What stick do you wish they would make ?

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also the Carter McClean Promark stick looks interesting but I cant seem to find them for sale.

markie04drum

Reaction score
I would love for Zildjian to bring back the Maple Acorn Tip without the “dip” or Vic Firth to make it.

Also, the SD2 Bolero with the Erskine Ride tip

J-dubya

Reaction score
I liked the Danny Carey signature sticks back when he was with Trueline.
They were a little longer (16.5"?) and had a unique bulge at the grip/balance-point that allowed for a very relaxed grip without the sticks working their way out of your hands.
Regular sticks want to do just that, for me, but it's likely a combination of poor technique and the fact that I use longer sticks since I have a fairly short reach and a fairly big kit.
I have yet to try his Vic Firth signatures where there is a groove carved into the stick instead of a bulge outward. I may give them a try someday but I always hated to get too attached to any signature sticks since they are likely to change and are sometimes harder to get then run-of-the-mill sticks.

So for me, I wish they would make a 16.5"-16.75" 5B with a "Danny Carey bulge" :blush: and a nylon tip.

Last edited:

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had rich sticks make me the perfect stick, before they went out of business. It's a slightly thicker Peter Erskine Ride Stick with a Regal Tip style lacquer. Now if only Vic Firth would do a lacquer Erskine stick, or Regal Tip would make a long taper stick with an elongated acorn tip I'd be all set.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need some of those "licking sticks" that James Brown sang so lovingly about in 1968! <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the Danny Carey signature sticks back when he was with Vater.
They were a little longer (16.5"?) and had a unique bulge at the grip/balance-point that allowed for a very relaxed grip without the sticks working their way out of your hands.
Regular sticks want to do just that, for me, but it's likely a combination of poor technique and the fact that I use longer sticks since I have a fairly short reach and a fairly big kit.
I have yet to try his Vic Firth signatures where there is a groove carved into the stick instead of a bulge outward. I may give them a try someday but I always hated to get too attached to any signature sticks since they are likely to change and are sometimes harder to get then run-of-the-mill sticks.

So for me, I wish they would make a 16.5"-16.75" 5B with a "Danny Carey bulge" :blush: and a nylon tip.
Beat me to it , Billy Ward also used a stick with a bulge in it .

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had rich sticks make me the perfect stick, before they went out of business. It's a slightly thicker Peter Erskine Ride Stick with a Regal Tip style lacquer. Now if only Vic Firth would do a lacquer Erskine stick, or Regal Tip would make a long taper stick with an elongated acorn tip I'd be all set.
I too enjoyed the Rich sticks before they went out of business.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like some Promark SD1 in "The Natural" finish (rough) and SD1 sticks made from bamboo.
Heck, a brick of SD1's in rosewood..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made in Austria though so not a big help to you...
au contraire mon frere! thank you will check that out

Nice
Length: 409 mm / 16.10 ″
Diameter: 16.10 mm / 0.630 ″
Model: M SD3 Rebound
Wood / Material: Selected American Hardmaple

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SD2 Bolero in hickory, not maple. I blow thru these sticks and they end up looking like spears in a month!

Alo, does anyone know if the SD1 (a skinny stick) has the same Bolero tip? If not, does any skinny stick have the round pea tip like the Bolero (and maybe hickory?)

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Johnny Rabb's company made a Jim Keltner model, kind of like the old Slingerland 1A. I miss that.

plumbndrum

Reaction score
The Peter Erskine Signature stick (not the ride stick or the big band stick) with a longer taper. I've been using this stick for years and I love the round "piccolo" tip but it is a very foreward-heavy stick due to the short taper.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alo, does anyone know if the SD1 (#1 General) has the same Bolero tip?
Same shape tip but SD1 is larger than
(about double..
In 1975 at Berklee (Vic brand stick were just coming out) we were made to buy VF General #1 for pad practice. Still the best for that

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vic Firth, Buddy Rich sticks in a natural wood grain finish instead of only in white. They are pretty cool sticks, but they look more like drum line sticks than something Buddy would have played.

NewBeat

Reaction score
VF Buddy sticks are a mystery to me - aside from the goofy paint job, too heavy as well.

Speaking of paint, Dave Weckl stix without the red goop would be great.