What was Ringo's setup towards the end of the Beatles?

type85

Reaction score
Looking forward to the "Get back" documentary, took this screenshot of the trailer, neither of those look like Zildjians!

1635177961312.png

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think only time will tell as Gary (Astridge) continues his research. I think you are right that he used Paistes near the Let It Be period. There has been much discussion on this topic and here is an older DFO link on it :

I have read Ajax, Zyn and Super Zyn in the "early days", Zildjian and Zyn during the first Ed Sullivan appearances plus Washington Coliseum and Carnegie Hall concerts and Zildjian up to Sergeant Pepper's era interspering with Paiste and Paiste thereafter but it seems no one knows for sure.

I am not sure we will ever know for sure but certainly whatever cymbals Ringo has left from the Beatle era will give a clue. I can't tell from the recordings due to the compression....

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! I'm pretty sure he used some Arbiter 602's (as did Charlie Watts) during that period and probably some "super Zyn's".
Zildjian loves to claim Ringo was all Zildjian, but I know that's not the case!
It's Ringo himself who claims he was all Zildjian, even though we know there were others. The first time we talked about cymbals in 1995, he said he played all "Avedis" and showed me his hi hats that he said were from 1960 and I quote, "On all the records." But yes, he definitely used Zyn and we believe Paiste 602s, but my understanding is that was earlier and by Let It Be and Abbey Road, he was using all A. Zildjians.
I think only time will tell as Gary (Astridge) continues his research. I think you are right that he used Paistes near the Let It Be period. There has been much discussion on this topic and here is an older DFO link on it :

I have read Ajax, Zyn and Super Zyn in the "early days", Zildjian and Zyn during the first Ed Sullivan appearances plus Washington Coliseum and Carnegie Hall concerts and Zildjian up to Sergeant Pepper's era interspering with Paiste and Paiste thereafter but it seems no one knows for sure.

I am not sure we will ever know for sure but certainly whatever cymbals Ringo has left from the Beatle era will give a clue. I can't tell from the recordings due to the compression....
As stated above, I'd heard the opposite regarding Paiste. That he used them earlier. I always thought by or after Sgt. Pepper (1968/1969) he was using all A. Zildjians. My understanding is he gifted some or all of his 602s to Jim Keltner. I'm going to ask Jim. Ringo once kidded me about playing Paiste in the old days. This was over 20 years ago, so "the old days" could have meant 1969 or 1963. But like Charlie, Ringo didn't pay much or any attention to the specifics of what he used when, so it's hard to get definitive answers. Gary has done a great job, but some of it is like flying blind.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah who could recall exactly what gear they were using 50-55 yrs ago? I don't remember half the cymbals I had way back when, we were always trying new /used ones , trading amongst other drummers, grabbing something in the pawn shop. I would imagine sales reps were sending him bundles of new gear all the time.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be one thing; rarely see 16s or 22s..
Mostly always 18s and 20s yes no +/-
?(Beatle days)

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I don't think Ringo used a proper ride cymbal after approximately Please Please Me. I hear nothing with a defined "ping" after that, Twist and Shout, etc. Might have gone out post-Premier.

Even something like "Come Together" I see people tapping on a ride cymbal for the first 8th notes, but that doesn't sound right; it sounds much better on an 18" Medium-Thin Crash. I also think he swapped in a riveted cymbal every now and then, a la "Something" and "With a Little Help"(at the end).

I think the only true mainstays were the hats and the Jazz Fest(on 99% percent of everything else). The Jazz Fest is even on the rooftop.

Dan

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Ringo himself who claims he was all Zildjian, even though we know there were others. The first time we talked about cymbals in 1995, he said he played all "Avedis" and showed me his hi hats that he said were from 1960 and I quote, "On all the records." But yes, he definitely used Zyn and we believe Paiste 602s, but my understanding is that was earlier and by Let It Be and Abbey Road, he was using all A. Zildjians.

