What to do with used heads?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure all of us have sweated this issue. It would be nice to recycle, but there's that pesky hoop problem, and let me tell you that I will be worm food long before I ever cut the hoops off. Not really looking for funky art projects or anything flowerpot-related. Any suggestions?

Dan

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well-you could have someone famous autograph them...
You could use them as wall hangings (velcro works)...I don't think they'd work as studio diffusers but maybe they would soften up hard services

Frisbees?

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Donate them to a third world nation?

What kind of shape are they in when you replace them? I think for most people they're usually pretty beat up or torn when they get replaced and repurposing them at that point is limited.

I've heard of folks cutting them into rings and using them instead of buying E-rings or cutting them into strips for snare strainers but I wouldn't go through all that bother.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Donate them to a third world nation?

What kind of shape are they in when you replace them? I think for most people they're usually pretty beat up or torn when they get replaced and repurposing them at that point is limited.

I've heard of folks cutting them into rings and using them instead of buying E-rings or cutting them into strips for snare strainers but I wouldn't go through all that bother.

Lots of them are from drums I have purchased second-hand and are beyond thrashed. I have a few homemade rings and am good on that front.

Dan

D

DBT

I'm sure all of us have sweated this issue. It would be nice to recycle, but there's that pesky hoop problem, and let me tell you that I will be worm food long before I ever cut the hoops off. Not really looking for funky art projects or anything flowerpot-related. Any suggestions?

Dan
Draw smiley faces on them and use them as targets .

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lots of them are from drums I have purchased second-hand and are beyond thrashed. I have a few homemade rings and am good on that front.

Dan
So I saved up an bunch of UT's from stock drums that I replaced with better heads and donated them to someone - here I think. I just posted an ad "free heads, you pay shipping".

If they're still in usable shape maybe give them away?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
About that pesky hoop problem. Our local recycling doesn't take "scrap metal". The irony of which is that steel, aluminum and glass are about the only things which ACTUALLY DO get recycled and not just shipped to 3rd world countries to be landfilled while making 1st worlders feel good about saving the planet.

My wife would save the little 1" stub of monofilament that they attach tags to clothing for 'recycling' (where they just pile up on the dryer). But the honest truth is any plastic not large enough to have a legible recycling code and anything with a shred of food on it do not get recycled at all, and most municipal recycling which outsources plastics are actually dumped on third worlders

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put the old heads into the new head boxes and store 'em in my drum room closet:

IMG_0894_S.jpg

(I know, I'm a BAAAAAAAAAD boy...)

RockrGrl

Reaction score

Dan
At the start of the Pandemic I think it was Remo that was making masks out of their factory.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've cut the mylar off of hoops and put mesh on the hoops to use with triggers a few times.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My sister made a really cute snowman Christmas decoration by painting three used pinstripes. I'd post a pic, but we get that stuff back in the attic well before the new year.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Quit buying them

(courtesy of your local AA chapter.