What player do you think is most similar to Buddy that is still active these days

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy was very dynamic as a person. He was on Johnny Carson regularly, no one will be another Buddy.

That being said, last night I listened to Billy Cobham's first solo album, Spectrum. Anyone who listens to this album has to admit the degree to which Billy displays an amazing mastery. Different style, though. That's because the Swing era is out of the past. Music is evolving. I dig tons of really new stuff. The mention of Ronald Bruner Jr. speaks to this. He's an amazing player. That being said, he's not Buddy Rich. And, in my mind that's a good thing, because if he were, it would hurt the great contributions he's done for the artists he's played for.

The great thing about drums is the style is so important especially when they are in the spotlight. Lots of good players out there these days. I'm glad they do THEM.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love this video of Buddy. Not his most impressive drum solo work ever (although it's plenty good... and check out that left hand in one particular spot!) but I think this is a great example of how he could swing his butt off. And he clearly had the greatest respect and admiration for Mel Torme. As difficult as Buddy could be to work with, you can tell he's absolutely having a blast playing with Mel!

Mel was a decent drummer in his own right . We just seldom saw that side of him

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buddy was one of a kind. Why look for him in the shadows? He's gone. But he left an invaluable drumming legacy. This drummer generation, and all subsequent drummers generations, have Buddy's legacy for knowledge and inspiration.

Best,
skf

drumsforme

Reaction score
If you're saying Big Band Florida's Best Buddy Rich clone is Ken Loomer Big Band. Kenny has spent his life emulating the Buddy Rich experience. Here is an example here, there's lots more on YouTube as well.

Rick

Reaction score
If you're saying Big Band Florida's Best Buddy Rich clone is Ken Loomer Big Band. Kenny has spent his life emulating the Buddy Rich experience. Here is an example here, there's lots more on YouTube as well.

He's very good! But compare side by side with this and tell me what you think...

Latest posts