As stated above, I'd heard the opposite regarding Paiste. That he used them earlier. I always thought by or after Sgt. Pepper (1968/1969) he was using all A. Zildjians. My understanding is he gifted some or all of his 602s to Jim Keltner. I'm going to ask Jim. Ringo once kidded me about playing Paiste in the old days. This was over 20 years ago, so "the old days" could have meant 1969 or 1963. But like Charlie, Ringo didn't pay much or any attention to the specifics of what he used when, so it's hard to get definitive answers. Gary has done a great job, but some of it is like flying blind.
Thanks for the correction, John. I figured you would chime in and help ;):)

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pleasure. ;) It's a mystery I too would love solve. Maybe we'll know more when the film is released. :)
Yes, maybe the closeups in the footage from the film will be helpful.
I think "jptrickster"'s comment above is very valid....most drummers, especially professional, will not remember the exact gear they used that many years ago...
Love your comment about Ringo and his Zildjian A hit hats circa 1960 being used.
John, thanks for sharing with the forum...... :)

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah who could recall exactly what gear they were using 50-55 yrs ago? ...
1969 – 1973: E.W.Kent — hand-painted psychedelic (22/20/16/13/12); Ludwig (hand-painted psychedelic 16" FT; 5" SS); Zildjian (20/20/18/16/14 hats/8/6); Paiste 15" Standard; 34" gong), No-name "Made in Italy" (13)
1973– 1977: Ludwig Vistalite — clear (24/24/20/15; 6,8,10,12,13,14 concert toms); Fibes (SFT690); Zildjian (21/20/18/18/16/13/13 hats/8); Paiste (34" gong)

Some drummers are bigger gear-heads than others. I've always been very into my drum gear — I could even tell you exactly what hardware mix I was using 50+ years ago.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1969 – 1973: E.W.Kent — hand-painted psychedelic (22/20/16/13/12); Ludwig (hand-painted psychedelic 16" FT; 5" SS); Zildjian (20/20/18/16/14 hats/8/6); Paiste 15" Standard; 34" gong), No-name "Made in Italy" (13)
1973– 1977: Ludwig Vistalite — clear (24/24/20/15; 6,8,10,12,13,14 concert toms); Fibes (SFT690); Zildjian (21/20/18/18/16/13/13 hats/8); Paiste (34" gong)

Some drummers are bigger gear-heads than others. I've always been very into my drum gear — I could even tell you exactly what hardware mix I was using 50+ years ago.
:thumbup:....well there are exceptions to everything..... and you are right ...some drummers are more into their gear than others....I think I have heard or read that Ringo really wasn't a gearhead....:thumbup:

toddlittle827

Reaction score
back and forth for me, I could tell you every cymbal I had in my first stint playing drums during the 80s. All Paistes, not going to name them all, but I could with no issue on the sizes and types

I switched to guitar and bass during the 90s, but made a brief return to the kit to play with a singer/songwriter friend whose talent I really respected. Couldn't tell you any details of the cymbals other than they were Sabian. I think AAX(?) if that was a series but not sure how many cymbals I had and what sizes they were. No idea. LOL

That one cymbal in particular in the first post above Ringo's hats does look like a 602 to me. In addition to whatever 602s used in that photo or prior to this time. I have seen some pics of him in the very, very early days of the Beatles where it looks like he is using a Nickel Silver Paiste Stambul.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some drummers are bigger gear-heads than others.
^^ This ^^
I remember most all of the gear I used through the decades, especially if you endorse. Maybe not the exact size or model, but certainly the brand.
But those GOAT guys are more about the music than the gear, which is healthy.
I am obsessed with 70's Herbie Hancock, his Fender Rhodes and Arp Synthesizers. He had a signature sound on both. In past decades he's used modern workstations with emulations. I think a journalist once asked him why he wasn't still playing 'real' electric piano and analogue synth and he said he'd been there, done that, and was more interested in the latest technology.
Anyway... back to Ringo.
I used to have some Zyns and Super Zyns as a youngster and they were mostly awful. The Zyns would turn inside out as you played them.
By the 70's Zildjian were more available in the UK and from memory cheaper than Paiste. In Europe, most drummers used Paiste (of course).

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I used to have some Zyns and Super Zyns as a youngster and they were mostly awful...
My very first kit included a set of 14" Zyn hi-hats. They had oxidized gray and sounded absolutely gawd-awful — they clanged and gonged and went "spit" instead of "chick" and were by far the most un-musical sounding cymbals I've ever had the misfortune to play.

type85

Reaction score
My very first kit included a set of 14" Zyn hi-hats. They had oxidized gray and sounded absolutely gawd-awful — they clanged and gonged and went "spit" instead of "chick" and were by far the most un-musical sounding cymbals I've ever had the misfortune to play.
From what I understand, "Zyn's" were made from NS12 nickel silver, "super Zyn's" and "five star Zyn's" were made from B20, bill Ward was a big super Zyn user:

Last edited:

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think back in the day people used 5 Star Super Zyn because they were affordable and available.
My first kit included Super Zyn, Zyn and Krut. The last name there aptly describes the sound.
Krut is Turk spelled backwards, if I remember the story behind them.
Krut means gunpowder in Swedish, so maybe they're loud...? ;)