What to do during quarantine? ;)

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I've got COVID. Feel like crap, but so far it's basically just been a sore throat, bad cold, and a touch of fever.

I'm quarantining upstairs in my house, which is where I keep the "backup" drums. Decided last night to go downstairs and cannibalize the cymbals off my Starclassic Maples so I could at least play while I'm in exile up here. A drummer's gotta do what a drummer's gotta do... ;)

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Rick! Darn that stinks about the Covid. Hope you get through it quickly. Lots of time for reading and some drumming in between!

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Rick! Darn that stinks about the Covid. Hope you get through it quickly. Lots of time for reading and some drumming in between!
Thanks! I'm on about day 6. They say for some people it takes a big downturn around day 10. That'll be Friday. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing to combat it... so hopefully that will work! Just what I wanted to do after waiting for 5 1/2 months to be trained on a new airplane and having a lot of fun flying again... NOT. :)

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, hope you have one of the milder cases and get well soon! Nice drums there.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
ouch.
Man, sorry to hear this.
Take care of yourself and know there are many of us that will be doing things (not to be discussed on this forum) to help.
Always.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
where/how do you think you were exposed to it.
no idea or?

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you smell things?
So far it's about the same degree of taste and smell loss as I've experienced previously with some bad colds. Based on what I've heard about this, I fully expect to completely lose the taste/smell in the next few days though.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ouch.
Man, sorry to hear this.
Take care of yourself and know there are many of us that will be doing things (not to be discussed on this forum) to help.
Always.
Thanks, man!! :)

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
where/how do you think you were exposed to it.
no idea or?
I definitely don't know. I wasn't around anyone that I knew of that had COVID. I'm a Delta pilot. My work environment (airport terminal, airplane, etc.) is a pretty COVID safe situation. What I suspect is the culprit is the layovers. Between transportation to/from the airport/hotel, staying in the hotel, and getting out to find food... my best guess would be that I picked it up there. But who knows?

Reactions: JDA

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, hope you have one of the milder cases and get well soon! Nice drums there.
Thank you! Yeah, those are my "backup" drums for the rare occasion where I have two gigs in one day and not enough time to move drums in between (definitely not happening these days :( ). They are Superstar Classics. I bought them because they are maple and thought if I put the same heads/tuning on them they would sound reasonably close to my main drums which are Starclassic Maples. I was surprised at how close they sound. The maple in the Superstars is nowhere near as good as the maple in the Starclassics, and I can definitely tell the difference, but they are good enough to get by on a gig and I doubt anybody besides me would notice the difference.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, when we travelled in December, my big concern was the airports. Southwest were very vigilant with face masks on the plane. Sounds like you're on the mend. Cool to hear you're a pilot. I got my PPL 45 years ago. Never use it anymore. But my eye is always looking up. I love aviation. FlightRadar24 is my favorite app!

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, when we travelled in December, my big concern was the airports. Southwest were very vigilant with face masks on the plane. Sounds like you're on the mend. Cool to hear you're a pilot. I got my PPL 45 years ago. Never use it anymore. But my eye is always looking up. I love aviation. FlightRadar24 is my favorite app!
Thanks! I actually don't worry too much about the airport. From what I've seen, they are keeping it super clean, everybody keeps their distance pretty well and wears face masks, etc. I figure the typical Wal Mart is a much higher risk environment. Same thing on the airplane. The biggest risk there for me is that we can't really wear masks to do our job... so as soon as the cockpit door is closed for pushback, the masks come off. If I happen to be flying with someone who has COVID and is asymptomatic, then that's probably close to a 100% chance of getting it closed up for several days in a cockpit with them. I seriously doubt that's where I got it though. The First Officer I flew with on my last trip is quarantining now too... because of me. As long as she doesn't get sick, it's a good deal because she was talking about how much she wants to be home with her 5 year old. Can you say "paid vacation?" ;)

Yeah, flying is great! It gets in your blood for sure! Sounds like we could be close to the same age. I learned to fly in 1977 as a hobby. It was the summer after I graduated from high school. Got into it as a career in my late 20's. A little over 31 years now with the airlines (TWA and Delta) and still loving it! They make us retire at 65, so I've just got a little over 3 1/2 years to go. Gonna miss it for sure!

Reactions: JDA

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get well fast, Rick!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, flying is great
You ever meet Larry? I don't mean in the air.... (LRod.
Look out for Osahead2 also; he may armed and locked on ; )

Lot of pilots here I'm surprised.
drummers are so land based..

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You ever meet Larry? I don't mean in the air.... (LRod.
Look out for Osahead2 also; he may armed and locked on ; )

Lot of pilots here I'm surprised.
drummers are so land based..
I've never met Larry face to face but we've exchanged some messages. Nice guy!

I've known a fair number of pilot drummers over the years. Not many that play jazz (my favorite) though...

The guys I was gigging with (before COVID and hopefully after) are really fine pros. They seem to get a kick out of me being a pilot. Usually introduce me as "Captain Rick on the drums." lol