header.nohb.html

What would be, for lack of a better term, the "big fifth" of cymbal companies?

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Who, said the owl? I would think Bosphorus, Agop or for eastern brands, Wuhan.
Perhaps I spoke too quickly and with bias. Bosphorus, I would agree with you. In the Asian arena, yeah, it’s Wuhan for sales volume. Koide although small has a strong edge in regards to quality standards that is on par with the larger western companies.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah lol cuz a lot of Paiste players indeed play or certainly used to play Regal Tip; Alex Van Halen, Bill Reiflin, Stewart Copeland, Curt Bisquera, Brian Tichy, Jason Sutter, Barriemore Barlow. That said if Paiste were to hypothetically buy any stick company it should really probably be Vater certainly from a sales/artist standpoint lol considering Regal Tip are not as in demand as they once were.
If Regal Tip pulls a Phoenix act and resurrects itself from the ashes, I'll wager that they will quickly before in demand again. I'd be the first in line :)

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've seen some truly excellent players playing Meinl. Benny Greb, Thomas Lang, Greyson Nekrutman, Wim DeVries... Granted, many are German and may have some patriotic motivation toward that choice, but nevertheless I think Meinl cymbals are just beginning to attract a greater share of the American market - not up to the Big Four or Five quite yet, but I do think they're on the climb. They are excellent cymbals, IMO.
Actually only one of the drummers you mentioned is German; Benny Greb. Lang is Austrian, DeVries is Dutch, Nekrutman from the US.