What would be your chosen set of "same cymbal brand & line"?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
there's no such thing ever
nothing is permanent
only a snapshot in time
a snapshot in time
It's passed already
see?

lol
Dude, I want to attend your philosophy class. I love reading your posts, there's always an interesting takeaway.

Rick

Reaction score
Man I've listened to tons of files of practically everything out there in mainstream brands. My ears really love the sound of K Custom Dark cymbals! So I noticed someone here yesterday got a deal on something else at drummingdeals.com. I really had never visited that site. Low and behold I went in today and they had an "available till stock runs out" deal on a brand new 17" K Custom dark crash. What did I do? I bought it! I looked everywhere and the cymbal is $315. I picked it up for $179, Damn!!! I got the last one! Couldn't pass it up at that price! This will be my intro into Zildjian K's. I'll sell some of my extras and the from the proceeds probably buy a cymbal pack which brings a 16" & 18" crash, 20" ride & 14" hats. So this 17" will fit perfectly. That will be a nice little K custom setup to add to the cymbal rotation.
View attachment 451062
Ha! I have that cymbal. Love it! I see this post was from a couple of weeks ago. Did you get it yet? If so, what do you think?

To answer your original question. What I've settled in on as my favorites are the Zildjian K's, specifically K Constantinople and K Custom Dark. All of my cymbals are in one of those two categories. It's taken some trial and error over several years, but I finally have a mix of cymbals where I think each individual cymbal sounds really great on its own and, more importantly they sound really great together! Here's what I have now (I'll also post a pic below)...

From left to right:
13" K Custom Dark hi hats
19" K Constantinople crash/ride
10" K Custom Dark splash
20" K Constantinople Light Ride with 3 rivets
17" K Custom Dark crash
20" K Constantinople Medium Ride

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha! I have that cymbal. Love it! I see this post was from a couple of weeks ago. Did you get it yet? If so, what do you think?

To answer your original question. What I've settled in on as my favorites are the Zildjian K's, specifically K Constantinople and K Custom Dark. All of my cymbals are in one of those two categories. It's taken some trial and error over several years, but I finally have a mix of cymbals where I think each individual cymbal sounds really great on its own and, more importantly they sound really great together! Here's what I have now (I'll also post a pic below)...

From left to right:
10" K Custom Dark splash
17" K Custom Dark crash

Can I ask what Starphonic snare you're playing?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score

From left to right:
10" K Custom Dark splash
17" K Custom Dark crash

Hey Rick,
I did and sold it, LOL! Unfortunately it wasn't for me. It sounded great but it wasn't exactly the sound that I was looking for. I'm still in search mode right now trying to find what I want. I got rid of a bunch of cymbals and I'm searching for a new (different) set. The great thing is that tons of choices exist for everyone. Good to hear from you!
LRod

Rick

Reaction score
I almost ordered one of those. Beautiful drum!
It is. And very versatile too. I have it tuned kinda medium-high (a G# fundamental pitch) and it works great for a lot of different genres of music... jazz, classic soul, funk, blues, latin, reggae, etc. I even played it with a big band recently and it sounded great there too!

