What player do you think is most similar to Buddy that is still active these days

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's really no viable big band scene to speak of anymore, so looking for a Buddy clone there is a dead end, IMO. But if you're talking about seeing a drummer that really has it all together and is also entertaining, I'd recommend seeing Steve Smith when he plays with Vital Information. I saw both Steve with VI and Steve Gadd with Chick Corea within a few weeks of each other in a local jazz club about a year or two ago, and honestly I enjoyed Smith a lot more than Gadd. Steve Smith seemed a lot more into the music and was visibly enjoying himself and the music tremendously, and that always translates to an audience.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
May I submit Ronald Bruner, Jr. Obviously not stylistically similar, not big band (though I’m sure he could slay at that too) but similar in speed and attitude.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Energy and showmanship around the kit? Jon Theodore and Patrick Keeler. Hands down. Theodore is a maniac and I would see him no matter what project he's playing with. The same goes for Patrick Keeler. The energy and power he exudes is addicting to watch.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to think--what portion--of Bud was Show Biz.
either 30% or 70%

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are many very fast drummers around but I am hard pressed to find one that has the articulation and precision of each stroke or ghost note or roll to match Buddy's. Some of his syncopations may look a bit old these day but a current 6 tom and 8 cymbal virtuosity does not take away from Buddy's musicality on generally no more than 2 toms and 3-4 cymbals. But I'm old so what do I know about ALL the modern drummers......

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
There are many very fast drummers around but I am hard pressed to find one that has the articulation and precision of each stroke or ghost note or roll to match Buddy's. Some of his syncopations may look a bit old these day but a current 6 tom and 8 cymbal virtuosity does not take away from Buddy's musicality on generally no more than 2 toms and 3-4 cymbals. But I'm old so what do I know about ALL the modern drummers......
here you go, same number of drums and cymbals as buddy here. But why does it matter? The number of drums someone’s playing should be the last thing you look at to evaluate someone’s playing. That’s more of a fashion factor rather than a musicianship factor.

REF

Reaction score
Buddy commanded the kit and the band. He literally drove and propelled the band with an energy and enthusiasm, as well as precision that really is not the place of drummers in today's bands anymore, to the degree that Buddy and other big band drummers had in their day. Today's players certainly put out the energy and many players can do what Buddy did at a drum set. Can anybody play as fast as Ronald Bruner Jr. or Gergo Borlai or Damien Schmitt and others of their class? Until Billy Cobham came along, Buddy knew he could take on the world. Billy shrunk that world so much Buddy told Ed Shaughnessy not to play any of that East Indian s--t when they did their duel on the Carson show. That was a direct comment on Billy's work with Mahavishnu and the drumming world and the rudiments he employed at blazing speeds back then.

Buddy was probably the first, international player to easily qualify as the guy that created "cloning," which he hated. Before Baker and Bonham, et al, Buddy had clones dripping down the walls. Butch Miles comes to mind. Possibly the most well known modern BB drummer that was saturated with Buddy's influence, as far as playing style.

Tommy Igoe, Jimmy Ford were mentioned. Steve Smith is certainly a master of the instrument, as well as Dave Weckl. They are both more laid back than Buddy, though. Buddy was a force of nature. His over the top personality went into his playing and that kind of inner conviction of how well one does what they do, is not really something that can be pulled off like Buddy did without coming across as severely arrogant. Buddy's constant humor and obvious love for Jazz tempered his hubris, despite how overbearing he could be. His confidence cascaded like an enormous waterfall that drenched his band every single night. His humor and talent kept it all from being "the Buddy Rich show," though. His music was filled with constant solos from every member of the band and he encouraged the highest level of playing from them. He demanded it, and they gave it to him.

I do not believe that type of player really exists anymore. It's just a different day and age. "One of a kind" is really something that can be placed next to Buddy's name.

Latest posts