What to pay for a ASBA stainless steel shellset?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
The pictured ASBA shellset has been offered to me. It might be a 22 (24?)/12/13/16/18 with a wooden ASBA snare and another
steel snare (not pictured) of an yet unknown manufacturer, a disassembled Rogers pedal and a case full of vintage cymbals I don`t know either.

Asking price is 600 Euro but I would have to go for a 600km trip each way.

Seems to be a nice restoration project, but what about the price and value after restoration? What do you think?

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
ASBA in general is pretty rare in the US, I couldn't even seem to find any sold listings on eBay (worldwide) either. So, the drum kit plus some cymbals, I'd say the €600 is a pretty good price.
However, I'd ask for some more pics that are clearer/more detailed of the drums/cymbals (to get a better idea of the condition + you may find some gems in the cymbals or not), that way you won't mind traveling the 600KM to get the equipment.

There is a Facebook group for ASBA, they might give you a better idea of the value before/after restoration.
FB link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/70227794736/

Phildrummer

Reaction score
What the restauration will involve is not clear from your pictures. While collectors focus more on the mahogany jazz models, a complete Asba with 16 and 18" FT is a rare find. All in mint condition should fetch perhaps 1200 to 1600, but mind that this is not exactly a liquid market.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Things to consider:

- Seek reviews of these items. You can probably google item name + review and find a few. Bob Henrit used to write reviews for various musician magazines; check google.

- Get clear pictures of all items, front and back, top and bottom. For cymbals, also get badges/identifying marks/logos - and close ups of the edges.

- If you haven't done so already, type the name of whatever you'd sell from there+best price into google and see what comes up. That'll give you an idea of demand over a certain period and possible price range.

- Determine what it'd cost you to drive and pick those up. If you have to spend X E to pick up something that realistically might bring in 2X E, that may not make economic sense. I think the cymbals might be key here, if there are sleepers. I haven't researched the demand for Asba SS, so I don't have a sense of what they'd bring you.

- Based on my experience with 70s Ludwig SS, SS shells can sound great and work well at any dynamic. I've used them on loud and soft gigs. I can post links if you want to see/hear in musical contexts. They have tons of headroom, but loudness is ultimately a function of touch. Per Dunnett. "There are no loud drums."

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Asking price is 600 Euro but I would have to go for a 600km trip each way.
Seems to be a nice restoration project, but what about the price and value after restoration? What do you think?
Be sure to back in with an update on this kit... I'm curious to see how it develops (hoping you do get it!).

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you joined the Asba group, you probably saw the SS kits on there.

What intrigued me was this video:

That kit seems to have some sort of die cast rims. They seem to roll back some of the highs on the toms so you get a more guttural growl, if you will. I have some Ludwig SS drums; I'm going to try some of them with die cast rims and hear how they sound.