What player do you think is most similar to Buddy that is still active these days

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buddy was very dynamic as a person. He was on Johnny Carson regularly, no one will be another Buddy.

That being said, last night I listened to Billy Cobham's first solo album, Spectrum. Anyone who listens to this album has to admit the degree to which Billy displays an amazing mastery. Different style, though. That's because the Swing era is out of the past. Music is evolving. I dig tons of really new stuff. The mention of Ronald Bruner Jr. speaks to this. He's an amazing player. That being said, he's not Buddy Rich. And, in my mind that's a good thing, because if he were, it would hurt the great contributions he's done for the artists he's played for.

The great thing about drums is the style is so important especially when they are in the spotlight. Lots of good players out there these days. I'm glad they do THEM.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love this video of Buddy. Not his most impressive drum solo work ever (although it's plenty good... and check out that left hand in one particular spot!) but I think this is a great example of how he could swing his butt off. And he clearly had the greatest respect and admiration for Mel Torme. As difficult as Buddy could be to work with, you can tell he's absolutely having a blast playing with Mel!

Mel was a decent drummer in his own right . We just seldom saw that side of him

drumsforme

Reaction score
If you're saying Big Band Florida's Best Buddy Rich clone is Ken Loomer Big Band. Kenny has spent his life emulating the Buddy Rich experience. Here is an example here, there's lots more on YouTube as well.

Rick

Reaction score
If you're saying Big Band Florida's Best Buddy Rich clone is Ken Loomer Big Band. Kenny has spent his life emulating the Buddy Rich experience. Here is an example here, there's lots more on YouTube as well.

He's very good! But compare side by side with this and tell me what you think...

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tommy Igoe. Those left hand rolls. Amazing.
Totally agree. If you haven't watched any of Tommy's big band videos...do yourself a favor and you'll be knocked out by his playing. Chops, musicality and yes...a bit of flair that is fun, not overdone.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I'm speaking of energy and showmanship around the kit. Maybe there isnt anyone but if this person you pick was coming to play nearby you'd make a point to see them. JUst curious what people here would think
Easy! Duffy Jackson. Scroll up to previous post.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Wow.....Destroys every single stereotype ever invented regarding the look and shape of a drummer. Maybe there is hope for me yet :lol:
Hope you enjoyed it. Duffy Jackson was a musical prodigy. He is a multi-instramentalist with more energy in his little finger than most players have in their whole family. I've seen him wail on piano, contra-bass, and scat and play drums at the same time, in the same song. If he wants to play your piano, best to move over or end up on the floor. Ironically, my understandidng is that he has some kind of hip problem and had part of it surgically removed. He wears an elevated right shoe and somehow has the fastest single bass foot I've ever seen.

FYI, his father, Chubby Jackson, was the bassist for The Woody Herman Band, and invented the 5 string bass.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I like Ken, and yes, he really keeps the BR experience alive, right down to the beautiful Slingerland and Ludwig kits he plays, the exact models Rich played. Ken even responds to everyone in the comment section on his YouTube channel. A real old school gentleman. In that respect, he is no BR! :icon_lol:

Now if I could only hear Tommy Igoe play those classic drums instead of modern Yamaha's and DW's, you'd really have a comparison to make.:thumbright:

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope you enjoyed it. Duffy Jackson was a musical prodigy. He is a multi-instramentalist with more energy in his little finger than most players have in their whole family. I've seen him wail on piano, contra-bass, and scat and play drums at the same time, in the same song. If he wants to play your piano, best to move over or end up on the floor. Ironically, my understandidng is that he has some kind of hip problem and had part of it surgically removed. He wears an elevated right shoe and somehow has the fastest single bass foot I've ever seen.

FYI, his father, Chubby Jackson, was the bassist for The Woody Herman Band, and invented the 5 string bass.
Of all places, I saw Duffy with the Count Basie Band at the Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, CA years ago. I still think about the huge impression he made on me. :headbang:

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Of all places, I saw Duffy with the Count Basie Band at the Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, CA years ago. I still think about the huge impression he made on me. :headbang:
I saw him for the first time about a year after I first saw Buddy. Two amazing talents. And Duffy is an amazingly cool guy too!