What should my 'other' bass drum be.

DoYouLikeHam

Reaction score
Hi folks.. I have a 18x22 kick... considering to get a matching ?x18 (14-16" deep likely).

The larger kick is perhaps obviously more suited to heavier / rock, etc.

The intent of the smaller kick is for small venue, small group playing... jazz type playing, etc.

It's a bit aspirational.. it's been years since I've played out.. but I got a new kit back in Jan (8, 10, 12 TT, 14, 16 FT, and the aforementioned kick) ( A slight upgrade from my old 90's Tama Rockstar-dx, I'd say).

It's one of the specialty DW woods that down the road aren't going to be available.

The question I have is... does it make more sense to go more towards the 'opposite' end of the spectrum here from the 18x22 down to a 14x18... or would there be a good reason I'd want to get just a slightly smaller 20"?

I'm thinking the 18 could be a bit more flexible.. I could use it as another FT/gong or as a kick.

Thx for any ideas.. love to hear thoughts, e.g., 'you should really think about x, y, z...'

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently bought three additional kit drums to go with my 2019 Gretsch USA Custom kit. To me 14" depth seems just right on an 18" drum.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, 18x14 is definitely the way to go, especially if you're playing jazz stuff. 18x16s look like a cannon -- I hate that additional depth, anyways, doesn't do much to better the sound of the drum. I have an in-betweener, as the Stage Custom Birch Bop kicks are 18x15s, and that's about as deep as I would ever go. It's perfectly fine for my bop combo; I've not used it for any other types of gigs/styles, so I can't say how well it'd work in other situations, but I do like having an 18" among my many 22"s.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recommend getting both an 18 & a 20.
I mean, it's not my $.
14 depth on the 18
maybe split the difference on the 20 & go 16 deep.

DoYouLikeHam

Reaction score
hi @Bongo Brad - the thought had crossed my mind... through, my understanding is that people will go w/ 20’s as a compromise between 22 and 18... what do you think I’d get out of a 20 that I wouldn’t already be able to get to from the 18 or the 22?

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ham, I'm mostly joking. I have 18, 20 & 24's, no 22. My 18 & 20's are set up completely different, so it's tough to answer your question. I can make my 18 sound like a rock drum if needed, but it'll need a mic to compete with big guitar amps.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hi @Bongo Brad - the thought had crossed my mind... through, my understanding is that people will go w/ 20’s as a compromise between 22 and 18... what do you think I’d get out of a 20 that I wouldn’t already be able to get to from the 18 or the 22?
I’d go with a 20 if I only had one kick and needed to cover both rock and jazz gigs. Seeing as you’re getting a second, I’d definitely go with an 18 since you already have the 22.

Browny

Reaction score
14" deep is the way to go.

18x14" if you're set on that sound.

20x14" if you want something that can do the higher tuned jazz thing but also muffle to taste to do funk/Motown/punchier rock thing.

I'd go the 20x14". Your 22x18" will do the bigger and more modern rock sounds while the 20x14" can go more vintage/vibey for beatbeat stuff as well as the more classic jazz sound.

That's my 2 cents (which I think has dropped down to about 1.2 US cents.... )

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a used Tama Silverstar bop kit with a 14x18 bass drum that sounds surprisingly big and fat. It's a lot of fun to play (it makes me feel like I'm riding a dirt bike instead of driving a car).

In the late-80s I had a small jam kit whose bass drum was a DIY converted Gretsch 16x18 floor tom (way back before jungle conversion kits), but it didn't sound anywhere near as good as this 14x18 Tama.

Since you've already got a 22, this is moot, but I also agree with Ptrick above that a 20 would be the way to go if you only had one bass drum. Since about 2005, I've primarily used a 16x20 kick; my 22 mainly hibernates in its bag and never sees the light of day. l used it on two gigs last year just to remind myself that I had it, but the 20 would've done the job just as well.

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
14x18 fur shur. With those 2 bass drums, and the combo of toms, this will give you the ability to cover anything that comes your way. A very sensible shell bank. 22 and 20 are in similar territory but the 18 is a whole different animal. You can tune an 18 down to sound more like a 20, but imo you can never quite get a 20 to sound like an 18. And of course, if you have any interest in jazz you must have a 14x18.

14x18 is a blast, they’re fun to play, you can get that classic bop tone OR you can get a surprisingly big low tone. It makes for a nice layout too, you can get everything where you want it. I love an 18 with a cymbal mount on it, enables you to set up with NO cymbal stands (other than hh). The most fun you can have with your clothes on is a 12/14/18 with a crashable ride mounted on the bass, and a good set of hats - a stripped down drum cafe racer.

Latest posts