What would be your chosen set of "same cymbal brand & line"?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been in a cymbal listening mood lately. So what I've done is sit an listen to video's and sound files of different brands and different lines just to hear all the sound differences of what's available out there. I'm not talking about mixing brands and/or model lines like a lot of us do. (I mix and rotate 3 different brand and a variety of lines within each brand). I'm talking about "one specific brand and line" that you would set up on one kit to make up a whole cymbal setup that would cover all or most bases. And of course, it's gotta be the one that sounds best to you compared to anything else that's out there. As a kid I started on cheap beginner Camber cymbals, moved up to Sabian B8 & B8 pro in the late 80's then I went with Sabian AA's and some HH in the 90's and when I came back to drumming a few years ago I ventured into Paiste 900's. So now I'm currently on a Turkish/Italian mix of Mehmet's, Soultone & UFIP's. The brand I think I've always ignored for some reason is Zildjian. Maybe it was the big Z logo that reminded me of Zorro or the name or the fact that I saw them everywhere (including t-shirts) and I just wanted to be different as I was growing up. Who know's! But man, in this listening quest I've heard Zildjian in the mixes and the sound of the K series has me thinking that they are probably the best & most complete single series that I've heard up to now. (The Paiste Signature & Big Beat's are a close second) Note: I'm not listening to anything vintage, just new stuff. Anyways, what do you think and what do your ears like the best when it comes to this comparison?

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I could only play one line it would be the Traditional series from Bosphorus or Mehmet. With all of the size/weight options they can cover about any genre with ease!

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I think Zildjian’s K Custom line can do just about everything. There’s the Dark, Hybrid, Session and Special Dry series’ all within the line.

edit: maybe this isn’t a good answer because the K Custom Darks and other series’ would be considered their own line. Oh well.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Zildjian K’s are a safe bet or to go in the opposite direction sonically you can’t go wrong with a set of Paiste 2002s. I find it hard to mix Paiste with other cymbals but if they’re all Paiste then you keep that bright shimmer consistent and it’s a real nice sound.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I could afford it, I’d play all Sabian Artisan cymbals. I currently play a mix of AAX, HH, Manhattan and Artisan. I also use some other brands every once in a while.

I used to play exclusively Paiste 2002 series. They were great live, but I realized they didn’t work well for my recording needs. It was always too bright and too loud for the studio.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
My opinion would be like "French" or a foreign language to you.
Everyone derives.. then shapes their own
-
Drums are a very individual business..maybe the most out of all the Instruments..
never been, never will be unanimous consent
-
Look inward not outward for direction

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tend to think in terms of lines. My favorite line from any brand is the Zildjian K Constantinople line. I'm mostly using what used to be my "jazz" set of cymbals for everything these days: 22" Overhammered Bounce, 19" Crash Ride, 14" Hi Hat. I'll be adding a few things like crashes and a 22" MTL or Medium. I can do anything with that lineup.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My opinion would be like "French" or a foreign language to you.
Everyone derives.. then shapes their own
-
Drums are a very individual business..maybe the most out of all the Instruments..
never been, never will be unanimous consent
-
Look inward not outward for direction
Doesn't have to be a deep philosophical or "foreign language sounding" answer. It's easy:
What one brand/line do you consider to be the best sounding if you were to put together a set for a kit with that one brand/line?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's easy:
What one brand/line do you consider to be the best sounding if you were to put together a set for a kit with that one brand/line?
It's irrelevant or how is it relevant to you.

Unless you're an "opinion collector" but I didn't know that was "a thing"..
unless taking a survey..

You can see all drummers -past present future- are individuals
you really can't replicate another person
all you can do is listen to what has come before you and form your own direction/opinion/

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Develop your own style is all i'm saying...sooner or later that's all you got will ever have..(and be happy about it (lol

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Joe. I think he's just having fun at DFO. You might be reading too much into this.

He didn't say

"Can you all help me decide which cymbal set/brand to buy so I can play better, be happier and fine tune my style?"

He didn't ask for that but that's the question you answered.

So your answer/opinion is spot in and full of wisdom..IF..that was the question.

This happens to me a lot here at and cymbalholic. People think/thought I am/was looking for them to tell me what to do or make a decision for me.

Luv ya Joe!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
why else would he be asking..
a)Taking a survey
b) lonely and need another drummer to talk to
c) I'm out of options

It's called lighting the fuse walking away then not claiming the responsibility when it explodes
or is a dud.

Last edited:

Latest posts