What setup do you bring to club/bar/restaurant gigs?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like all I play these days are small clubs/restaurant gigs or at least the ones I have to bring drums too. Two places I play that are actually big enough that I could take my 22" Kick already has a back line.

So for most gigs I take my 12,14,18 kit. I have an Inde mount on the kick for a 20" ride cymbal and use a 16" crash on the left with a flat base cymbal stand and try to tuck it up as close as I can and still be comfortable. Leaves room on each side for amps. Played a big outdoor stage a few weeks ago and forgot to load my 22" so used the 18" the sound guys all said it sounded great out front.

Drumceet

Reaction score
I’ve got a few shows coming up, and I usually just bring 22/12/18 and snare. I do have a 14” floor tom as well but I have yet to add it during a live show.

Last live show I played I brought all my cymbals, but the show next Saturday I think I’ll scale back and just bring two crashes and a ride.

I like to set the whole thing up at home, but live I like to keep it simple.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
My usual genres are rock/blues/funk, and most of my gigs have always been small clubs and restaurants. I only have 1 kit and it gets set up pretty much the same everywhere. It's a 2 up 2 down 1980 Pearl Maple shell kit. Standard depth 13, 14, 16, and 18 toms, 24×14 bass, and 6.5×14 COB snare. Usually have 14" hats, a 12" splash, 16" and 18" crashes, and a 21" ride. In the rare instance I run into issues fitting everything on stage I'll leave off the 18" floor tom, and if there is an abundance of space I'll sometimes even bring my 3×13 Maple piccolo as an auxiliary side snare off to the left.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
What setup do you guys use when you have a bar gig? Club, restaurant, etc. Obviously, it’s going to be different depending on style. Let’s assume rock/blues/etc oriented.

Anyone bringing out big drums with a 24? Or do you find that it tends to work better with a smaller setup? 20 bass and so on. I’d imagine that for many of us, these gigs don’t involve mic’s on the drums.

A few years ago, when I had this situation, I would usually bring out old super classics. In hind sight, smaller drums may have been the ticket there. At the same time, a 24x14 just has a certain thing that a small kick drum doesn’t have...IMO.

How about cymbals?

I take my Classic Maple Downbeats, which I can somehow adapt to any venue. Or maybe they adapt me. It’s the cymbals and snare that change depending on the venue: Acrolite with K Custom Dark ride, an 18 Custom Dark crash, 15 K light hats, for smaller venues and a Supra or CM snare for larger venues, with the ride switching to a K medium for greater ping-ability, a pre-Aged Dry Light as a crash, and hollow logo 14 inch New Beats.
For an outdoor party, well, the above are mixed. In this photo the CM snare was brought along to ride shotgun as I’d just switched to a vintage ambassador batter and 30 strand wires and I wasn’t sure how it’d sound outside with no mics or walls to bounce off. It outperformed the Supra. The whole kit outperformed me, but that’s just a Ludwig Downbeat thing.
86EBC560-DFC5-4DF3-B788-1275DF0CA1DF.jpeg

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
12-14-18 USA Customs or 12-14-20 Brooklyn's (16" floor tom is on order), with my trusty 6.5 BB and Paiste Masters Thins. After a couple of years of using a suitcase rig or small percussion rig, I finally feel comfortable bringing a real drum set into some of the more quiet venues we often play. Had to build up a trust with the venue that I can actually play quietly enough with real drums. Both bass drums are internally mic'd should the need to get a bit louder arise, and I carry an AKG C414 with me always, just in case we need to blend the top of the set with the bass drum.

cafe med rig.jpg

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Usually either of these: Tama Starclassic Maple 20”12”15” and a couple of cymbals or the Tama Silverstars with one or two toms; 20x10” 12x7” 14x9”. Usually I take the Maple kit because of the killer sound but sometimes the small one is all I need.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
36476748_10215029028991395_1585556691364085760_n.jpg

For intimate gigs I use this Rogers players kit without the 16" floor. 14x20, 8x12 & a 10x14 XP8 on a Worldmax cradle.

dingaling

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be best just to use your 12/14/20BD Ludwig "Clubdate" for club dates?
Light weight, sounds amazing, looks good, 14" deep bass will fit on most stages and not too expensive, compared to a new modern kit so if it gets a little banged up you aren't losing value on a re-sale situation.
I'm assuming everyone on here has one vintage club date though...and if not you should go get one!

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
So many Acrolites out in the wild. No surprise. They are like seeing deer in Northern California.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You know; if you work at it you can put a descent size kit on really small stages. The biggest problem is stands and the hi-hat is the worst; you just gotta have it.

I play a two up and one down kit on a tinny stage; 10, 12 & 16. The 10 and 12 hangs over the bass drum from cymbal stands. So they not the problem. Now the foot print of the stands are adjustable, you just have to make sure they balance with the cymbal and tom. The 10" tom/cymbal stand is no wider than the Hi-hat just behind it and the 12" tom/cymbal stand is also snuggled up close to the bass. When using both toms the vertical stand tubes are (+ or -) 30" apart so just about any 16, 18, 20 or 22 bass will fit and maybe a 24". Now my 18 and 22 are both 16" in depth and I have noticed that my 14x20 bass works the best on a small stage.

