header.nohb.html

What was your favorite music store as a kid?

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Caspar Percussion/Lanzano Guitars - Manchester, CT.

DrBoom

Reaction score
The Long Island Drum Center in Commack, N.Y. Tiny and crammed with drums. It was a 45 minute drive, so it didn't happen very often, but to me it was about the most wonderful place in the world. Great owner.

Omega27

Reaction score
Robbies Music in Wayne, NJ. Just filled with instruments and gear on two floors. Going there was like a treasure hunt. Never knew what you'd find. It's still there but times (and prices) they are a changin!

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wallach's Music City in West Covina, CA! A really nice selection of drums! I'll always remember the Ludwig Downbeat set on the floor...in Champagne Sparkle, just like the one pictured in the '67 catalog! I also took drum lessons there, which is where I saw my first Sonor set! Wallach's had a huge record section!

-Mark

Attachments

• Wallach's Music Cit - West Covina, CA.jpg
    Wallach's Music Cit - West Covina, CA.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

bluejacketsfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Woodwind & Brasswind catalogs were what I drooled over for at first, as we didn't really have much in the way of nice music stores in this mostly rural area. (still don't, by the way) But my first ever trips to Columbus Pro Percussion were what truly made my heart beat out of my chest. This was when they were in a smaller location just down the street from the current store. I recall going in there in the 80s and seeing brand new (at the time) drumsets bedazzled with the latest in offerings by Paiste, Zildjian, and Sabian. I bet my eyes were as big as 50 cent pieces. My first nice drum set came from there, a Pearl World Series WLX in Coral Red. It was one of the greatest Christmas presents I ever received. I still have it to this day.

And if you're ever in Columbus, Ohio, stop by the shop. I don't get there often because of the distance, but they've always been very good to me.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
I loved TPC and used to go there whenever I was in Toronto for lessons with the late, great, Jim Blackley. I remember that they were in a small location first - off of Yonge Street? - and then they were in the much bigger Queen Street West location. The place definitely had the vibe. Peter Murdoch!
Yes they were first in a location behind Yonge Street , then moved to King Street West . Peter and Dave Rundle (who now owns Headhunter Drum sticks ) we’re two great guys to deal with .

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A real "old fart" here ...... grew up in the Boston suburbs. Never forget my first visit to Jack's, in the big city. My mom and I travelled into town by train, met my drum teacher (you know, the kind that used to come to your house - like a doctor (!)) at Jack's - the original location (Stuart Street?). Met Jack Adams himself and bought my very first kit: a "well loved" Slingerland WMP 3-piece. Came home on the train with us ...... can't remember all the logistic details. The bass reso head had some guy's name on it, and I never bothered to change it. Got a bit of ribbing for that ....... LOL!

That would have been 1954 -55 or so .........

My last visit to Jacks was in 2004, at the Boylston Street location ....... a little less satisfying, as I recall. This was shortly before they closed and moved (somewhere down on Cape Cod, I think .....? .... John De would know). Wurlitzers was already gone - they used to be next door.

Over the years in between, I rode the subway into Boston many times to browse the used gear - still have a bunch of '50s - '60s A's that were my staple cymbals for years.

Mike

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robbies Music in Wayne, NJ. Just filled with instruments and gear on two floors. Going there was like a treasure hunt. Never knew what you'd find. It's still there but times (and prices) they are a changin!
Years ago, if you could get upstairs, there were tons of treasures. But they ripped off a lot of less experienced instrument buyers.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hollowood music in McKees Rocks and still there I think.

Second Caruso Music in Carrick. Still have the weighted keys Yamaha electric piano I bought my wife when we were dating.

After that pawn shops. Back in the day.
I remember Hollowood’s and used to rehearse with my band on the top floor until the fire in the early 1990s. I also remember a kid in high school who bought me a pair of sticks from there and insisted that it was called Hollywood music. He didn’t give up even after I explained that Hollowood not Hollywood was the name of the family that owned it and that Fred and Donny Hollywood were well known local musicians. That was a fun argument. Good that the store is still there.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my first Gretsch kit at Professional Percussion Center in NYC but didn’t love their attitude and then discovered Mannies down the street and fell in love. They used to sell these awesome dark wood 5A sticks that I loved.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
I grew up in the Chicago area and by the early 90s when I was getting into drums, I had a handful of shops I'd frequent. The one I loved the most was the Sound Post in Skokie. I believe the location now sells pianos only.
However, I got my first ever set at the Percussion Shop in Evanston, which I think may have closed soon thereafter. This was late 80s or maybe 1990. I was only there once or twice and my specific memories of it are limited but in my mind, it was a dreamland. I'd love to hear about it from any folks here who remember it better.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
I grew up in the Chicago area and by the early 90s when I was getting into drums, I had a handful of shops I'd frequent. The one I loved the most was the Sound Post in Skokie. I believe the location now sells pianos only.
However, I got my first ever set at the Percussion Shop in Evanston, which I think may have closed soon thereafter. This was late 80s or maybe 1990. I was only there once or twice and my specific memories of it are limited but in my mind, it was a dreamland. I'd love to hear about it from any folks here who remember it better.
I’m the late 80’s I bought my first (Used) Rogers set from Mike Gassman the owner of The Percussion Shop. He was a great guy who took the time to help me (A young clueless drummer) get a package together including the hardware that I could afford. Mike had a cool shop with lots of stories to tell as well.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
Back in the day it was Biasco Music in Chicago, Drum Pad in Palatine. They’re no longer around but they had everything you could imagine but could never afford as a kid. Mitch Greenberg had a shop in Wheeling (Drum Center) lots of great vintage kits and also started the Bison Drum Co. Man, those were the days.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
I bought my first (Used) Rogers set from Mike Gassman who owned the Percussion shop. Great guy with lots of stories to tell.