What to do with...

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you do with your old drum heads?

I found they do great as drain pans. I dabble in RC airplanes with Nitro engines and graduating to small Gas engines. The Nitro engines especially after flying are wet with unused fuel and oil and they drip on every thing. I use then in the car/truck to keep the carpet clean during transport and on the work bench while working on them. Also would work great when working on model cars, trucks and boats.

Smaller heads work great when disassembling and repairing just about anything on the work bench to keep track of the parts and tools so they don't roll off on the floor.

AND if you change your own car/truck oil, slide a bass drum head under there and let it drip.

They are easy to clean and you can store them inside of each other. Drill a small hole close to the rim and hang them on the wall if you wish.

sherm

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great ideas for old heads. Wish I would have thought of possible other uses. I just threw out like 20 of them a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to keep them because they would just take up room. I thought about maybe selling them but when I factored in what somebody would pay for a used head + shipping, it wasn't worth it. Maybe next time I will make use out of them.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I actually do use an old head in my shed to catch the oil from my chainsaw.

Another time we played a gig at a beach themed restaurant/bar. We ended up playing in sand (who thought that was a good idea at a bar?!). I had my drum rug so that was fine, but my throne kept sinking. Put a couple old heads under the feet so they acted like snow shoes. We only played there once or twice, but I was prepared with a mini-stage (just a piece of 4x8 plywood).

NickCesarz

Reaction score
Catching oil with old drum heads is a fantastic idea! I mostly just keep them around in case I manage to puncture through a head and don't have a backup (not that this happens often, it's very rare).

rdavidr has a cool video on some hacks for old drum heads: