What seemingly easy song/part did you surprizingly struggle with?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 12 y/o daughter learned Ballroom blitz on bass and I want to play it with her. "Piece of cake!" I thought to myself... But I'm struggling with the snare accents over the swing BD pattern in the opening riff.

I can play the snare part A-1 if I just keep a steady boom-chick under it. But the second I put that simple kick variation in there, it unravels. Conversely, if I play the correct BD line and keep the train beat un-accented, it goes fine too. Been at it for a good hour now and it's coming along but still very much shaky.

This is kind of embarassing, I didn't expect to struggle that much on something that basic. Lately, I've been fueled by a false sense of confidence after easily nailing a bit of more advanced material.

I guess at times like these, the limitations of dis-organised self teaching really highlight the (many) holes in my learning process and foundationnal independence.

So, any of you fine folks have stories of fumbling on some basic stuff?

Last edited:

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The opening of Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey, at the transition from the riff into the first vocal line.
I got it right eventually and now probably couldn't do it again if my life depended on it.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The opening of Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey, at the transition from the riff into the first vocal line.
I got it right eventually and now probably couldn't do it again if my life depended on it.
This feels like a tape cut when it starts... I don't know the story behind it but I'm sure some knowledgeable Beatles afficionadowill enlighten us.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First kick is on 1. First snare is on the "+" of 2. Kick on the "+" of 4. Four bars of this slightly displaced beat, then into a standard 2 and 4 groove

K_ _S __ _K | K_ _S __ _K | K_ _S __ _K | K_ _S __ _K || K_ SK KK SK | etc...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To this day - my mind wants the first note of "Fire" by Hendrix to be on "1" rather than infinitely more correct "4"
Oh so it goes 4-1... I would have counted 1-2 for sure. Being primarily a lead singer, I shamefuly never properly learned to count music :icon_e_biggrin:

And to this day, even when playing drums, I internally "sing" the parts instead of going 1-2-3-4. I do this when playing guitar as well. If there is silence for a few beats, I just breath or nod to the beat until it feels it is time to get back in, but very rarely count per se. That is something that will definitely hurt the progress at some point so I'll try and work on correcting this.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The count on "I'm Free", from the Who's Tommy throws me every time, unless I just concentrate on the feel. (To this day I have no idea how the drum part is counted against the rhythm guitar.)

And of course, Bonzo's intro on "Rock 'N' Roll" starts on the and of 3, which also throws me, even after hearing it for the last 49 years.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The count on "I'm Free", from the Who's Tommy throws me every time, unless I just concentrate on the feel. (To this day I have no idea how the drum part is counted against the rhythm guitar.)

And of course, Bonzo's intro on "Rock 'N' Roll" starts on the and of 3, which also throws me, even after hearing it for the last 49 years.
Keith Moon really had his own weird inner metronome, god knows what kind of cosmic mosquitos he was trying to swat with his drumsticks. But dang! was that wild randomness was ever so entertaining. But as much as I love the old Who stuff, this is one of the bands from that era that I can't play along to.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don’t feel bad there is some AC/DC I stumble over ....
Funny you say that, I have a friend who did all sorts of heavy duty session work and various TV house bands. He once told me one of the hardest gig he ever had was subbing in an AC/DC tribute band for a biker rally show. The 35 songs felt like they were basically all one and the same, with only subtle changes that made all the difference. But after a few sonds during his set, they all started melting together and he couldn't for the life of him remember when and where those changes occured. He said he looked so hard at his charts to make sure he wouldn't drop the ball and anger the biker promoter, he nearly laser-burned his Ipad screen... :lol:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The intro to "In The Stone" by EWF drives me nuts! It sounds like it has some odd time thrown in there, but when I play the song to a metronome it stays in a perfect 4/4 time. I just can't get the count/feel of those two hits.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The intro to "In The Stone" by EWF drives me nuts! It sounds like it has some odd time thrown in there, but when I play the song to a metronome it stays in a perfect 4/4 time. I just can't get the count/feel of those two hits.
Had to look this one up because I did not know it... Boy does the intro sound like the theme song for the TV broadcast of the Olympics or other big sporting event sometimes in the late 70's... This is so cheerfuly bombastic and so far beyond cheesy, it becomes awesome... Thank you for the discovery it really put a smile to my face!!!

But yeah I know what you mean about the pseudo odd time feel.

Last edited:

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The beginning of One Of These Nights. I got it solid by counting the cadence as "Gonna Find Ya, Gonna Find Ya and One Of These Nights".

Also the beginning of Middle Of The Road. Still makes no sense to me but I had to count it brute force. Never quite became muscle memory. If I had to play it now I would have to figure it out all over again.