header.nohb.html

What would be, for lack of a better term, the "big fifth" of cymbal companies?

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
However, it will reasonably assure you that their products will continue to be available. Although not cymbals, we have a recent thread in the General topic area about how stranded some of us feel because a stick and brush manufacturer who spanned decades up and disappeared.
K Istanbul cymbals 'disappeared' and they are some of the most sought after cymbals going. Most cymbals last forever, unlike sticks and brushes, so I see zero issue in buying from a small cymbal brand that might not be around in a few years - as long as you love playing the cymbals.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You just made my counter-point to your assertion that, any of these companies can turn on a dime and go away regardless of their standing today. Thank you for that.
That was actually my assertion ;). At any rate, I don’t worry about it. No money in it for me, and I can almost always find something else suitable.

type85

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good observation. But they’d be wresting the #4 position from Paiste, not Meinl. I know there are a lot of Paiste players here, but I’m fairly certain Meinl is #3 (possibly #2) and Paiste is #4 in global sales.
Big John, I agree %100!
Several months ago I did a "Dun & Bradstreet" search for the "big 4", it lists the companies gross annual sales revenue: Zil are the giants of the industry! Sabian in 2nd. place, Meinl a strong 3rd. and poor little Paiste is bringing up the rear in 4th! :crybaby:
I'm afraid Paiste cannot compete with the others because of their sky high manufacturing costs, especially against Meinl where most of their product line is completely automated...... :mad:

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Big John, I agree %100!
Several months ago I did a "Dun & Bradstreet" search for the "big 4", it lists the companies gross annual sales revenue: Zil are the giants of the industry! Sabian in 2nd. place, Meinl a strong 3rd. and poor little Paiste is bringing up the rear in 4th! :crybaby:
I'm afraid Paiste cannot compete with the others because of their sky high manufacturing costs, especially against Meinl where most of their product line is completely automated...... :mad:
Poor little Paiste, eh? They seem to be doing alright to me ;)

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would you still feel that way if your investment portfolio had a significant amount of Paiste and almost no Meinl (or the two giants)? Just asking ...
Didn't think they were publicly traded :) but as long as it was profitable and payroll is met, I could be OK without earning obscene profits. If that was what I was looking for, I wouldn't invest in cymbals.

type85

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you still feel that way if your investment portfolio had a significant amount of Paiste and almost no Meinl (or the two giants)? Just asking ...
All four are privately owned companies, so you can't own stock in them....

type85

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dun & Bradstreet won't show the sales numbers anymore unless you have a subscription, but from what I remember Zildjian and Zildjian Europe (based in England right John?) combined had something like TEN TIMES the sales volume of Paiste!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Didn't think they were publicly traded :) but as long as it was profitable and payroll is met, I could be OK without earning obscene profits. If that was what I was looking for, I wouldn't invest in cymbals.
The question was hypothetical.