header.nohb.html

What stick do you wish they would make ?

bob meyer

Reaction score
That’s easy... Rich Sticks / Josh Mimms (sadly now defunct) designed a stick for me... 530 diameter, 16” acorn tip and VERY long taper and made them in maple and hickory.
luckily I have enough for lifetime unless i live to 120 .

Reactions: JDA

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are handy. Made 'em from a bargain-bin 5B and a "whipper". The balance is way off when using the stick end, however. I plan to make a set that has a much longer stick part, and make them in two pieces that thread together like a pool cue. That way you can break 'em down so they fit in a stick bag. View attachment 446969

I like the pool cue idea!

fpatton

Reaction score
VF Buddy sticks are a mystery to me - aside from the goofy paint job, too heavy as well.

Speaking of paint, Dave Weckl stix without the red goop would be great.

Hear, hear! I still have a few pairs of the old Ludwig Buddy Rich/16A sticks, and I love them. But the VF versions are too long, too heavy, taper wrong, and have a weird finish. I would love to have more like the originals. I put a little YT video together comparing them, but I did it while at home sick, and I'm not proud of it (couldn't even put a roll on a practice pad together), but I did quantify weights and things like that. I love the bounce of the originals.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hear, hear! I still have a few pairs of the old Ludwig Buddy Rich/16A sticks, and I love them. But the VF versions are too long, too heavy, taper wrong, and have a weird finish. I would love to have more like the originals. I put a little YT video together comparing them, but I did it while at home sick, and I'm not proud of it (couldn't even put a roll on a practice pad together), but I did quantify weights and things like that. I love the bounce of the originals.

LAR sticks, mentioned upthread, has a 15A template. I was going to get a pair just before his saw broke (and was subsequently repaired), and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

chevvies

Reaction score
I don't need to wish, it's already here! :)

I speak of the Zildjian white Travis Barker (?) wood tip, (and I know nothing about him).

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love those Bopworks Birdland sticks, smaller and thinner than any sticks I've been able to find in brick and mortar shops. But they are being made, by Bopworks!
I have two pairs of their Storyville and one pair of their Memphis R&B, all unused, straight, and pitch-matched. The memphis is very slightly bigger than the Storyville. 20 bucks and I'll cover shipping, if you are in lower 48. I just don't use them and trying to thin out all my sticks.

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Gatzen sticks aren't made anymore? I was just telling myself last night I needed some new ones.

The Gatzen maple model has been discontinued at least ten years now . The hickory version was relabelled the Billy Martin model ( exactly the same ). I know of a few people that were big fans of that stick . I used to keep the maple and hickory models in my stick bag .

Promark has/had a Bob Gatzen signature stick but it is. I thing like the Regal tip versions - much thicker and it has a notch in the shaft .

Han

Reaction score
Pro Mark Maple Jazz Cafe...I loved the sound of these on EVERY cymbal I owned. The tips didn't last very long but they sounded great.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of their Storyville and one pair of their Memphis R&B, all unused, straight, and pitch-matched. The memphis is very slightly bigger than the Storyville. 20 bucks and I'll cover shipping, if you are in lower 48. I just don't use them and trying to thin out all my sticks.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm up in Canada, and specifically like the bird lands which are substantially smaller than the rest of their line up. Good luck though!

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish Regal Tip would make sticks longer than 16". I'm looking for a 5b 16.5-17" long with the Regal Tip finish. I also wish they would stop discontinuing the models I like, but a 16.75" 5B would be great.
So I'm Canadian and i discovered Los Cabos sticks a couple of years back.They are made in Fredricton New Brunswick just down the road from Sabian.They use all the standard woods but really push Red Hickory and currently are the only stick manufacturer that uses it. It's from the very heart of the tree and has a distinctive reddish colour but the real plus is the sound and durability. For nylon tip fans of which i was one, its almost indistinguishable between nylon and red hickory sound wise and perhaps a bit quicker decay with the Hickory.The model i use is called "Jazz: and they're 16 1/4 long x .574 diameter..similar to a 5A and have a barrel tip. I note a lot of you are looking for longer sticks and Nylon. So here's some of the models that might interest you.
Nylon:
5A - 16in long x .575 diam

