Looks like a Trans? Mini-cup?

SM IN 62.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good info, will be checking it out. I had a mini-cup ride from the 60s. Perhaps that was not a term but they were certainly made.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A pre-war A makes sense given the shape of that bell.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Z

zenstat

Good info, will be checking it out. I had a mini-cup ride from the 60s. Perhaps that was not a term but they were certainly made.
According to Zildjian (thanks to Paul Francis and Leon Chiappini) the Mini Cup Ride was released in 1971 in 18" and 20", along with the Pang in 20". Although these were released in 1971 enough examples of these models have a 60s trademark stamp on them to demonstrate that what we call the 60s stamp was still in use in the first half of the 1970s.

I'm still in the process of cross checking all those years with ads, price lists, flyers, catalogs, etc. The whole lot will be turned into model specific information in the Wiki.

The ride in the image which started this thread looks at first glance like it might be a cymbal with a Small Cup rather than the more common Medium Cup. Those are known to exist, just as there are early examples of smaller diameter cymbals with larger than usual cups for a given diameter. These are the 5 named cup sizes which cover the Old As. These are tracings done with a template gauge which shows the shape as well as size. There may be another cup or two lurking out there which hasn't been pinned down yet (some 30s high cups among them), but it looks like you can generate nearly all the Old As with just 5 cup sizes x 6 weight classes x diameters 10" to 26". I have been able to distinguish the more vertically sided bells of the mid 50s and earlier from the 60s versions, and I suspect that the dies got remade in a slightly different shape. I've also got a 15" cymbal from the 30s which has a Small Cup not some sort of High Cup. This suggests that we need to account for those High Cups plus some more modern looking cups being in use in the same production era. Research is ongoing to document these all more accurately and show which bells were used on which diameter cymbals in which production eras.

zildjian-bells.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
yea they were in Quincy so that's what pre-72...

he had a Flat Ride later no-name he found in Italy or France..

His album 1976- "Essence"- a must have.

That ride cymbal might be the flat ride that Daniel Humair gave to Shelly when they met in France. Daniel played the same one for years according to some older posts on the subject

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
^That's the pic (s) I was looking for (85 MD interview and on back of Essence Lp too)
~~~~~~~
a daniel Humair thread cymbalholic archive

Some early Humair:

Last edited:

Latest posts