Rick

Reaction score
Hey Rick,
I did and sold it, LOL! Unfortunately it wasn't for me. It sounded great but it wasn't exactly the sound that I was looking for. I'm still in search mode right now trying to find what I want. I got rid of a bunch of cymbals and I'm searching for a new (different) set. The great thing is that tons of choices exist for everyone. Good to hear from you!
LRod
Yeah for sure... cymbals are such a personal preference. I think the only way is to listen to them before buying and then try them out on the kit. For me, a gig is the ultimate test. What I've been having good success with in the past couple of years is buying from Memphis Drum Shop. They do those videos, which I've found to be recorded in a way where it's a true representation of what the cymbal sounds like in person. You have to pay attention to what kind of sticks they're using. I use 5A's... so if I see on some of their video where the guy's using something that looks more like a 5B, then I skip that one. But it seems like most of them are using sticks around the 5A size... at least with the cymbals I tend to look at. So I buy the exact cymbal from the Memphis Drum Shop video with the knowledge that I can return it and just be out return shipping. But I really do my homework listening first. I've saved the videos of the other cymbals I own, and I do a side by side comparison to see how it might sound with my cymbals. So far, it's worked out perfectly and I haven't had to return anything to them. I wish there was someplace in the ATL area that had that kind of selection of cymbals and I could audition them in person. That would be better. But, believe it or not, nothing like that exists in this area.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah for sure... cymbals are such a personal preference. I think the only way is to listen to them before buying and then try them out on the kit. For me, a gig is the ultimate test. What I've been having good success with in the past couple of years is buying from Memphis Drum Shop. They do those videos, which I've found to be recorded in a way where it's a true representation of what the cymbal sounds like in person. You have to pay attention to what kind of sticks they're using. I use 5A's... so if I see on some of their video where the guy's using something that looks more like a 5B, then I skip that one. But it seems like most of them are using sticks around the 5A size... at least with the cymbals I tend to look at. So I buy the exact cymbal from the Memphis Drum Shop video with the knowledge that I can return it and just be out return shipping. But I really do my homework listening first. I've saved the videos of the other cymbals I own, and I do a side by side comparison to see how it might sound with my cymbals. So far, it's worked out perfectly and I haven't had to return anything to them. I wish there was someplace in the ATL area that had that kind of selection of cymbals and I could audition them in person. That would be better. But, believe it or not, nothing like that exists in this area.
I ended up settling on Sabian HHX's. I just ordered some so we'll see how it goes. Based on what I hear, it's the closest thing that I can tell that will satisfy. Hopefully they work out!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got all my new HHX's today. Absolutely stunning both in sound & looks! The sound is exactly what I've wanted. The thin cymbals have a dark sound but they still have some brightness to them. They sound somewhere in between AAX's and dark HHX's. They are perfect! I'm officially "All Sabian". No more mismatched cymbals. They are all perfectly sonically matched. Back to the brand I started with and I couldn't be happier.:)
20_medium.jpg 14_thin.jpg 14_hats.jpg 20_ride.jpg 18_thin.jpg 16_thin.jpg 10_splash.jpg

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Just got all my new HHX's today. Absolutely stunning both in sound & looks! The sound is exactly what I've wanted. The thin cymbals have a dark sound but they still have brightness to them. They sound somewhere in between AAX's and dark HHX's. They are perfect! I'm officially "All Sabian". No more mismatched cymbals. They are all perfectly sonically matched. Back to the brand I started with and I couldn't be happier.:)
Congrats on your latest grab.
HHX's are nice cymbals. Way to go. -b

Elvis

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I understand sticking with a single brand, but developing a musical theory or concept of your sound, what you want to hear and why, can often lead to mixing things up. Picking from different brands offers a lot more variety in this regard.

If I had to choose only one brand, based on having variety, it would be Sabian. There's no area of cymbal sounds they don't make an attempt to cover. And I just realized I don't currently have a single Sabian cymbal on a stand!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I understand sticking with a single brand, but developing a musical theory or concept of your sound, what you want to hear and why, can often lead to mixing things up. Picking from different brands offers a lot more variety in this regard.

If I had to choose only one brand, based on having variety, it would be Sabian. There's no area of cymbal sounds they don't make an attempt to cover. And I just realized I don't currently have a single Sabian cymbal on a stand!
I think that with Sabian (like you mentioned) you can pretty much cover any variety. That's why I think that's part of the reason why I ended up back to them. I also think that when you overmix like I did before, you end up sometimes with an out of control, sonically messy variety. It becomes overwhelming! With the Sabian's for example, you can pretty much mix AA, AAX, HHX & HH and you end up with harmony. I'm sure a couple of oddballs exist within those series that don't like to cooperate but for the most part, they all seem to work together.