What size tension rods for a Ludwig Acro

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I should have added I don’t need length, just the width or girth.
The only question I've ever heard is "what length tension rods do I need". I don't understand what you mean by "width or girth". Since you're not concerned with length, you just need "standard" tension rods that are 12-24 threaded.

-Mark

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Except for some imports (and DW) which use a different thread American drums (including Ludwig) all used the same type of tension rods that were the equivalent of a #12 bolt size (that would be the "girth" I guess) with 24 threads per inch...hence 12-24. Because of that the only variable you need to be concerned with is the length required to reach from the hoop to the end of the swivel nut inside the lug. There is around an extra inch of space inside the lug that any excess length can occupy so even the length isn't a hyper-critical thing as long as it is long enough to do the job and not excessively too long.

You ought to be able to find packs of standard tension rods of a workable length for an Acro at any Guitar Center. On a 5" acro shell the distance looks to be a bit over an inch and I'd probably buy something in the inch and a quarter to inch and a half range of length.

If you're asking what the correct factory length was originally then I don't have that answer. I'd suspect there would not have been one specific length that was always used on acros because Ludwig was good at using whatever they had on hand (particularly so on the "Student" model Acrolite) so, while they would likely tend to use the shortest (cheapest) length possible, they may have also used longer than necessary rods if they had a surplus of them on hand.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Except for some imports (and DW) which use a different thread American drums (including Ludwig) all used the same type of tension rods that were the equivalent of a #12 bolt size (that would be the "girth" I guess) with 24 threads per inch...hence 12-24. Because of that the only variable you need to be concerned with is the length required to reach from the hoop to the end of the swivel nut inside the lug. There is around an extra inch of space inside the lug that any excess length can occupy so even the length isn't a hyper-critical thing as long as it is long enough to do the job and not excessively too long.

You ought to be able to find packs of standard tension rods of a workable length for an Acro at any Guitar Center. On a 5" acro shell the distance looks to be a bit over an inch and I'd probably buy something in the inch and a quarter to inch and a half range of length.

If you're asking what the correct factory length was originally then I don't have that answer. I'd suspect there would not have been one specific length that was always used on acros because Ludwig was good at using whatever they had on hand (particularly so on the "Student" model Acrolite) so, while they would likely tend to use the shortest (cheapest) length possible, they may have also used longer than necessary rods if they had a surplus of them on hand.
I own all DW and 1 Tama kit and the lugs are different on the Ludwigs and Tama then the DW so your reply is most appreciated.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only question I've ever heard is "what length tension rods do I need". I don't understand what you mean by "width or girth". Since you're not concerned with length, you just need "standard" tension rods that are 12-24 threaded.

-Mark
I’m a bit confused to since I’m doing this by proxy. A kid I know found a Acrolite with bent rods and I gave him some extra DW rods I had. He took them home and said they don’t tension right and are too wide? Naturaly I think Ludwig has a different rod width never considering thread count since he said to wide. K.O.s post opened my eyes from my sleep walk.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused to since I’m doing this by proxy. A kid I know found a Acrolite with bent rods and I gave him some extra DW rods I had. He took them home and said they don’t tension right and are too wide? Naturaly I think Ludwig has a different rod width never considering thread count since he said to wide. K.O.s post opened my eyes from my sleep walk.
DW is the problem word in that sentence. They just have to be different. Pretty much ANY other tension rods you would be likely to have handed him would have worked.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DW's tension rods are 10-32 thread, with the industry standard being 12-24 thread. I believe that the issue is how this person you are helping out is describing the tension rods. If anything, DW rods are thinner than standard rods. It should be fairly easy to find tension rods for an Acrolite. If you have a local Guitar Center or Sam Ash, they'll have them. You can find them fairly cheap online, at sites such as Drum Factory Direct.

-Mark

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO broke it down very well. In addition, a tip to avoid cross threading; like count threads will roll together. It’s an easy trick to avoid damage. Simply take the correct rod (providing you have one) and roll it within the threads on of another rod. Different thread counts will not roll together.

Last edited:

Latest posts