What reso head is recommended for an evans hidraulic glass, and so that it does not make so much sympathy or buzz with the snare?

t0rment0r

Reaction score
It's for a poplar 12'' tom that has the generic head reso that has no brand whatsoever, and even though I put a new hydraulic head evans on it, the tom sounds bad and has a lot of harmonics, and also causes excessive snare buzz. I did the test by removing that generic reso head and the snare buzz disappeared, so I'm looking for a reso head that doesn't cause snare buzz (or doesn't have so many harmonics) but also gives the tom a good sound and more volume, because I noticed that hydraulic heads have a little less volume compared to a pinstripe for example.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you dont want to lose additional volume a clear ambassador or diplomat weight resonant head is probably your best bet. The evans equivalent would be g1 or reso 7 I believe. The sympathetic snare buzz is a separate issue that may take a bit of experimentation to resolve.

on bigger toms with a heavy batter head like a hydraulic, I sometimes like a black dot or emperor weight to even out the response, but that would probably be overkill on a 12 and cut down perceived volume

Some tom tunings will cause more sympathetic vibration than others. Changing the height or angle of the tom or snare so the resonant heads don’t align as closely can also help. The biggest factor for me is usually the tuning of the snare side head and tension of the wires. Again, if theres a clear method that will work in all cases I don’t know it, but usually I find a tighter snare side head and tighter wires don't get as easily excited by striking the tom. If you already have both pretty tight, try loosening one or the other. A small piece of tape on the snare side head can also cut down on buzz without strongly affecting tone

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A clear or coated G1 is what I’d reach for as a reso head for that drum. There isn’t a reso head that eliminates buzz, it’s about frequencies. All heads create sound waves, so all can create buzz. Sympathetic snare buzz is gonna happen, but I agree that sometimes it’s TOO much. Youve gotta find a tuning relationship that works well - that may mean raising or lowering the pitch of the 12”, or the snare, or both. The snares get excited at a certain pitch (you’ve probably heard your snares buzz from your voice) and if the 12” is at or near that pitch - excessive buzz. As 1988 said, tightening up the ss and wires a bit can help. The angle/position of the 12” tom can help. Less wire strands can help - a 42 strand wire can get crazy, but a 16 strand is much more subtle.

Snare buzz is a funny thing… some love it, some live with it, and some go nuts trying to eliminate it. I’d suggest getting used to SOME buzz, it’s part of the drums. Some snare/tom pairs just create more buzz, seemingly at any tuning. If I’m unwilling to fiddle with pitches, sometimes I just try a different snare. If that’s not an option, youve gotta experiment with tuning. Id start with lowering the 12” tom pitch, and raising the snare so it’s significantly higher than the tom. Make the interval between batter/reso head on the tom larger so it resonates less overall.

Did you like the tom sound with NO reso head? You wouldn’t be the first to just not use one.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't recall where but recently watched a video on this and the presenter recommended nothing larger than 5.5 depth snares. His opinion was the deeper the snare the more likely it'll match what is going on with the mounted tom of a similar size and shape.