What ride for big band?

What ride for big band?

• 20" Dream Bliss 2011 gm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jaymandude

Reaction score
WWSPD

what would Sonny Payne do ? That’s my reference :)

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My go to big band cymbals are:
22” new stamp
20” new stamp with rivets
20” Bosphorus wide ride (more attack for rock oriented things)
21” agop mel lewis with two rivets

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've gone through the same thing, Although my big band/s are currently out of action due to damn virus I discovered and now use a 21" Sabian hhx groove ride, ( someone has cut into the edges slightly and had them professionally rounded) with a apparently no effect on sound. Listen to some YouTube examples if you want, I would say they have a bit of personality. I also have an excellent condition paiste 20" 602 ride that I will also keep.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to mention that these Sabian models have some technology involved to make them project which is what you want in a ride that has some dark complexity in the sound, It has very decent stick defenition and perfect amount of wash that doesn't overwhelm, I think they are quite on the modern sound spectrum, but whatever it has the best feel I've ever had and I love using it for big band, great sound.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Need a go-to ride for big band. Clear definition for horns and reeds to hear, enough wash to give the band a cushion to sit upon, pleasant sound for audience. Crashability not really a factor. I have all of these, but keep going back and forth. Help me! Comments & rational welcomed. Thank you!
20” A Zildjian Medium Ride always worked for Buddy Rich.
Ed Shaughnessy used a 21” A Zildjian Medium ride until he got a signature ride , medium/heavy, from Sabian.
both BIG big band drummers.

Dan K

Reaction score
I used a 22" Sabian HH Classic ride with a big band for about 9 years and was NEVER dissappointed with it. Older cymbal but a great one!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I played the 20” Zildjian & Cie Vintage (1787 gm) at an outdoor unmic’d rehearsal of the big band last night. The tone was good for riding, but the wash overtook the stick sound. Crashing was good. The bell sounded nice and delicate on a mambo. I think I need a little more definition and less wash.

I took the 20” Ping as well, but after a few exploratory pings, it went back in the bag. Too cold and icy a ping, too gongy a crash. Might have to sell this almost unused.

Next week, I’ll try a different one. There’s an un-stamped 21” Agop Om prototype that I might try.

Richie Paradise

Reaction score
I only play swing in my (I run it) big band, we don’t really do other types of big band music as there’s a great swing dance scene here in the UK. I use a 22” Zildjian left side ride with 2 rivets. It’s perfect. It has decent stick sound, without over powering, and a good gentle wash that holds the space. It’s a great cymbal that I use in lots of scenarios. If I use it at a jazz jam drummers are always asking me to sell it to them. I have a 20” too which is slightly pingier but still very smokey and atmospheric.
There’s a few clips on my YouTube channel, it’s the only ride used if it’s Big R Big Band.
I have one of the modern versions of the 20” CIE, it’s a great cymbal that works really well with small swing combos I find.
good luck and enjoy the never ending search

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
22" A Custom Med Ride on the right.. 20" on the left.. When the band changes keys-- you change Rides. "Big Band' implies a BIG band.. you need to be heard.- 24" ? not many of them. have to buy special cases. extra heavy.. Had one- 24" flat top- gave to a friend who played a lot of Jazz. Made his Xmas that year!