What to do with a drum that's a dud?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I recently fell in love with a mid-sixties 5" Ludwig Supersensitive at a practice space I use. So naturally I went searching for a deal on one, and found one which had been modded with tube lugs and had some refinishing done. Looked nice, didn't carry a vintage price tag, those drums are cheap anyway. I bought it.

Thing is, it sounds pretty bad, and nothing I do fixes it. I'm still obsessed with the practice room Supersensitive, and I'm going to buy one when I can. But I don't have any superfluous drums hanging around, and I don't want any.

What do I do with this bum drum? It basically sounds like a very dry Supra, a little choked. In other words, it's usable but I don't dig it. I feel like Karma prevents me from putting it up for sale. I'm thinking maybe I should pass it along to some kid whose standards aren't so high yet?

I can't sell it, and I can't throw it out. What would you do?

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from morally, but if the drum is structurally and functioanlly solid and has no issues other than your perception of it's "bad" sound, I don't see any harm in selling it. It's no different than buying any other piece of gear that doesn't work for you... it just doesn't flip your switch, simple as that. Be forthright and disclose your feelings about its sound in your listing and let another player decide if might be right for them, or not.

If you truly feel that you can't in good conscience sell this drum, I'd be inclined to pass it along to a young player who could use a nice quality (albeit dry) snare.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could work a trade with someone. If you don't already have an Acro that might be a good swap.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
stretch33 said:
Consider a set of new heads, top and bottom. Might just bring you the sound you want.

Stretch
This.

(I can understand a wood drum being a dud, but a metal Luddy? If you have not yet given it the chance with new heads, you have not given it a fair shake.)

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple supras and a supersensitive and to my ears sound very similar.

Is it possible you have the snares set up too high against the snare side head? The strainer on the supersensitives can be a project to get "just right".

Curious about the "refinishing", is it killing the "Luddy honk ". Maybe you can remove the refinish ?

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not to derail, but I have a Super Sensitive in very. very good condition that I would part with.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks!

It's got new heads and snares on it. The strainer is definitely not operating properly: never fully disengages. That's the main reason why I don't feel right selling it. I have tried adjusting all the obvious adjustables but no joy.

I get that it might sound like a Supra (but, uh, my Supra sounds better) but I have the practice room SS to compare it to, so I know what I should be hearing.

I'm not gonna buy another one without hearing it first.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Take it to your practice space to duplicate the conditions when comparing to the good sounding inspirational drum (if you have not already).

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a SS expert (owned one in the early 70s) but if the strainer cannot be adjusted properly, is it possible that it has a mix of parts from different vintages that are not compatible?

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
I have a snare that sounds like crap - from where I'm sitting. In the mix however, it's gold.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does it sound with the snare disengaged?

What (changes) happens when Snare is (then) engaged.

Isolate the issue Problem..

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about hoops? Maybe the previous owner swapped out the originals for something heavier that dries out the sound too much.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig produced them for many years and a lot of drummers figured them out...heck, there is one that sounds great in your practice room. That alone would inspire me to master the mechanics of this thing, then if you want to sell it you can ask top $$$.

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sell it on Ebay. Make it 100% clear that it's been modified and you don't like the sound because it's too dry. Chances are, there's a drummer out there who would LOVE that very snare.

We drummers are very fussy about our equipment. What one drummer loves, the other one hates. The few times I've played other drummer's kits, they always sounded awful to me: bad tuning, crappy cymbals, sluggish bass drum pedal, etc...

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sell it. Drummers' taste in snare drums varies widely, and the drum you hate may be just what someone else is looking for. Anybody serious is going to want to play it, and let their ears decide. If you criticize your own drum you'll just drive the price down. Just say it doesn't suit your needs, which is accurate. Your dud may be someone else's Holy Grail, and he will forever brag to his friends about how little he paid for it, regardless of what he actually paid. It will have been a bargain.

Reactions: A J