What would be your chosen set of "same cymbal brand & line"?

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
In all the years (not telling lol) behind a set, went from Zildjian A’s to K’s, then to Sabians, now been playing Paiste 602, Signatures and a few 2002 crashes for 15 years. Still prefer the sound of the Signatures, 602‘s, and the two added 2002 crashes.With that said I use Sabian flat hats for high hat, discontinued for many years, but still haven’t come close to them.

dangermoney

Reaction score
For many years, my chosen brand and line of cymbals were Zildjian A and A custom. Over the past 5-6 years, I gravitated to the K line. Today, I have full sets of A's and K's that both share a pair of New Beat hats.

I must say that these days I seem to prefer the K's because that is pretty much all I use. One day I'll probably get a set of K hats to go with them but for now the New Beats blend with both sets wonderfully ...

Tanabata

Reaction score
A Zildjians, 1950's or earlier. That is, if I could only pick only one. Never works out that way for me though, I can't remember a time when I was happy with a matching set of cymbals.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I could never afford it, but I've always wanted to have a full set of Sabian Hand Hammered. I usually try to ignore the brand/appearance/price when choosing cymbals though. I like to just play everything available to see which ones really speak to me. Using that method, I have noticed that I usually end up with Sabians as my final choice.

pgm554

Reaction score
Zildjian K's.
With the exception of their china's,pretty decent across the line.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I've been in a cymbal listening mood lately. So what I've done is sit an listen to video's and sound files of different brands and different lines just to hear all the sound differences of what's available out there. I'm not talking about mixing brands and/or model lines like a lot of us do. (I mix and rotate 3 different brand and a variety of lines within each brand). I'm talking about "one specific brand and line" that you would set up on one kit to make up a whole cymbal setup that would cover all or most bases. And of course, it's gotta be the one that sounds best to you compared to anything else that's out there. As a kid I started on cheap beginner Camber cymbals, moved up to Sabian B8 & B8 pro in the late 80's then I went with Sabian AA's and some HH in the 90's and when I came back to drumming a few years ago I ventured into Paiste 900's. So now I'm currently on a Turkish/Italian mix of Mehmet's, Soultone & UFIP's. The brand I think I've always ignored for some reason is Zildjian. Maybe it was the big Z logo that reminded me of Zorro or the name or the fact that I saw them everywhere (including t-shirts) and I just wanted to be different as I was growing up. Who know's! But man, in this listening quest I've heard Zildjian in the mixes and the sound of the K series has me thinking that they are probably the best & most complete single series that I've heard up to now. (The Paiste Signature & Big Beat's are a close second) Note: I'm not listening to anything vintage, just new stuff. Anyways, what do you think and what do your ears like the best when it comes to this comparison?
I use Paiste 602 and 2002/RUDE/Giant Beat. I just love the sound and feel.

CAsasquatch

Reaction score
In the mid 80's I started with Paiste 2002, and RUDE's and was perfectly content playing mostly metal and prog rock ...

20 years later I was playing more motown, latin fusion, and softer rock and came across those amazing Paiste Twenty cymbals. I bought the full set (except those awful splashes), and wouldn't you know it, Paiste discontinued the line *sigh*.

Well, after listening to every cymbal sound file I could find (and I must say the 602's are pretty sweet), but I would have to go with the Masters line. Wow. Perfection.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Zildjian K Custom Dark

The only time I've opted to use something else for sound purposes was to play pop/Top 40 covers, and I wouldn't miss playing that stuff if I only had the cymbals I preferred.

Han

Reaction score
Paiste...Consistent across all of their lines.
Personal preferences...Dark Energy - Masters - Traditionals - New 602's (Vinnie Colaiuta's)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
lrod707,

Already there....at least with the Ludwig kit.

20" Paiste Traditional Light Ride
18" Paiste Traditional Flat Ride
13" Paiste hi-hats (DE Mk.1 top / Sig. Med. bottom)

The other kits all share a separate cymbal setup that is still being assembled, but its various brands....although with that one, None are Paiste, but all are Turkish.

Elvis

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Vintage Avedis does it for me. I love 'em. Mid-late 50's are usually my go to cymbals. But I enjoy most all of the eras. I haven't owned many post Hollow ink stamp circa early 80's.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
UPDATE: "ALL SOLD"

Istanbul Mehmet:
22" x-perience x-metal ping ride $149.99 *SOLD*
20" Murathan heavy crash $139.99 *SOLD*
16" Murathan heavy crash $99.99 *SOLD*
19" x-perience x-metal power crash $119.99 *SOLD*
17" x-perience x-metal power crash $109.99 *SOLD*
13" Traditional hi-hat's $149.99 *SOLD*

UFIP:
21" Natural ride $149.99 *SOLD*
18" Bionic crash $149.99 *SOLD*

Soultone:
15" Gospel China *SOLD*
17" Gospel China *SOLD*
(Sold as a set) $149.99 *SOLD*

If anyone's interested in any of my Mehmet's, UFIP's or Soultone's, you can view and purchase them thru my eBay sales. If their is something you like, PM me your email and I can make a sound video so you can hear the cymbal. I'm selling them dirt cheap!

Last edited:

Latest posts