What throne are you using?

Vicey

Reaction score
You can slouch just as well on an expensive throne as you can a cheap one. In my opinion posture isn’t a throne issue, it’s an awareness and correction issue. But I digress..

This is very true, which is why I use a Tama Ergorider with backrest. I don't really lean against the backrest, but it gives me a proprioceptive cue to maintain posture and to sit on my butt, not my spine.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've been using a Pork Pie round for about 8-10 years now. Round works for how I sit, fairly high up and near the front of the seat. If I sat lower and on the seat more I'd probably get a tractor style.

Ian S

Reaction score
Pork Pie is my go to now.
I ordered a Pork Pie last year, same model as yours : ) Sadly, I haven't really used it yet, but it feels great to sit on. A good amount of firmness but plenty of depth to the cushion there. I have some lumbar issues so I have hopes for this throne.

DSCF0003.JPG

I also have an older Gibraltar I bought used, and it is fairly comfy. Not sure what model it is, it's at my buddy's house so I can't take a pic.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roc-n-Soc gas, Saddle seat. This one has lasted 20 years so far and it's still in great shape. Ordering another so I can leave it with my home kit and the old one will be with the gigging kit.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three thrones currently :
The new Rogers throne which I have posted about previously . I have owned it awhile now and have played a few gigs with it . I do plan to use it for rehearsals rather than gigs .

The new Pearl nitro Roadmaster throne - weighs 12lbs and has a very comfortable seat . This will be my new gigging throne . It has the best combination of weight and comfort of my three thrones.

Roc N Soc Nitro with back rest - I have owned this throne about 15 years and it is still very comfortable and best for long gigs - it is bulky and heavier than my other two . It has now been relegated to the e-kit practice kit .

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama xl round rider. Probably the comfiest throne I've used for long gigs. You really dont notice the throne after 10 mins or 2 hours of playing.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently checked out a Rock n Sock throne and a Gibraltar throne at a local Sam Ash. Given the prices, the build quality and materials of both were disappointing compared to my 40+ year old Yamaha throne.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on posture thing.

for me it’s not my back, I can sit up straight just fine. It’s craning my next forward that is the alignment issue.

again, that’s me.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are lots of good ones and hard to choose. I guess I need to walk into a shop and try whatever they have and just pick the most comfortable one.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roc N Soc for life! I’ve had one of the nitro thrones with backrest for 14 years and it’s still perfect. Chrome is all good, there isn’t any visible wear to the material, and the shock has never had an issue. I bought a second one years back and I’m about to order an office/conductors type chair from them. I have bad back issues in my bottom 2 discs, but feel completely fine sitting for hours.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my Tama. Don't know for sure, but I think it's their basic throne. I bought it used a couple years ago and it's still as solid as can be. Nice and firm, big round throne. I will probably get another if anything ever happens to this one.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new throne.
what throne are you using? Saddle base or round base? Back rest?
My posture is not the best when I play, I bend my back a lot naturally to feel comfortable but I get back pain if I play long, I am thinking back rest will help but not a lot of thrones offer that.
bunch of thrones out there, pork pie, roc soc, Tama 1st chair, new Rogers (I have heard it’s comfy and light and compact), etc.
Not all stores carry all of them to try out in person.
I tried a bicycle seat once.
Thick foam pad. Tried for a minute at the store and it was really comfy.
Brought it home and that night took it to band practice....we took a LOT of breaks that night!
My balls were so numb, they actually hurt ! :sad2:
I took it back the next day and eventually got a Gibraltar 7500 series cloth round seat that has an even thicker foam pad!
21-22 years later, I still use it and it still works like gangbusters.
Here it is, around 2002, when I found a unique way to create a bikini kit out of my Ludwig's!

Ludwig_ClassicMaple_2002_4.jpg

Elvis

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the pork pie thrones, but mine lost all the padding after a few months. I sweat profusely when I play though, so I'm thinking maybe that broke the foam down?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the pork pie thrones, but mine lost all the padding after a few months. I sweat profusely when I play though, so I'm thinking maybe that broke the foam down?
I would have contacted Bill at Pork Pie. I've had mine now for 3 years and it still looks and feels brand new, and I use it for practicing on my own and take it to gigs.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I got this bar stool back in the 50s, cut off the legs, then shoved short pieces of broom stick in the hollow aluminum legs. It does not fold nor does it travel well and it is not adjustable easily, but it did give me a place to put my foot while the guitars were figuring out the keys of a tune. I have never needed nor wanted any other.

Attachments

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just ordered a RocNSoc Nitro w/ backrest (will be my first). I'm actually trying to buy two thrones. I also want an Ahead Spinal G (no backrest), but apparently there's zero in Canada. I'd order one from the States, but don't feel like paying $1200.00 for shipping.

UPDATE: Steve's Music in Toronto just ordered me an Ahead all black, four leg, Spinal G w/backrest. Can't wait to get both. Some thing I've learned in life - always have a good throne and mattress.

Last edited: