What ride do you think this is?

Nubs

Reaction score
Ever since I heard this song, I've been wondering what the ride could be. So light, airy, and pingy sounding:

Whatcha think?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok. heard something.. probably the faders and micing silencing all the wash leaving the stick on a Zild medium 20"
More the record. tech. period correct old A or old K 20 perfect for the style...unless you want to spend bigger money chasing down a modern that would fit. Could be a long road there instead of going Old right off the bat.

the ride seemed tweaked and buried in there to almost be a flat ride

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's some joyous music right there. What a great track. Sounds simple but it's deceptively tricky to find a rhythm section that knows how to play a feel like that. Gone at 45. Way too young. RIP William Clarke.

The ride is pretty buried in the music. Hard to get an idea of what it might be. I would think a 20 or 22 and not too dark or thin. And old A would be my guess.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So quiet in the mix, but I agree with Joe it sounds a bit like a flat. If I were trying to cop that sound, I'd grab my 2002 flat and some old crash, then mic only the drums with no overheads.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fallback answer to any of these questions based on era, genre and geography is, if there is a touch of brightness, as I heard there, it was a 20” A of “medium” weight.

But I have to say what really grabbed me about that song was not the ride but the backbeat snare/hand claps.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, we've identified my problem: I hear NO ride cymbal at all!

Reactions: JDA

tbird8450

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like a Paiste 602 Medium Ride to me.
I pulled the song up on Amazon music, which is a little cleaner sounding. It does have a very similar tone / ping to my 20" 602 Medium Ride, however, the wash on the 602 is glassy smooth and the ride in this song has just a slight amount of sizzle, so unless it's a 602 with a rivet, likely it's something else.

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I pulled the song up on Amazon music, which is a little cleaner sounding. It does have a very similar tone / ping to my 18" 602 Medium Ride, however, the wash on the 602 is glassy smooth and the ride in this song has just a slight amount of sizzle, so unless it's a 602 with a rivet, likely it's something else.
Poor phrasing on my part. Actually I don´t think it´s a Paiste either - it just sounds a lot like one, should one try to recreate that sound. Plain old A Zildjian is much more likely. :)

tbird8450

Reaction score
It probably is. Also, I'm not sure why I typed in 18" - I have a 20" 602 ride. Posted edited.