What would be your chosen set of "same cymbal brand & line"?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
there's no such thing ever
nothing is permanent
only a snapshot in time
a snapshot in time
It's passed already
see?

lol
Fair enough! OK Joe, What one brand/line do you consider to be the best sounding today?
Custom made question just for you!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
"Develop your own style is all i'm saying...sooner or later that's all you got will ever have..(and be happy about it (lol
Agreed! But that development is usually based on experimentation. Cymbalwise there are 2 ways to go:
1. You use one brand/line
2. You mix and match brands & lines

So, based on option 1, what are the ones right now that you like the most?

That's what I'm trying to decipher from everyone that posts their opinion here about this topic.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm trying to gauge which way most people lean in regards to this. Just to see if the majority like the same things or not. I guess it would also be a comparison to my tastes. Just to see how similar they are to other people's tastes.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Fair enough! OK Joe, What one brand/line do you consider to be the best sounding today?
Custom made question just for you!
Ok.
1) Old Ks are the finest Zildjians ever made..
however there's a couple issues
a) they never made (many) 19"s, no Swish /China, nor Flats
b) Availability (they pick you - you can't just "order one" up (So availability, and the financial thing

So, you delve off
2) into Bosphorus and Paiste 602

That is my opinion and what I own (in addition to basic A's)
and I'll stick with 1) (17 of them) (3 big rides) as my answer

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
why else would he be asking..
a)Taking a survey
b) lonely and need another drummer to talk to
c) I'm out of options

It's called lighting the fuse walking away then not claiming the responsibility when it explodes
or is a dud.
I didn't ever mention this as a survey. This is simply an exercise comparing what I'm liking right now soundwise "Zildjian K's" vs. what everyone else likes. Cymbal tastes & application for those cymbals is very personal. It's a topic that I would never get opinions on for my cymbal purchases. To begin with that's why I have "for now" a mix and match of different brands and lines.

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I feel like Sabian offers enough models & lines to satisfy any musical need or sound I would ever want even though I play cymbals from many Turkish, Italian, American, Canadian, Swiss & Chinese makers.

I like the top tier offerings from Sabian the most of any of the big 4 popular brands.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tend to think in terms of lines. My favorite line from any brand is the Zildjian K Constantinople line. I'm mostly using what used to be my "jazz" set of cymbals for everything these days: 22" Overhammered Bounce, 19" Crash Ride, 14" Hi Hat. I'll be adding a few things like crashes and a 22" MTL or Medium. I can do anything with that lineup.
I own full setups of Zildjian As, Ks, K Customs, and K Costantinoples, I too use my K Constantinoples for almost every situation.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My opinion would be like "French" or a foreign language to you.
Everyone derives.. then shapes their own
-
Drums are a very individual business..maybe the most out of all the Instruments..
never been, never will be unanimous consent
-
Look inward not outward for direction

LOL!!! It's a question Joe... Just answer the dang question or move one! My brain is not smart enough to always figure out what in the world you are saying! Now granted, when I do, it's like an epiphany and I realize you just made a brilliant statement which I agree with wholeheartedly. But man, forget French... I have to work hard just to speak "Joe"! ;) :icon_e_biggrin:

Oh, and I DIG THOSE PICS!! All old Zildjian A's and K's?

Reactions: JDA

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All old Ks? Wow, what a stunning collection! And the "family tree" pics are perfect! How big are the back rides? It's hard for me to judge but they look at least 22's if not even 24's! Though I don't even know if old K's came in 24's... did they?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only “full sets” I have are new-breed As and mixed Ks from early 90s to 2000s. Other than that I have a few Sabians-AAX crashes and a 21” HH rbdr, and a few Istanbul Mehmets (All rides), and a mixed bunch of late 60s-70s As.

So answering according to what I own if I were called to gig without being given a specific genre.... I could *confidently* grab a setup of my Ks and not worry too much if they would work-especially for a lower volume situation.

Now if I came into some money and could afford to branch out into a new direction? Paiste 602s (NOT the ME versions) would be in the cart and on their way. Just something about what I hear in them is a real turn on.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
All old Ks? Wow, what a stunning collection! And the "family tree" pics are perfect! How big are the back rides? It's hard for me to judge but they look at least 22's if not even 24's! Though I don't even know if old K's came in 24's... did they?
Yes they came in 24s Only in the late later years; 1967 on..
In that pic are 2-22s and 2-20 "s

since then - 1- 22" has gone bye bye
22, 20s 18s, 16s, 14s ,13...

22x1 New Stamp,
20x2 Intermediate, New Stamp,
18x4 New Stamp (x2), Intermediate, Type 4
16x3, New Stamp, Intermediate and a type 4.
14x6 Old Stamp, New Stamps (x4), old Kcon
13x1 old Kcon

used to be able to 'pick em off' on ebay

ha!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
So far I'm seeing tons of love for Paiste 602's and Zildjian K's. A bit for high end Sabians and some for Turkish pies such as Mehmet and Bosphorus. I've gotta sit and listen to some 602 sound files to hear them out. Funny no Meinl lovers have commented. I've never even looked at them but surely they have to make at least one good cymbal.

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
Long time Sabian guy here. I play a mix of AA, AAX, HH, and XSR. I have asked for advice, here, on both Meinl and Paiste over the past couple of years, but have yet to pull the trigger.
If I had to stick to one brand and one line, I think it would be hard for me to leave my longtime loves in the Sabian AA line. I know it's not popular, I know it's not "cool", but my 14" AA regular hats (I would argue they are the most versatile hats you can buy relatively cheap), 21"dry ride, and 16" medium thin crash have been there with me since the mid 90's. Love em!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
L-rod survey says : Meinl

:D
LOL! That's what I figured!
Only experience I had with Meinl was a China that I bought back in like 1988.
I wanted a China for my cool 80's setup and it was dirt cheap compared to anything else at my local drum shop.
From there forward, I've never heard them or even looked at them!

Latest posts