What type of tom mount should I install?

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on what type of tom mount I should install on my Pearl Wood Fiberglass kit (2015 reissue) in a 20,10,12,14 configuration. If you are familiar with this line, you'll know that the bass drums have no tom mounting hardware and the toms come with Pearl's Optimount system.

I'm a huge fan of Yamaha's YESS mounting system and if I'd probably go with that if I were to drill into the shell. I was also recently made aware of "no-drill" options made my INDe and Ludwig, but don't know if I can get away with mounting both toms at once especially because these toms are particularly heavy. It would be nice though to keep the shell untouched in case I wanted to sell the kit in the future...but maybe a future buyer would prefer YESS mounts, I don't know.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to drill holes the ATLAS Ludwig and the INDe is probably your best bet. RIMS also makes a nice hoop style mount the drum hangs from, but I understand they are cutting back on production at the moment. I started buying the ATLAS mounts as soon as I realized they were available. They do a fine job for what they're designed to do. Later the INDe mounts became available. They are smaller and lighter than the ATLAS and there are some individuals on the forum that seem to like them better.

I have no problem with the ATLAS mounts.

sherm

Last edited:

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a wood fiberglass kit. I only use a single tom up top, but I ended up drilling the bass drum for a BT-3 mount (with steel backing plate inside), and use an L-arm from a Pearl Rhythm Traveler pod kit. For the 12" I drilled for an LB-40 bracket (which is bridged and only touches in 2 places). It looks classic, and the kit sounds great.

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
If you don't want to drill holes the ATLAS Ludwig and the INDe is probably your best bet. RIMS also makes a nice hoop style mount the drum hangs from, but I understand they are cutting back on production at the moment. I started buying the ATLAS mounts as soon as I realized they were available. They do a fine job for what they're designed to do. Later the INDe mounts became available. They are smaller and lighter than the ATLAS and there are some individuals on the forum that seem to like them better.

I have no problem with the ATLAS mounts.

sherm
Is there any way to mount two rack toms to the bass drum using Atlas mounts and not drilling any holes?

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to mount two rack toms to the bass drum using Atlas mounts and not drilling any holes?
ATLAS makes a Rail Mount that replaces two lugs. I've heard stories that some have mounted two toms from the same mount. Not sure I would do that, that's a lot of weight hanging on two lug mounts and the rail is heavy. You would have to buy two rail mounts and use parts from one to construct a two-tom rail mount. It would be cheaper to buy two cymbal stands then fly one from each stand. If you really want them on the bass, it would probably be better to get a bass drum tom mount and drill the hole. I have my two toms mounted from cymbal stands on the fly, 10 and 12" toms. TAMA makes a nice tom stand with a hid-a-way cymbal boom. I have two for my toms. It looks like any other cymbal stand with a slick looking L arm incorporated in line with the vertical tube. The hide-a-way boom can be used as a straight stand or pull out the boom for more versatility.

One thing you need to know is the ATLAS system is designed to use 12.?mm L rod mounts. They have sleeves to be used for smaller rods, but I found them to be problematic for me, so I purchased larger Ball L Arms from Gibraltar. Don't forget INDe makes a series of tom mounts that do the same job.

sherm

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have any intention of selling them down the road it would probably be prudent to install Pearl tom mounts .
Use the Optimounts on the toms .

I am not a Huge fan of the appearance of the Pearl mount but people that like Pearl obviously like them too .

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl knows their mounts suck, go with Inde.

Attachments

• 7CEA4B40-45A2-499B-A67B-CF83510F21F9.jpeg
    7CEA4B40-45A2-499B-A67B-CF83510F21F9.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 28

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
ATLAS makes a Rail Mount that replaces two lugs. I've heard stories that some have mounted two toms from the same mount. Not sure I would do that, that's a lot of weight hanging on two lug mounts and the rail is heavy. You would have to buy two rail mounts and use parts from one to construct a two-tom rail mount. It would be cheaper to buy two cymbal stands then fly one from each stand. If you really want them on the bass, it would probably be better to get a bass drum tom mount and drill the hole. I have my two toms mounted from cymbal stands on the fly, 10 and 12" toms. TAMA makes a nice tom stand with a hid-a-way cymbal boom. I have two for my toms. It looks like any other cymbal stand with a slick looking L arm incorporated in line with the vertical tube. The hide-a-way boom can be used as a straight stand or pull out the boom for more versatility.

One thing you need to know is the ATLAS system is designed to use 12.?mm L rod mounts. They have sleeves to be used for smaller rods, but I found them to be problematic for me, so I purchased larger Ball L Arms from Gibraltar. Don't forget INDe makes a series of tom mounts that do the same job.

sherm
Just reached out to INDe and they mentioned releasing a double tom mount in a few weeks that's compatible with the no drill system. That might be the way to go.

Heres the picture they sent me:

1642534778628.png

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reached out to INDe and they mentioned releasing a double tom mount in a few weeks that's compatible with the no drill system. That might be the way to go.

View attachment 538747
That looks nice and much lighter than the ATLAS mount.

There is a thread called Bass Drum Front Head Art, started by CC Cirillo. He has a picture showing off the rose which is very nice. But if you'll notice he is using an ATLAS Rail mount if you would like to see it. But again, it only has provision for a single tom.

sherm

cobaltspike

Reaction score
I have Ludwig Atlas mounts all over my sets, they even have spurs for them. Here is an Atlas Mounted tom on an Atlas Arch, great setup.
1642640371080.jpeg

Robdrum4

Reaction score

View attachment 538747
I'm eagerly awaiting the double tom mount

I'm a huge INDe fan. I have a 7 piece kit of theirs and 3 snares. But even if I didn't I'd still suggest their BR3 no drill bracket. It's the best thing on the market.

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I saw a video on Inde's rail consolette and the tom seemed to bounce a lot. I'm sure it's probably more because of their mount that acts like a spring, but that would drive me nuts.
I'm looking for a solution for a Gretsch round badge kit because I'm not sure that the original mount is up to the task. I've done the whole thing of using a snare stand, mounted it with a Rims mount, hanging off of a cymbal stand and those methods just seemed so bulky and heavy. As do most of the newer rail mounts.
Does anyone have any first hand experience with Inde's mount? Does it really bounce as much as it seems in the video? It starts about 3 seconds in:

drumdrum1234

Reaction score
Quick update...I was about to pull the trigger on the INDe mounts but then some YESS mounts and Yamaha hardware popped up on local Craigslist for a price I couldn't refuse. I spent one afternoon measuring (a lot of measuring) and carefully drilling the holes. Turned out great!

Even though I went the Yamaha route, thanks everyone for the advice!

Attachments

• tempImage8lwYqz.png
    tempImage8lwYqz.png
    399.9 KB · Views: 30
  • tempImageA8pYIf.png
    tempImageA8pYIf.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 31