What To Do - With a Heavy Crash/Ride

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I have an old Kashian 18" crash/ride that is very heavy at 1845g. I use small light sticks, maple 7As wood tip mostly, sometimes hickory with nylon tips which are a bit heavier.

The problem is, when I ride it, it's like taking a twig and hitting a manhole cover. You can barely hear it. The heavier nylon tips do better, but its still not very loud. I do actually like the sound of this cymbal when I hit it with a heavier stick, but that's not what I use normally.

So the questions is, can I make this cymbal more useable as a ride somehow or is it just to heavy? I was thinking rivets might add some sizzle and sound.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Get someone to lathe off some weight? Sounds like it’s just too heavy/dead/dry for you/your playing style.
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid lathing might be the only answer for the weight issue. I am definitely going to keep this cymbal though, as it's part of a full set of old Kashians that I use and like.

So a couple of questions, does anybody know who lathes cymbals? And does taking say 2 or 300 grams off alter the sound drastically? How much do I take off anyway? Right now it's pretty high in tone and bright, not dark at all and has good stick definition.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread up to see if anyone can answer some of the questions I asked above concerning lathing.

One important question I didn't ask is how much does it cost to lathe a cymbal?

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Took you long enough to reply! :icon_lol:

Yeah, I caught one of those videos before. I'll have to catch the rest, thanks. I live in NYC, but I think he only does it in his Chicago shop, so that would mean shipping. This cymbal is a keeper for me because it completes a full set of Kashians for me, and they're not easy to come by. I haven't seen anything for awhile now. I think this cymbal could sound really good minus a few grams or more. Maybe I'll email him and see what he says.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just put it on the Left and play thru it Jimmy. Fore!
The Gig will be over before it matters much anyhow.
That's how it always works out..

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Just put it on the Left and play thru it Jimmy. Fore!
The Gig will be over before it matters much anyhow.
That's how it always works out..
Lol! Yup, the audience can't hear the difference, right!? :-D
Well, I have some money burning a hole in my purse right now and was thinking of getting an 18" crash/ride, but I'd really rather keep this one, so I'll see what he says. What do you think, $100/150, or more? Then there's that darned shipping to add the in!:scratch:

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Ok, I sent an email off to Steve Maxwell's shop to get a lathing price.

My guess is no matter what the price, with shipping, will put me well under water with this cymbal, but it's a keeper, and sometimes it's just not about the money, is it? I mean, it's about the vibe, the sound... right? (help me here!) :help: :binky:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
JC'
Jimmy when you hang on to something (subject) you really hang on to it Like Glue man :D
This is four days on it; I could a built a "shed..; ) It's a _cymbal.
A shed with shingles on the roof and an antennae (lol)
what do you want to hear from here? You got any spaghetti..
(help me here!) :help:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The cymbal sounds like a piece of work. So if its a dud and doesn't sound good, why pour money into it?
A cheap way to give it sizzle is with a chain.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Took you long enough to reply! :icon_lol:

Yeah, I caught one of those videos before. I'll have to catch the rest, thanks. I live in NYC, but I think he only does it in his Chicago shop, so that would mean shipping. This cymbal is a keeper for me because it completes a full set of Kashians for me, and they're not easy to come by. I haven't seen anything for awhile now. I think this cymbal could sound really good minus a few grams or more. Maybe I'll email him and see what he says.
Check out Jesse Simpson in Brooklyn. I have an old A he re-lathed and hammered that's an interesting cymbal. My sense (I don't know) is that he's a young guy without a strong reputation yet but knows what he's doing. He should be cheaper as well as closer. It looks like $100 for lathing: http://www.jessesimpson.com/cymbals

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Check out Jesse Simpson in Brooklyn. I have an old A he re-lathed and hammered that's an interesting cymbal. My sense (I don't know) is that he's a young guy without a strong reputation yet but knows what he's doing. He should be cheaper as well as closer. It looks like $100 for lathing: http://www.jessesimpson.com/cymbals
Excellent!

100 bucks is a good deal compared to Steve Maxwell's shop, and I can drive or subway there, so no shipping! That's huge. I've read about this young man somewhere before, but I didn't know he did mods to other cymbals. I'll email him and see what he says.

Cool, thank you! :)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wouldnt removing weight from a cymbal that wasn't shaped to be that weight be a crapshoot? Might you have to have it re-hammered, too?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would just keep your Kashian "set" 100% original. And in the meantime, keep an eye out for a 1400-1600 gm 18" Kashian. It's out there somewhere. Not much you can do when they're over about 1700-1750 gm. Their use is basically limited to a high pitched (ting ting) left side ride....or a hand crash cymbal. I had a 1900 gm 18" Paiste Sound Forumula "hand cymbal" that was a darn nice high pitched ride. But I disliked the fact that it wasn't crashable.

The Alejians, Kashians, Zenjians, etc. can be rather clunky or deadish cymbals at times even if lighter. It's not always just the weight.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Wouldnt removing weight from a cymbal that wasn't shaped to be that weight be a crapshoot? Might you have to have it re-hammered, too?
I'm not really sure.

I contacted the young cymbalsmith in Brooklyn, Jesse Simpson, and told him what I wanted out of this cymbal and thought lathing weight off might get it there, and he replied saying he can definitely help get the cymbal where I want it to be. He didnt mention hammering except to say he does that service as well.

My un educated guess is that hammering would only have to be done if your skinning a lot of weight off a cymbal, but probably not for a few hundred grams. I'm hoping to get some education out of this!:)

I'm hoping to get the cymbal to him tomorrow and if it doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities here, (JDA) I will continue this thread by posting the results... :-D

Latest posts