What was the first song you learned to play on drums

makinao

Reaction score
My sister asked me to play this and a few other songs for her college vocal group in the early 70s. I was a high school freshman. It was my first time to play a real drum set, a beat up borrowed kit from the back of the store room of the college marching band. I played like crap, but survived the concert.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
It was probably something off of Sgt Pepper. My grandmother gave me her copy and I played along to it on plastic garbage cans when I was in 1st or 2nd grade. First public performance was Jumping Jack Flash with my guitar/drums duo when I was in 5th grade. A loong time ago!

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Great question....I don't think I recall. I do know my teacher just made me learn the typical Rock Beat with kick on 1 and & 3, with snare on 2 and 4. Then told me to listen to how many times that beat is used. Kind of eye opening for a 8 year old!

I know I learned Wipe Out pretty early.
Just how I learned as well. Mine was probably a Beatles tune, maybe From me to you.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
i don't remember the first song I learned (maybe "Wipe out") but I distinctly remember the first song I played at a paying gig. It was "A Little Bit of Soul"--still a great song.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great thread. As much as I hate to admit it but Brother Louie by Storys.

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
I started on a pad, so it was something in the Haskell Harr 1 book lol. I don't remember exactly on the kit, maybe Smoke on the Water. I played to my Machine Head 8 track a lot.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fox on the Run by Sweet. It was summer of 1975 (or 1976) on my friends used red sparkle Ludwig Club Date drumset he had gotten a few months before. I would have been 11 or 12 depending on which summer it was.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although not the first song (can't remember) but the most remember-able song was Joshua Fought The Battle of Jericho. I was in Jr High (Middle school) school 1957 playing REMO heads on Ludwig Snare and an 18" Zildjan crash cymbal; ridding it swing time. Best sounding ride cymbal I think I've ever played.

We probably sounded something like this:

sherm

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first song on drumset was “I got a line on you” by Spirit.
I saved up paper route money for a while and bought my first drumset (used Ruby Red Strata Ludwig Standard) for $300.00 from a local rock drummer who threw in a couple of free lessons.
He brought over the Spirit album along with Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Cream, and John Mayall and the Blues Breakers albums and showed me how to play. Heavy stuff compared to the Monkees music I was into before that!

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember trying to play along to The Beatles 62-66 as a kid before I had a proper kit.
I had a school snare drum, a small Tamborine and a set of nontuneable bongos that belonged to my grandmother.

Eight Days a Week and Ticket to Ride....those were my jams!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'm a rather new drummer (just over a year) and those are from my era. I just thought it would be interesting to see what some of you learned on when you played music on your own with drums. Thanks
...came out when I was in high school and I still love it.

Elvis

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Although not the first song (can't remember) but the most remember-able song was Joshua Fought The Battle of Jericho. I was in Jr High (Middle school) school 1957 playing REMO heads on Ludwig Snare and an 18" Zildjan crash cymbal; ridding it swing time. Best sounding ride cymbal I think I've ever played.

We probably sounded something like this:

sherm
I played this song in junior high too!

Latest posts