What signature drum gear is or is not the same model played by that person?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Buddy stick and the "what signature products disappoint" threads inspired me to start this offshoot thread, which I hope has not been contemplated before. I am not talking about a certain piece that was actually used by someone, but whether a certain signature model drum/cymbal/stick/etc. was the same model generally used by a certain player. I get that players play and change gear all the time, or use/advertise X brand, but play Y brand in the studio, etc.

Pearl Chad Smith snare - not played by him. Bummed me out and I returned it.
Buddy Rick white VF sticks - not played by him per the Buddy stick post.
DW Neil Peart Snakes & Arrows snare - I understand it was modeled after the one he used that tour so in theory, it was the "same" model. Owned one, returned it stupidly.
Pearl Tico Torres snare - I owned one - I have no clue. Bon Jovi drummer.
Pearl Smitty Smith snare - I owned one - again, no clue.
Gretsch Elvin Jones sticks - I have an older pair - no clue.
Pro Mark Elvin Jones sticks - I bought a pair owned and played by Elvin, so I presume yes.
Bill Stewart Zildjian stick - no clue. Nice light sticks.
Bill Bruford Promark stick - no clue. Nice light small stick - like an SD2 Bolero but thinner and shorter.
Neil Peart 747's Oak - no clue but I got a pair in the 90's....I'd like to think yes, but I didn't like them.
Steve Gadd black with white plastic tip sticks - I think yes? Great sticks.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
like to see (again) the Steve Gadd demo his session Cymbal line video. Saw it once it's on you tube where he plays thru many series alone.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - cool. I knew that about Gadd.

As for the Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams cymbals, obviously TW didn't play those and they are simply modeled after his original cymbals and basically have his name on them.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy played his snare on rare occassions. Usually played his go-to, though. From what I've read, it bugged the heck out of Bud Slingerland. What're ya gonna do, though. It's Buddy.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stewart Copeland definitely plays his Blue Bell Signature ride, which is loosely based on another Paiste Signature ride, as does Aquilles Priester with his Giga Bell (one on each side of his kit). Joey Jordison doesn’t play his signature Pearl drum kit or his signature Paiste cymbals.

Demonslayer

Reaction score
Yes - cool. I knew that about Gadd.

As for the Istanbul Mehmet Tony Williams cymbals, obviously TW didn't play those and they are simply modeled after his original cymbals and basically have his name on them.
That's an important observation bc these cost an arm and a leg.

Demonslayer

Reaction score
I don't know how much or little Vinnie played his signature white Yamaha, but I'm almost sure he was already using the Longos at the time.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had any signature drum gear other than maybe sticks...
Not sure why, but I think it goes back to my younger, younger Little League days when I would see signature baseball gloves and bats in stores, but the ones that the players used would rarely even be close, so I just figured it was marketing..
I remember I had a John Milner (NY Mets 1st Base/#28, for those old enough to remember) bat that was black from the handle up... I never saw him use a black bat... but I liked the bat anyway.

So a few years later with drum gear I just assumed that while the signatory person may have had a hand in designing it, there were so many other factors in actually getting the piece of gear to sound like someone ( including the touch that the player themselves had) that I just never bothered to get too caught up in the signature thing.

I will say I played an Anton Fig snare in a studio once and really liked it... but I would have liked it even if it was not a signature snare.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say I played an Anton Fig snare in a studio once and really liked it... but I would have liked it even if it was not a signature snare.
His mom lives down the road. I haven't crossed paths yet with him, but maybe one day. I'd love to swap snare stories with the guy. His snare is so doggone good. I played one for a bit. I love those wood hoops. I put those on my Birch Custom snare for live gigs ... great sounds.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Mike Bordin and Akira Jimbo both use/used their Yamaha signature snares. Most of the Yamaha signature snares are/were used by their endorsers.

At one point many years ago, Chad Smith used to not use his Pearl signature snare and instead used Jimmy Chamberlin's signature Yamaha snare.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the early '90s when Tama first released Bill Bruford's signature snare I saw Earthworks live at the Catalina Bar & Grill and noticed that Bruford was indeed using his signature drum. During a break I asked him why the drum featured 3-flange steel hoops when all the other Starclassics in his rig had cast hoops and he said that he didn't care for the sound of cast hoops on a snare; he liked the extra brightness he got from the thinner hoop.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Carl Palmer uses his green snare, too.........
So many times, a minor change could easily constitute a “signature” item. I once made the “Dumpy Signature piccolo rap only snare”. I put gang banger graphics on with magic marker, threw a die cast hoop on there. It nearly sounded like an electronic drum.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
When Gibson bought Slingerland, they wanted a young, hip drummer to endorse their drums and they signed up Tre Cool from Green Day. They quickly offered a Tre Cool signature kit that were imported and were nothing like the drums he played. He may have used them when he would burn his drums onstage, but I think his main set at the time were Studio Kings.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When Gibson bought Slingerland, they wanted a young, hip drummer to endorse their drums and they signed up Tre Cool from Green Day. They quickly offered a Tre Cool signature kit that were imported and were nothing like the drums he played. He may have used them when he would burn his drums onstage, but I think his main set at the time were Studio Kings.
Who is Red Week, I mean Green Day?

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I know Nicko plays his signature cymbal. Gadd plays his gear, Garibaldi plays his sticks...

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chad smith uses his signature snare but more as a timbale with no bottom head. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him use his pearl
Or do signature snare as a Main snare. Or his matching snare to his kits.