Floor toms aren't a problem, a nice 14 or 16 will fit almost any stage next to your butt behind the bass.

Go back and study the photos provided above and you will notice the kits with the smallest foot prints have a single tom mounted on the bass and some also have the ride cymbal mounted as well. That's just not my thing due to the fact that my toms are fairly heavy. Although I did own a Catalina Club for awhile with a mounted tom and they were light weight, had a nice sound and a quick setup and tear down.

Just some thoughts,
sherm

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since I started giging again, post surgery. It's always been 24, 10, 14. 1 crash. Hopefully in the near future, I'll go to 3 toms, 2 crashes, and a splash. I basically bring the minimum needed to play the tunes.
It feels great to play out again! I wasn't sure if I would ever preform again.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the question. Sorry.

Clubs and Restaurants are two TOTALLY different venues. Bars are somewhere in between. One size does not fit all here.

For smaller restaurant/wine room/intimate settings - I typically bring my Handsonic. Doesn't get any smaller or volume controlled than that. If I"m playing a kit, it'll be my 12/14/18 Jazzette.

For Club gigs, I'll typically bring 12/14f/16f/20 or 22k. Depends on the room and/or the group.

I don't play bars anymore (do they even still have music? Karaoke Night and Trucker-Hat Acoustic Chad doesn't count) but it would be a small setup back when I did. First 12/14/20, eventually my Bikini setup, and then went to the Handsonic.

Most of my gigs are weddings/corporate/private agency type things... our contract specifies a 16x20 minimum stage size, 20x24 preferred, so I don't really have any space concerns. That said, it's still 13/16/22 with one crash one ride and a set of hats. I just don't need any more than that. Even with someone tech'ing for me, I just can't justify bringing more stuff.

It's the stands and some drummer's obsession with bringing 14 darn cymbals to a gig that creates space problems on the stage. Keep it to a nice crash/ride, hats and a single left side crash and your setup is dramatically easier to set-up and break down.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
When playing small bars and restaurants, for both bands I play in, (country/old rock/regular bar stuff, and a motown/soul/R&B type revue) I've been using my Spaun 14x20, an 11x14 Spaun tom I put legs on, old Acrolite, old 20" Zildjian I got new in 1968, 17" Paiste 2002 crash, 14" Masterwork hats.
For the occasional time the church band I play in moves to another room, I use an SPL 16" kid's bass drum with 16" or 17" cymbal attached, the acro and whatever set of hats I grab...

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I did one yesterday - 15x12 Keystone Ludwig marching snare( get a decent bo diddley going with the snares off and mallets) , 13" Dream hats , 12" Remo Djembe, 11" Paiste Traditionals splash and an assortment of shakers , jingle sticks,mallets and other toys . One trip to the car .

Martin guitar , harmonica, accordion and me . Three of us sing ... BOSE micro tower PA . Small room, @ 100 people . Wine and dine , older crowd , home by 9 o'colock , gas money for the rest of the month .

Pretty low tech outfit so we don't record our performances usually , here's one we do/did

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with the question. Sorry.

Clubs and Restaurants are two TOTALLY different venues. Bars are somewhere in between. One size does not fit all here.

For smaller restaurant/wine room/intimate settings - I typically bring my Handsonic. Doesn't get any smaller or volume controlled than that. If I"m playing a kit, it'll be my 12/14/18 Jazzette.

For Club gigs, I'll typically bring 12/14f/16f/20 or 22k. Depends on the room and/or the group.

I don't play bars anymore (do they even still have music? Karaoke Night and Trucker-Hat Acoustic Chad doesn't count) but it would be a small setup back when I did. First 12/14/20, eventually my Bikini setup, and then went to the Handsonic.

Most of my gigs are weddings/corporate/private agency type things... our contract specifies a 16x20 minimum stage size, 20x24 preferred, so I don't really have any space concerns. That said, it's still 13/16/22 with one crash one ride and a set of hats. I just don't need any more than that. Even with someone tech'ing for me, I just can't justify bringing more stuff.

It's the stands and some drummer's obsession with bringing 14 darn cymbals to a gig that creates space problems on the stage. Keep it to a nice crash/ride, hats and a single left side crash and your setup is dramatically easier to set-up and break down.
A 4-piece with two cymbals (16c, 18 sizzle ride + hats) is all I ever use anymore for 95% of my gigs - generally don't need more than that. In my case, it comes in two flavors: Tama Metro Jam (16k/10,13f) or my carbon fiber set (20k/12,14f). If I'm doing a jazz gig, I'll swap out the crash for an 18 flat ride.

IMG_9941.JPG

IMG_9930.JPG

2018-10-28-FallFest003.JPG

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Basically, this is what I carry to almost all my gigs. I delete pieces based on the footprint of the stage. The cymbal on my far right is the first to go, then the left side cymbal, then the toms. Never had to play a gig with less than snare/bass/hat/ride for space reasons before, though I've played a bunch that way, anyway.

I have thought of buying one of those Tama Club-Jam things, though. Those things actually shrink the overall footprint a bit.

Latest posts