What setup do you bring to club/bar/restaurant gigs?

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
12,tom,14 or 15 or 16 fltm,20 or 22 bass drum.
Cymbals,2 crashes,ride,hats and a 12" splash stacked over one crash,cowbell,hihat tamborine.
No 10s for me,although i own several.
I dont like em so i dont use them.

Rick

Reaction score
Restaurant gigs are mostly what I do. I play in the house band at Georgia Shrimp Company in Peachtree City, GA (Atlanta suburb) every Tuesday and Thursday night. It's a fairly small stage, but I've got it down to a science wedging myself into the back corner and taking up as little space as possible. I use my Tama Starclassic Maples for the gig: 22X18, 10, 12, and 16. And I use 13" hi hats, two 20" rides, an 18" crash, a 17" crash, and a 10" splash. Like somebody else said, with the cymbal stands, the footprint isn't really any bigger with the 18" deep bass drum. And I have the cymbals pretty tight with the drums. My footprint would be a little smaller with a bop kit, but we're only talking a few inches difference.

We do a lot of jazz, but also a lot of classic soul, funk, blues, etc. Most of the time we need to play pretty low dynamics due to it being a restaurant and tables literally right up next to the stage. Somebody asked about muffling a 22" bass drum for that situation. I really don't have a lot of muffling in it. I use Remo PS3 heads for both batter and reso (the batter is a clear and the reso is an ebony with mic port). I have a very small crescent shaped pillow (it's one of the DW 2-piece bass drum pillows) with about 6 inches of it lightly touching the batter head. I use a Tama Speed Cobra pedal with a Vic Firth wood shaft beater (the Peter Erskine designed one). That wood shaft beater gives me great control at all dynamics, so I have no trouble playing very softly and getting a low dynamic. Same thing with the rest of the drums. I'm using single-ply clear heads batter and reso on the toms (no dampening other than a half piece of moongel on the floor tom) and a single-ply coated batter head on the snare (I also use a half piece of moongel on that one). 5A sticks. The drums are very live, but I can play delicately enough to keep the dynamics low when needed. Those Starclassic Maples really sing and I love having the full tone to play with. We do use one mic placed on the floor under the snare drum, only because they pipe the music to their separate bar next door and their outdoor patio. It's not a very balanced mic setup but at least they can hear a little drums in the mix (mostly snare, hi hat, BD, and the 10" tom).

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My default kit is c/f 20k/12,14f. Sometimes I leave the floor tom home and go 3-piece, often using a timbale in place of the rack tom. When things get really tight, I use a timbale and ride cymbal mounted on a Pearl 8x20 Rhythm Traveler bass drum; one of the bandleaders I work with really likes that kit. On the rare occasion I need to go bigger, I use a 22 kick and a 16 floor with either a 12 rack or 10 & 12 racks, but that's almost never anymore. Snare is always a 5x14 Blacro.

2017-09-23-BigBats007.JPG

2016_10_23FallFestival018.JPG

2018-06-29-Romilos003.JPG

Last edited:

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm either rocking my Gretsch Broadkasters, 24, 12, 14 or my Q copper set 24, 13, 16. I always play the same cymbals unless the stage is too small for the RH crash - Istanbul Agop 16" trad hats, 20" thin trad crash, 22" mel ride, 22" trash hit, and 20" OM crash.

dangermoney

Reaction score
Typical: Ludwig CM 22/12/14 tuned according to style, snare, hats, ride, two 18" crashes, one 18" effects if needed.

Cajun: Late 80's Ludwig Super Classic 14x22" kick, 70' Supra 400, hats, ride, one 16" crash if needed.

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
As far as bass drum size, I use a 10x24 for small rooms/stages. The width doesn’t make any difference when you add the toms and hihat, but the depth makes a big difference, both in footprint and volume.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Snare, bass drum, floor tom, hats, crash, ride. That gets the job done, and if there is room I’ll throw in the rack tom.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the same setup for just about every gig (small club, outdoor, large venue, etc.) the only thing that may change is I may only use 1 crash instead of 2 and a different snare drum.

For about 99.9% of my gigs I'm using an 18"x14" kick, 12"x8" tom, 14"x14" floor tom, snare drum, 15" hi-hats, 18" & 19" crashes and a 22" ride. I play rock and country gigs using that setup.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I'll do between 80 to 100 gigs a year in a variety of large and small settings with 6 and 9 piece bands. I have a Pearl MLX kit in Porcaro sizes that I split into two kits. Larger venues get 10, 12, 16, 22 with any number of main snares and a piccolo on the left. 3 crashes, a ride, a splash, and 13" hats. Sometimes trade a crash for a china stack.

For smaller rooms and/or combos, I'll use the 18" floor tom as a kick drum with a homemade base, a 13" "floor" tom on the right, and any number of snares. I'll sometimes add a djembe on the left if it's very acoustic. A ride cymbal and hats for that set - no crashes.

I love the creativity that the small combo kit brings.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Restaurants and bars are very different gigs. Especially Friday night gigs in bars. For restaurants I want to be quieter, for Friday nights in bars I can be louder.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
My classic maple 22,13,16 typically does most of my gigs. I also have a 14x14 as an add on so I can do the double floor tom thing if space requires. For a low volume or a smaller room I will often times take my 1971 mod orange clubdate. Those drums are easy to set up, look cool and sound great. I just like the feel of the 22 if I am playing a bigger room.

Once in a great while I will use my cocktail set if it's an acoustic scaled down type of thing. That set is a 1968 Ludwig BDP for the main drum with a 1959 BDP Ludwig(trans badge) jazz combo.

Attachments

Latest posts