header.nohb.html

What the heck did I get!?!

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
So I bought a small kit off FB marketplace. I assumed for the price $150 is was likely an stencil kit someone added some Ludwig Hardware to. Once I got the kit home and took the heads off however I was surprised to find a few oddities.

A. They appear to have holes that have been filled that are reminiscent of 80s Ludwig’s that had the riveted wraps…..but
B. They also have rerings which 80s Ludwig’s don’t…..and
C. The bass drum has a date stamp of Jan 3, 1956

So could they be 50s Ludwig’s that someone riveted the wrap to and then changed their mind later and filled the holes back in?
There are also multiple filled in homes for a Tom mount. Maybe had a few different t mounts over the years?

DD70BF58-99D4-4C71-A4C8-A6387C73C6D4.jpeg
2A17D982-7A1C-4ED2-AD6D-29BD11D4B6F9.jpeg
D843D38A-6850-4A4D-930E-564BEB773BB4.jpeg
5605850A-EEBB-4606-9E52-668008C0E57A.jpeg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
What do the outsides look like? These look like 50's WFL drums for sure. Most of those drums had a dark African mahogany though. These poor guys have definitely been put through the ringer. Do they have Ludwig lugs on them?

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
What do the outsides look like? These look like 50's WFL drums for sure. Most of those drums had a dark African mahogany though. These poor guys have definitely been put through the ringer. Do they have Ludwig lugs on them?
They do have Ludwig lugs, but do not have Ludwig spurs or Floor Tom brackets. The lugs seem smaller than the Ludwig lugs on my modern Classic Maples. They’re wrapped currently so I can’t see the outer ply.

I agree they do look like they’ve seen some things!!! They’re very very warm and dry sounding.

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
One of those shells looks to be 70's Slingerland. Rough shape.
That was my first thought too. That the 12” rack looks like a Slingerland shell but with Ludwig hardware. There’s a black stamp in it, but I can’t make out what it says, though it could possibly say “Sling” You can see it in one of the photos. There doesn’t seem to be extra holes for lugs, and I didn’t think Ludwig and slingerland lugs were interchangeable but did slingerland have any single center lug drums that maybe they just drilled one extra hole for each lug to then fit?

Last edited:

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
Or…. Is it possible that they elongated one hole enough to make the Ludwig lug fit and it’s hidden behind the washers? They have filler smear as you can see but I see no outline of a former extra hole at each Tom lug and don’t feel anything when rubbing my finger across the area. Maybe I should just take a lug or two off and take a look.

Brian Oheir

Reaction score
The bass drum re-rings and the “floor tom” re-rings appear very similar in that only one side is beveled (bearing edge side). The Tom Tom re-ring is beveled on both sides (bearing edge and inner). Also with better light I can now see just the edge of extra (filled) holes under the lug washers on the Tom Tom. So that drum is definitely something other than a Ludwig shell. I say “Floor Tom” in quotes because it now appears it was once a marching or field drum. The size is 15x12 and I can see where holes are filled that used to be for a snare mechanism. Also, it seems to still have the snare beds. The bass drum is definitely in the best shape of all the drums which is good because that’s why I bought the kit. I needed a 20” kick for smaller playing situations. And figured no matter what it was the price was reasonable.

BC9C58AD-AC5A-4F3D-9907-4DBDB7DA5774.jpeg
89207233-63D9-49D0-A3D4-59EEB36B6DEF.jpeg

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way that person writes the 2, with that extra swirl at the top, I have had a few drums with the same distinct chalk marks!

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I bought a small kit off FB marketplace. I assumed for the price $150 is was likely an stencil kit someone added some Ludwig Hardware to. Once I got the kit home and took the heads off however I was surprised to find a few oddities.

A. They appear to have holes that have been filled that are reminiscent of 80s Ludwig’s that had the riveted wraps…..but
B. They also have rerings which 80s Ludwig’s don’t…..and
C. The bass drum has a date stamp of Jan 3, 1956

So could they be 50s Ludwig’s that someone riveted the wrap to and then changed their mind later and filled the holes back in?
There are also multiple filled in homes for a Tom mount. Maybe had a few different t mounts over the years?

View attachment 565337 View attachment 565339 View attachment 565340 View attachment 565338
Maybe they thought the Ludwig rivet thing was such a good idea…they copied it?:confused2:

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I toured 1728 N.Damen in the early 80s….We got to a spot where all the shells were stacked with rivets….I stopped the tour by asking what’s the rivets were all about….The tour lady said they were getting their pearl from Italy…and it kept shrinking on them..so..they came up that idea……

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Slingy shell (that black stamp is "Slingerland" but is faded). Also, the bearing edges look Slingy as does that maple interior....very odd.

44Ronin

Reaction score
I toured 1728 N.Damen in the early 80s….We got to a spot where all the shells were stacked with rivets….I stopped the tour by asking what’s the rivets were all about….The tour lady said they were getting their pearl from Italy…and it kept shrinking on them..so..they came up that idea……
Shoulda told the lady glue works better