What throne are you using?

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Ahead Spinal Saddle Throne and a Gibraltar Round Softee. The Softee is not comfortable for an extended 3 hour period though. I generally keep that throne by the pad stand.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pork Pie is my go to now. I also have a Roc N Soc saddle throne with backrest that I still use occasionally, and for being over 20 years old it holds up like new. My Pork Pie was only $170, and it will last a lifetime, so the investment in any brand of quality throne is well worth it.

PorkPie.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have to invest on a good throne. I only have cheap-ass thrones at home or in the practice room. After a hour of playing my back hurts so much that sometimes I have to lie on the floor for about 10 min to stretch my back before I can even walk straight... but thrones, at leat the good ones, are so damn expensive :(
I don't know how old you are but it's a necessity. The older you get, the worse the pain will be. It's an essential part of the kit. I'll make a statement that might make you reassess the thought of it being expensive: We are willing to pay $300 for a cymbal but then we say that a good throne is expensive when the throne is what supports your whole body!
I've posted it before and I'll post it again, 3 things we all need to spend the most money on that relate to the body:
1. A mattress! Your body spends 8 hours resting on one so you can function properly the following day.
2. Shoes! You spend hours on your feet and they support all of your body weight.
3. A throne! It's the only seating surface where you are not sitting still (you twist & turn). You're essentially sitting while exercising when you play drums!
Get a good throne when you can. Your body will thank you for it. No reason why you should not be able to walk after playing.
Good luck!

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I don't know how old you are but it's a necessity. The older you get, the worse the pain will be. It's an essential part of the kit. I'll make a statement that might make you reassess the thought of it being expensive: We are willing to pay $300 for a cymbal but then we say that a good throne is expensive when the throne is what supports your whole body!
I've posted it before and I'll post it again, 3 things we all need to spend the most money on that relate to the body:
1. A mattress! Your body spends 8 hours resting on one so you can function properly the following day.
2. Shoes! You spend hours on your feet and they support all of your body weight.
3. A throne! It's the only seating surface where you are not sitting still (you twist & turn). You're essentially sitting while exercising when you play drums!
Get a good throne when you can. Your body will thank you for it. No reason why you should not be able to walk after playing.
Good luck!
You're absolutely right! I'm on the hunt for a new throne!

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roc-N-Soc nitro for me. I think the shock absorption of the gas cylinder is what makes it so nice over long sessions.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the house I use a Gibralatar moto throne like this. It's lasted me 20 years and works great. For gigs, I have a red Roc-N-Soc - it is also great. The only difference is the Gib. is a little smaller and vinyl top and the RNS is wider and has a suede-type top, and of course more expensive. Never felt that I've needed a back rest......

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went with the Tama Ergo-rider with the regular spindle. Here's why:

- I wanted something that supported me well, didn't move, and that didn't have any "give," but that was also comfortable. Cushioning can feel good initially, but a firm well-fitted seat might actually be better (think of Birkenstocks - they don't have a lot of padding, but the cork beds are shaped to help relax your feet and support your arches.)
- The Ergo-rider is in-between a round and full saddle seat.
- I like the hydraulic seats to sit on, but if they move up and down while I am playing, it is distracting. When I lift my legs, I want my legs to be the only thing moving. I had an older throne that wiggled and moved when I played, and it was not good for my back at all, and I didn't have as much control while playing. Also, there is no way the spindle on this thing will wear out and need to be replaced.

I'm very pleased with the Ergo-rider so far, as it meets my needs. If you are looking for something "cushy," it probably isn't for you, but if you like the tight suspension of a sports car rather than the floating feeling of a touring sedan, it might be a good option.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As my main throne the Roc N Soc Nitro with vinyl option with matching backrest and foot peg, to rest your feet on in times of rehearsal and studio breaks:
119161554_10223943726240625_1078450220325795211_n.jpg

I shaved all the weight of the hardware bag with the Crosstown hardware, so this throne can go everywhere with me now.

As my producers throne the Yamaha DSM-110 Mesh Seat:
Photo 14-09-2020, 15 50 04.jpg

The mesh acts like a nitro option AND as a pro spinal option.

Last edited:

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Motion Pro Custom S Glider (with cloth instead of vinyl) is the winner for me. Independent ass cheek suspension, bulletproof build and as comfortable and ergo as it gets. Split seat design takes all pressure off the tailbone. I went from playing an hour and hardly being able to stand up off my throne to 4 hour gigs with zero discomfort at all. MVP equipment for me, along with my Rock and Roller Cart.

EDIT: Here are a coupla pics...

View attachment 462776 View attachment 462777

I've been endorsing the Motion-Pro Drum Throne for the past 4 years and love them (the products and the people/family). I own the Custom-S and the Pro-1 models.

The Ahead Spinal Glide version are a license agreement between Richard Robertshaw (the designer of the Motion-Pro/Spinal Glide system plus he's also a chiropractor) and Ahead, the main difference between the Ahead version and the Motion-Pro (original) version is the springs (on the Motion-Pro).

The Motion-Pro Drum Thrones are hands down the best drum throne I've ever used in my 30+ years of playing.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am probably one of the few that religiously use a canister throne. The only time I don't is if I am playing a gig where the it's outside and I don't know what the stage is like. They only work well if the ground is level and flat.

View attachment 462806

Love the Orange Mods!!

I use an Ahead Spinal G Round. I don't get along with a saddle design at all. Best throne I've owned for sure.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
PorkPie 'BigBoy' tractor model is my preference, I own two.

Spares:
  • Gibraltar 9608M '2-tone version'
  • Tama 1st Chair motorcycle style
  • PDP round 800 blue top

I don't use backrests.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear anyone's experience with the new Rogers throne, both in terms of comfort and weight, especially compared to some of the other light weight options. Thanks for the link to the new Pearl throne, looks interesting.

I use a sound seat hydraulic at home - have had it for a decade, love it.

I currently have a second sound seat top that I pair with an old Canopus aluminum base for travel. Its not that light and worse quite bulky for travel due to the big seat so am always in the market for a replacement, especially for mellow short jams I often attend with friends, where there is plenty of time for breaks and none of the stress of a paid gig.

I also have roc n soc saddle that I bought right before Sound Seat came back in business, at which point I got my second from them. It's basically brand new, but not worth the effort/cost to ship or sell at a huge loss locally. I keep it for guests in my little home studio, havent had many (any) in the last 6 months... I only mention because in terms of weight in bulk its a bit worse than my Sound Seat/Canopus combination, but far less comfortable.

For everyone with lightweight options, can I bother you to post a rough weight? It's as easy as just weighing yourself on a home scale with/without the throne.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roc-n-Soc saddle style, cloth top, no backrest, no hydraulics. It’s about 30 years old and still holds up really well. Very comfortable, no associated pains. Out of sheer curiosity, I’d love to try one of the split seat models for about a week. The design makes perfect sense.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear anyone's experience with the new Rogers throne, both in terms of comfort and weight, especially compared to some of the other light weight options. Thanks for the link to the new Pearl throne, looks interesting.
Here you go:
I just noticed that you previously posted on that thread, Lol!
I think that's the most info you'll get on that throne for now.

Reactions: owr