that we don't know about as well.
Yes I was thinking big band

Latest posts