What Was the Best Live Show/Drummer You Saw in 2018?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
As the year comes to a close, it's time to reflect a little bit on highlights of the 360 times we revolved.

When it comes to live music, it was pretty eventful. I saw everyone from Wolf Alice to Matthew Sweet, Jason Isbell, Slayer, Deep Purple, Greta Van Fleet, Queens of the Stone Age, Metallica, Behemoth and more.

My favorite, though, was Mutoid Man at Carolina Rebellion on a small stage with the hard-hitting Ben Koller (of Converge) on drums. Great stuff.

Sadly, I just read today that Ben Koller somehow broke his elbow and will be out of commission for many weeks, including a January-Februrary European tour opening for Mastodon.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ben Koller (drummer for Mutoid Man) is on all these albums, and his band has started a Go Fund Me account for his broken elbow?

Discography[edit]
With Force Fed Glass[edit]
  • When Backs Are Turned, Knives Are Pulled (1998)[22]
  • The Self Destruct EP (1999)[22]
  • Discography (2003)[22]
With Blue/Green Heart[edit]
  • Self Esteem Through Modern Science (2001)[4]
With Converge[edit]
For a more comprehensive list, see Converge discography.
With Cave In[edit]
  • "Dead Already" / "Shapeshifter" (2005)[17]
With United Nations[edit]
With Acid Tiger[edit]
With All Pigs Must Die[edit]
With Mutoid Man[edit]
  • Helium Head (2013)
  • Bleeder (2015)
  • War Moans (2017)
Collaborations[edit]
Year Artist Release Additional information
2018 The Armed Only Love Drums on album.[24]

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Carter Beauford again with Dave Matthews Band.

Needtobreathe was a very close 2nd

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was a down year for me as far as going to live shows. I thought all the drummers at the Jason Bonham/Whitesnake/Foreigner show were excellent.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vinnie Colaiuta with Jeff Beck. And Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band (Gregg Bissonette on drums) was pretty great too.

Also, I was very fortunate to see Rick and Jerry Marotta (The Marotta Brothers Band) every Wednesday in July and August at their weekly gig on Martha's Vineyard.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Ben Koller (drummer for Mutoid Man) is on all these albums, and his band has started a Go Fund Me account for his broken elbow?

Discography[edit]
  • Discography (2003)[22]
With Converge[edit]
With Cave In[edit]
With Acid Tiger[edit]
With Mutoid Man[edit]
  • Helium Head (2013)
  • Bleeder (2015)
  • War Moans (2017)
Collaborations[edit]
Bonz, these days musicians make most of their money from performances. He can't play for at least 3 months, and he has a family.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ben Koller is amazing in all 27 bands he's in. I saw him with Converge in 2018. I'd say he was the best of all the drummers I saw this year.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Discography[edit]
  • Discography (2003)[22]
With Converge[edit]
With Cave In[edit]
With Acid Tiger[edit]
With Mutoid Man[edit]
  • Helium Head (2013)
  • Bleeder (2015)
  • War Moans (2017)
Collaborations[edit]
The industry sucks. I know a lot of guys that were in successful bands that just quit because they were tired of just making ends meet or less. I know other guys that do full tours and then when they get home they work for uber or they work construction jobs, whatever they can do for rent.

I remember Richard Christy (Iced Earth, Death) saying on the old Howard Stern show that when he didn't tour he lived in a storage unit.

Such is the life of the wandering minstrel.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The industry sucks. I know a lot of guys that were in successful bands that just quit because they were tired of just making ends meet or less. I know other guys that do full tours and then when they get home they work for uber or they work construction jobs, whatever they can do for rent.

I remember Richard Christy (Iced Earth, Death) saying on the old Howard Stern show that when he didn't tour he lived in a storage unit.

Such is the life of the wandering minstrel.
I wish more people knew how bad it is. A lot of people owe Lars Ulrich an apology. Maybe it was inevitable, but at least he tried to save it.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zakir Hussain, once with Dave Holland & band, once with in a trio with Bela Fleck and a bassist.

Zalloy

Reaction score
Jinjer and the drummer from that band, Vlad Ulasevich.

Incredible live show, best I've seen this year, and very interesting drum setup. He uses no top toms. lots of 20+ inch cymbals, all tilted forward, and plays open hand.

does alot with his small-ish setup and plays some very interesting stuff. lots of ghost notes, very flowing style, stays in the pocket like no one's business.

not to sound like an old fart but I'm not usually impressed with newer generation bands but was really impressed by this band, live.

Attachments

unphased

Reaction score
Craig Blundell with Steven Wilson. Solid and tasteful while still showing plenty of technique.
Seconded. Saw them in Denver, Craig Blundell's drumming absolutely blew me away! He has quite a bit of endurance to keep up those speed burst and patterns. I must admit, I desperately want to see PT live, but SW's solo work is still top notch.