What signature drum gear is or is not the same model played by that person?

Ely

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Benny Greb uses all of the different versions of his signature snares as well as his signature line of cymbals and his signature sticks.

arthurvint

Reaction score
So the Buddy stick and the "what signature products disappoint" threads inspired me to start this offshoot thread, which I hope has not been contemplated before. I am not talking about a certain piece that was actually used by someone, but whether a certain signature model drum/cymbal/stick/etc. was the same model generally used by a certain player. I get that players play and change gear all the time, or use/advertise X brand, but play Y brand in the studio, etc.

Pearl Chad Smith snare - not played by him. Bummed me out and I returned it.
Buddy Rick white VF sticks - not played by him per the Buddy stick post.
DW Neil Peart Snakes & Arrows snare - I understand it was modeled after the one he used that tour so in theory, it was the "same" model. Owned one, returned it stupidly.
Pearl Tico Torres snare - I owned one - I have no clue. Bon Jovi drummer.
Pearl Smitty Smith snare - I owned one - again, no clue.
Gretsch Elvin Jones sticks - I have an older pair - no clue.
Pro Mark Elvin Jones sticks - I bought a pair owned and played by Elvin, so I presume yes.
Bill Stewart Zildjian stick - no clue. Nice light sticks.
Bill Bruford Promark stick - no clue. Nice light small stick - like an SD2 Bolero but thinner and shorter.
Neil Peart 747's Oak - no clue but I got a pair in the 90's....I'd like to think yes, but I didn't like them.
Steve Gadd black with white plastic tip sticks - I think yes? Great sticks.
Bill Stewart plays the John Riley Signature sticks!!

toddbishop

Reaction score
I'm told Mark Giuliana bought a Cymbal & Gong cymbal last time he was in Portland.

I'm sure whatever he does with it is in compliance with his endorsement agreements-- I don't want to get him in trouble!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah. I tend to agree ... however ...
Buddy did have a Slingerland signature kit and several signature snares, though ...
Here's a few examples ...

NO. 80N Buddy Rich Outfit

No. 176,177,178,179 4x14 ... numbers denoted the choice of finish

153 5-1/2 x 14 Buddy Rich Snare Drum

Buddy Rich Artists' Model Radio King "Swingster"
180, 182 6-1/2 x 14 (Duco or Pearl Finish)
184, 186 7x14 (Duco or Pearl Finish)
188, 190 8x14 (Duco or Pearl Finish)

Even some of the hardware bore Buddy's name ...
66 Buddy Rich Cymbal Stand

Gene has had several signature kits and snares over the years ... as well as a few others (Joe Cusatis, Ray McKinley, etc)

I think that's probably where they picked up on the name attachment.
Some of the sellers do tend to go overboard and use the name for every piece of the kit, which is technically incorrect. But I do understand how that happens.

I'd rather see the Buddy error than the Ringo error. Ringo never technically had a signature kit. Buddy at least has some good foundation to stand on when throwing the name. I think that's why I tend to give some leeway.
I think every brand of drum BR endorsed, and that were quite a few, had a “Buddy Rich” configuration :D

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Portnoy used his whole array of signature stuff.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Pro Mark Elvin Jones sticks - I bought a pair owned and played by Elvin, so I presume yes.
Bill Bruford Promark stick - no clue. Nice light small stick - like an SD2 Bolero but thinner and shorter.
Steve Gadd black with white plastic tip sticks - I think yes? Great sticks.
Elvin actually played his signature sticks as well as his Yamaha snare.
Bruford did play his signature sticks as well - basically Promark's take on the VF SD4.
Steve Gadd plays his sticks and his Yamaha snare, not sure about the Session cymbals these days...

Morgan Rose played (plays?) his Pearl "Alien" snare (had one for a while - dang good steel snare).

Jojo Mayer uses pretty much everything he put his name on (VF sticks, Sabian Fierce and Omni cymbals, hoop crasher...).