What seemingly easy song/part did you surprizingly struggle with?

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 12 y/o daughter learned Ballroom blitz on bass and I want to play it with her. "Piece of cake!" I thought to myself... But I'm struggling with the snare accents over the swing BD pattern in the opening riff.

I can play the snare part A-1 if I just keep a steady boom-chick under it. But the second I put that simple kick variation in there, it unravels. Conversely, if I play the correct BD line and keep the train beat un-accented, it goes fine too. Been at it for a good hour now and it's coming along but still very much shaky.

This is kind of embarassing, I didn't expect to struggle that much on something that basic. Lately, I've been fueled by a false sense of confidence after easily nailing a bit of more advanced material.

I guess at times like these, the limitations of dis-organised self teaching really highlight the (many) holes in my learning process and foundationnal independence.

So, any of you fine folks have stories of fumbling on some basic stuff?
Mick Tucker is an incredible drummer. I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

wtc

Reaction score
Honky Chateau is a terrific album. Nigel has got a great feel as always. Maybe the slap-back echo throws you off or the fact that Elton sings a rythmicaly busy line over the first 2 bars of the fill? Have you tried counting in 8th notes instead of in quarters? Uh 1- uh 2- uh 3- uh 4...that's what I do, and everything lines up nicely. Although Nigel is stretching the pocket quiiiiiite a bit, as he does most of the time.

Sorry I can't explain it better, some "real" drummer will chime in. Suffice it to say that if I can get it, you sure can too!!
Got it, thanks. I was counting with a dotted eight feel and it snapped together instantly.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
All You Need is Love has an awkward transition that caught me off guard at first .