Straight Red Hickory Wood Tip:
Dave McGraw Pro - 16in long x .680 diam - Tear drop tip
5A Intense - 16 1/2in long x .575 diam - Acorn tip
8A - 16in long x .580 diam - Ball tip
Jazz - 16 1/4in long x .574 diam - Barrel tip
Rock - 16.63in long x .626 diam - Oval tip
I'm old but i have fab brand new hearing aides and i really cant see that Nylon is any better than red Hickory. You can go on their web site: loscabosdrumsticks.com... click on Red hickory and not only can you see their line up for each model but a YouTube video of each being played. They are available in the USA
I'm not a hard hitter but I do rim shots and my Jazz "reds" hardly dint. And... because they are made in Canada i'm a fan as they are several dollars less that your made in US brands which have a substantial duty applied coming into our country. The reverse may be true in the US but they are worth every cent.
Old Guy

drmordo

Reaction score
The latest Zildjian Tony Williams signature stick is NOT like the first ones . A real drag for me .

The Zildjian TW sticks are a slightly shortened version of the old Capella 2B; conversely it's the same length as Capella's 5B but fatter (and with the unique 2B taper). I think Capella had some great designs that have been lost, and frankly I'd trade them for all the other stick makers combined these days. The sticks I want back are the Capella 2B. The TW sticks always seemed a bit short, and when I finally found the 2Bs they were perfect.

Several years ago a big drum store was shutting down and I bought a bunch of sticks just to put in storage for later copying by a custom stick company.

drumsticks.jpg

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Gatzen maple model has been discontinued at least ten years now . The hickory version was relabelled the Billy Martin model ( exactly the same ). I know of a few people that were big fans of that stick . I used to keep the maple and hickory models in my stick bag .

Promark has/had a Bob Gatzen signature stick but it is. I thing like the Regal tip versions - much thicker and it has a notch in the shaft .
Yeah, I just pulled them out from my bin of unused sticks the other day and was really liking the way they felt. I've probably had them for at least 10 years and are pretty chewed up, so I was looking forward to getting some new ones, lol.

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
The Zildjian TW sticks are a slightly shortened version of the old Capella 2B; conversely it's the same length as Capella's 5B but fatter (and with the unique 2B taper). I think Capella had some great designs that have been lost, and frankly I'd trade them for all the other stick makers combined these days. The sticks I want back are the Capella 2B. The TW sticks always seemed a bit short, and when I finally found the 2Bs they were perfect.

Several years ago a big drum store was shutting down and I bought a bunch of sticks just to put in storage for later copying by a custom stick company.

View attachment 447086

YUP!!! i studied with tony waaaaay back in the early 80s and he got me hooked on those sticks...big girth with that super radical vintage taper...sounded amazing on my Ks. just before richsticks went under fitz made me a stick almost identical...really quirky but in that perfect kinda way. i still have about 6 pairs left...unlike bob meyer i did NOT think ahead! :p i'd been in touch with capella abunch of times and he kept promising they were gonna move to a bigger space and retool, but alas...

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the original Robocop from 1987? Excellent movie. At one point, the voted out city councilman has hostages in his office after demanding a recount. When the negotiator asks him what he wants the mayor yells out the window that he wants a new car which, "Goes really fast and gets really messy gas mileage!"

I want the Pro-Mark equivalent. :headbang:

Last edited:

Monday317

Reaction score
Like the post says - what stick do you wish a stick manufacturer would make ? Something new ? A Hybrid ? Different finish ? Longer ? Shorter ?

I wish Vic Firth would make the Peter Erskine Big Band stock in double glaze finish . I love the feel of this stick but really need the glossy lacquer finish of the double glaze . I have asked multiple dealers to inquire and Vic Firth keeps responding no .
Why not get a pair and spray with gloss varnish or similar? With a little experimentation, I bet you could emulate the Double Glaze or even find something you like better!

Monday317

Reaction score
I love those Bopworks Birdland sticks, smaller and thinner than any sticks I've been able to find in brick and mortar shops. But they are being made, by Bopworks!
+1!

I was also blown away by the sound of the ’40s Swing Classic sticks in that they sound distinctly different on heads and cymbals, a phenomenal I have long said was virtually impossible.

Monday317

Reaction score
My perfect drumstick would be a Pro-Mark Shirakashi Oak 7A, 16-1/2” with a triangle tip, in both wood and nylon tips in a natural finish.

Be sure to look in at your local drum store for these Monday317 Signature sticks—available soon (when pigs sprout wings and fly)!