What throne are you using?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new throne.
what throne are you using? Saddle base or round base? Back rest?
My posture is not the best when I play, I bend my back a lot naturally to feel comfortable but I get back pain if I play long, I am thinking back rest will help but not a lot of thrones offer that.
bunch of thrones out there, pork pie, roc soc, Tama 1st chair, new Rogers (I have heard it’s comfy and light and compact), etc.
Not all stores carry all of them to try out in person.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Motion Pro Custom S Glider (with cloth instead of vinyl) is the winner for me. Independent ass cheek suspension, bulletproof build and as comfortable and ergo as it gets. Split seat design takes all pressure off the tailbone. I went from playing an hour and hardly being able to stand up off my throne to 4 hour gigs with zero discomfort at all. MVP equipment for me, along with my Rock and Roller Cart.

EDIT: Here are a coupla pics...

18724908-8358-4611-939E-7B737AADBDC5.jpeg
7ED43581-101B-4616-9E6D-D99AD243AC18.jpeg

Last edited:

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahead Spinal G(lide) - both round top and saddle tops...

...and sometimes my good ol' Gibraltars (also, both saddle and round tops).

(Now, I've got a couple more thrones in the garage from some major drum manufacturers whose names that I won't mention, because I only use them when I'm working on my car or other garage projects. For playing gigs or any kind of drumming, they're quite terrible. I think I'll be putting them up for sale soon. Good riddance!)

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A cheap but height-adjustable round top one that I've had for years and it's an unknown brand (if it ever had one) ..... :)

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I really have to invest on a good throne. I only have cheap-ass thrones at home or in the practice room. After a hour of playing my back hurts so much that sometimes I have to lie on the floor for about 10 min to stretch my back before I can even walk straight... but thrones, at leat the good ones, are so damn expensive :(

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own three Roc-N-Soc saddle type thrones (non gas lift) and a Tama Round Rider. Both models have back rests. My "gigging" throne (although I am not gigging at the moment due to the pandemic) is the Tama. The Roc-N-Socs are in my rehearsal studio (one for me, one for the pianist and one for the guitarist). I am more comfortable in the Roc-N-Soc ones, but that is probably because I have not had the Tama long enough to appreciate it. The Tama backrest is totally different from the Roc-N-Soc ones, and it took me a bit to grow accustomed to it. However, I swear by both models. At 72 my aging body needs all the help it can get, which makes my throne as important as my drums and cymbals [to me].

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yamaha 700 series here. Light, sturdy, easily adjustable and reasonably priced. After a few tries with higher end models I decided that I didn't like a lot of padding and didn't need any of the extra features.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motion-Pro as shown above on another post. This is the real Spinal-G! The Ahead Spinal-G is a licensed version of the Motion-pro without the springs. The Motion-pro was designed and is sold by a Chiropractor, great guy that gives great service. It's big, thick, heavy (11 lbs.) and built like a tank. It sits on springs which makes your lower body (left side & right side) independently move as you move around the kit & avoids your spine from compressing. Fantastic throne worth every penny. The split on the seat has the correct width (supports your prostate by not pressuring it) vs. other competing thrones that have a huge gap. I was suffering from lower numbing and the Motion-pro took care of my issue:

Motionpro1.png
Motionpro2.png

Last edited:

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I second the Soundseat. I bought mine when JR was still alive. My watchmaker was so impressed that he bought one!

I have no idea how the business changed after JR passed. I lost contact when I quit playing for a bit.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roc 'N Soc Nitro. I ordered a regular spindle but they sent a nitro. I didn't complain. It's really comfortable, the only thing I had to do was order the taller base, because I like to sit high.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a cheap PDP. I don't have back issues and, according to my wife I don't have a butt so this isn't a big area of need for me, whatever works.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can slouch just as well on an expensive throne as you can a cheap one. In my opinion posture isn’t a throne issue, it’s an awareness and correction issue. But I digress..

i practice on a Soundseat, gig on a lightweight Canopus, and have two Heavier round top Tamas in the house, one hydraulic one regular. I prefer a much firmer top and sit on the edge, the front 1/3 of the seat