What signature drum gear is or is not the same model played by that person?

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Gretsch Taylor Hawkins signature steel snare - I believe he plays a brass or bronze snare usually.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
His mom lives down the road. I haven't crossed paths yet with him, but maybe one day. I'd love to swap snare stories with the guy. His snare is so doggone good. I played one for a bit. I love those wood hoops. I put those on my Birch Custom snare for live gigs ... great sounds.
Anton had zero input on his Signature snare. As told to me here https://www.drumforum.org/threads/solved-anton-fig-snare.130826/page-2#post-1441872

If anyone cares how or where I was talking to Anton.... https://www.drumforum.org/threads/dave-letterman-ask-are-those-your-drums.83918/#post-917657

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Gretsch signature Steve Ferrone 6.5 Aluminum shell with a titanium coating,i doubt he plays these snares!
4 of the tube lugs have come apart!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bun E Carlos had input in the specs for his signature kit and snare drum ( limited edition Citrus Mod Glass Glitter) and played them on tour .

Peter Erskine plays his signature gear a lot, these include his sticks and snare drums .

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
DW did some posthumous Buddy Rich sets and a fancy snare with his signature and picture on it before Cathy pulled her support and moved on to the less than successful Buddy Rich drum company. None of these products had any actual connection to Buddy who had been long gone by then.

DW is now in a position where they could offer true Buddy Rich signature Slingerland sets, either a modern 80N outfit or copy his Radio Kings. Seems a no brainer to do one or both if they can get Cathy on board.

mpthomson

Reaction score
Two Sonor signature (with a small 's') snare drums;

Danny Carey 14x8 bronze. Never used by him, he's always used 8" cast drums, not normally Sonor (often a VK drum from Sheffield in Yorkshire!).
Mikkey Dee 14x7.25 birch. Never used by him, he used either a SonorLite with the parallel mechanism or a Designer maple snare but later on a SQ2 snare in Lite type specs (with Motorhead when Lemmy was still with us and then Scorpions).

Phil Rudd does use his drum, which is based on a Signature Symphony SY 1405 drum that he used for years. He used Gretsch COB drums for many years live, hence the COB of his current drum.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
like to see (again) the Steve Gadd demo his session Cymbal line video. Saw it once it's on you tube where he plays thru many series alone.
Took about 30 seconds to find. Google is your friend. I had the DVD when I was gifted a Session set, with which it came.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Buddy played his snare on rare occassions. Usually played his go-to, though. From what I've read, it bugged the heck out of Bud Slingerland. What're ya gonna do, though. It's Buddy.
I'll tell you what really annoys me, lately. Dealers and individual sellers are naming EVERYTHING of the Slingerland brand with Buddy's name attached to it; Buddy Rich snare, Buddy Rich cymbal stand, Buddy Rich bass pedal, Buddy Rich cowbell, Buddy Rich toothbrush!! Enough is enough!

I remember when Buddy was part of a musical team, starring in a Summer TV variety show, back in the 60s. In the credits at the end, it said "Buddy's drums by Vox". In just a couple weeks, I noticed that "Vox" had been deleted from the credits.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what really annoys me, lately. Dealers and individual sellers are naming EVERYTHING of the Slingerland brand with Buddy's name attached to it; Buddy Rich snare, Buddy Rich cymbal stand, Buddy Rich bass pedal, Buddy Rich cowbell, Buddy Rich toothbrush!! Enough is enough!
Well, yeah. I tend to agree ... however ...
Buddy did have a Slingerland signature kit and several signature snares, though ...
Here's a few examples ...

NO. 80N Buddy Rich Outfit

No. 176,177,178,179 4x14 ... numbers denoted the choice of finish

153 5-1/2 x 14 Buddy Rich Snare Drum

Buddy Rich Artists' Model Radio King "Swingster"
180, 182 6-1/2 x 14 (Duco or Pearl Finish)
184, 186 7x14 (Duco or Pearl Finish)
188, 190 8x14 (Duco or Pearl Finish)

Even some of the hardware bore Buddy's name ...
66 Buddy Rich Cymbal Stand

Gene has had several signature kits and snares over the years ... as well as a few others (Joe Cusatis, Ray McKinley, etc)

I think that's probably where they picked up on the name attachment.
Some of the sellers do tend to go overboard and use the name for every piece of the kit, which is technically incorrect. But I do understand how that happens.

I'd rather see the Buddy error than the Ringo error. Ringo never technically had a signature kit. Buddy at least has some good foundation to stand on when throwing the name. I think that's why I tend to give some leeway.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never bought something because it had someone's name on it; I bought it because I liked how it felt, sounded or helped me get my ideas across better. Consequently, I've never been disappointed.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
The only signature gear I have are two of the Yamaha Peter Erskine signature snares - the 10" sopranino and the 12" soprano. I was in university when I first heard him use them on the 1994 Time Being album, and I thought it was such a different and unexpected sound. Nostalgia is a strong motivator...and now that I have them, I still sound absolutely nothing like him, sadly.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the flip side, those Mehmets are a heck of a lot cheaper than actually trying to get cymbals similar to what TW actually played in the Miles days. Not that there aren't plenty of other options.

That's an important observation bc these cost an arm and a leg.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
I think Carl Palmer uses his green snare, too.........
Yes, Carl does use his "Venus" Signature snare drum. It's his workhorse. The first run had problems with the strainer lever and he made sure LUDWIG would replace it with an improved one. He also insisted on the remo head as he plays on his snare as well.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many times, a minor change could easily constitute a “signature” item. I once made the “Dumpy Signature piccolo rap only snare”. I put gang banger graphics on with magic marker, threw a die cast hoop on there. It nearly sounded like an electronic drum.
I've never given into what somebody else used or endorsed. I've only bought one new kit in my near 6 decades of drumming. That was a Radio-King set in 1963. Ever since every kit has been a used set. Never gave a thought about what someone used, it's never been important when it came to my chosen gear. I know quality when I hear it. I've never really given much into what my drums looked like either. They gotta be able to give me the sound I want first. Buddy could've had his name on a pair of socks for that matter.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
Bonham could play any kit and you would instantly know it was him playing. So maybe it isn't as much the product as it is the person playing.