What was Zildjian thinking when they put out the Scimitar line?

MrYikes

Reaction score
I bought a 13" Scimitar and now use it as a bottom hi hat for my nest kit. But the initial shock of hearing that man hole cover was not something I expected. What other Zildjians should I stay away from?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The later lines of AMIR aren't too pleasant. But the early AMIRs are usually ok. ZBT and planet Z's for sure. But I've heard some good ZBT's...especially the early line with the small "circled" ZBT logo. The 18" ride/crash ZBT from the earlier days can be quite nice. Anything that begins with a "Z" on the model line is at least something you'd want to hear first....that includes ZHT, ZXT, and Z's.

The Scimitars are a cruel trick on drummers. I've yet to find one that was "pleasant." Though a cracked Scimitar ride or crash might have "potential."

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once heard a first run Amir and thought it sounded fantastic (maybe it was a great player with a good stick).

I had a scimitar bottom hat (14) and I think it helped some of my pro 14 tops sound more aggressive in a good way....

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've once owned both Scimitars and Amir IIs, this is maybe pushing 30 years ago. They were probably the best things I could afford at the time, as I was still in middle school. I think I got them in neighborhood of $20-30 each. Back when you answered an ad in the newspaper!

I wouldn't touch them today, but I'm glad Zildjian had these available at the time for a broke kid like me.

Davo

Reaction score
A's are the only thing I've ever had . A couple I wish I'd never gotten rid of . Now I keep everything .
K's are great but not needed in the genres I play and far too expensive IMHO .
But those lower end cymbals I can't take .
I've got pie pans in the kitchen cupboard that sound better than most of those .

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first cymbals. A full set - 14" Hats, 16" Crash, 20" Ride. Even then, I knew they sounded like $#!t

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Oh yeah, scimitars are/were rough!! Zildjian do great, great top end cymbals but have the worst entry level models (a very subjective statement it must be said). There's many a Paiste 505, Alpha or Sabian B8Pro I've been impressed by.
Zildjian did put out a mid-line range - silvery looking things with blue ink (forget the series name) - in the late `90's which weren't too bad from memory.
Best advice I was given as a young fella was that with the right heads, careful tuning and judicious use of tape, a bad drumkit can sound ok, so spend all your drum money on top-line cymbals!

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they were the first cymbal pack but they were the first one I ever saw and bought .... Practice/ entry level cymbals is being nice lol. They were horrible but they were better than nothing. I upgraded quickly .... As stated above the early Amir's are decent and yes. Buy used pro level cymbals when ever you can.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
So long as a cymbal company does not have to use hand hammering by an actual person, the cymbal can be made fairly inexpensively. Scimitar was made for folks wanting Zildjian name but not being able to afford the more musical lines.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a set of 14" Scimitar (1st run/version) hi-hats for a few years. My set didn't sound bad but they were loud. I still use them from time to time with other cymbals as hi-hats. One good match was using the top of a scimitar as a bottom cymbal with a top from the Kerope line.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if these lines were a dig at Paiste with B8 sheet bronze or not. That’s what these are.

There are people who have relathed and rehammered these to make them sound amazing, but the lower end Zillys and Sabians are not mean to be blank for you to redo.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
My first cymbals too! Had the 16 crash and 18 crash ride. Back when used cymbals were very hard to come by. Next I got some Sabian Fusion hats and upgraded my crash to a cracked Scimitar Bronze for $20.

Here’s a tribute to those fine cymbals, definitely NOT recorded with them

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
What I used to do was to head out early on a Saturday morning, and hit every flea market, thrift store, etc.
I didnt find something every week, but every so often you'ld find a set of Zildjians from one seller. They usually would agree to a pretty good price for cash.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I still have a Scimitar Bronze 18" China. After all of my Wuhans / Orientals have come and gone, the Scimitar remains. :D