What would you buy?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1 Any of Pearl, Yamaha or Ludwig’s less expensive steel snares but get 6.5” deep version, set up correctly you will be happy,
I have an 8 lug Pearl 14” x 6.5”; was not expensive but sounds like it was
I will be looking.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would look for a nice used Slingerland Sound King CoB snare drum or Rogers Powertone COB snare drum.
I would love one of those but as I had posted, they are reward points that I earned. It's gotta be something in their stock and probably new.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own a good amount of nice snares but am partial to steel shelled snares myself, specifically the vintage Tama 8056 Mastercrafts and King Beats, ends up the cheapest and most common end up being my favorite. When ever I get a bunch of mad $$ for musical gear I usually stock up on my favorite sticks, the Vic Firth eStick, I have about 100 plus. Definitely not going to be one of those guys that gets caught out because his sticks got discontinued.
Thanks!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd love a Supraphonic but as I stated, I can pay a little difference but with a Supraphonic I would have to dish dish out a difference of about $350. That's too much right now. I spent alot on my whole setup already in the last few months and went over budget on that. I am considering though the Supralite 15". I heard it and it sounds good to my ears and it's about $200. I think with some nice Aquarian heads, that snare should do the trick .
Ive had a 5.5x14 Supralite that was great and im not a steel guy!
Under 2 bills!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive had a 5.5x14 Supralite that was great and im not a steel guy!
Under 2 bills!
Cool! I did alot of you tube listening last night and I think I'm gonna go for the Supralite. Don't know which size yet though. Still have to do some more research on that. I compared all the snares in that price range and I think the Supralite beats them all hands down. The other one that sounded good was the Pork Pie but I read repeatedly that the quality stinks.

Reaction score
Hey I purchased a Ludwig Supralite 14 x 6.5 Steel snare last year for Christmas and in my opinion it was a great investment. I put an Evans Hybrid Coated batter head on it and a Hazy 300 reso head along with puresound wires and I love, love, LOVE it!!!!

Attachments

Reaction score
I also tried the Evans HD Dry snare head and it was great on it as well. Just make sure and use a batter head designed to help control ring and overtones. At least that's what I found searching for the best combo to use on the Supralite. Peace

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also tried the Evans HD Dry snare head and it was great on it as well. Just make sure and use a batter head designed to help control ring and overtones. At least that's what I found searching for the best combo to use on the Supralite. Peace
Cool! Thanks for the advice. When I get it I do plan on at least changing the heads on it. I will see how the wires sound with new heads and then maybe change those too. Nice to hear you like yours. I hear nothing but positive things about the Supralite and for $200 it sounds unbeatable.

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the advice. When I get it I do plan on at least changing the heads on it. I will see how the wires sound with new heads and then maybe change those too. Nice to hear you like yours. I hear nothing but positive things about the Supralite and for $200 it sounds unbeatable.
Yea man anytime! You can't beat this snare for the money. I actually caught mine on sale through musicians friend with a decent discount and got it for around $175!!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I am down to 2 models. Ludwig Supralite 15 X 5 or the Supralite 13 X 6. I don't know which one to get. My current Ludwig Maple snare is 14 X 6.5 and what I don't like about it is its deep warm sound (I like it for certain things I play). I want that tight bright sound. I have seen a bunch of youtube demos and I like them both. Tough to choose!
Let me know what you think?

Reaction score
After reviewing the YouTube videos I would go with the 13x6 for brightness. It sounds higher pitched especially on the high tuning. Being a more compact drum it should warrant what you're looking for.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After reviewing the YouTube videos I would go with the 13x6 for brightness. It sounds higher pitched especially on the high tuning. Being a more compact drum it should warrant what you're looking for.
Yep I agree. After comparing them all I'm gonna for for the 13x6. Now I just have to wait for my rewards points to kick in so I can make the purchase.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well here it is. I got the Supralite 13x6. Took it out of the box and installed a new Aquarian texture coated head and the thing sounds better than I could have ever hoped for. It's got that pop and overtones that you can only get with a steel drum. I love it!
My Maple snare is going to go in the closet for now! Amazing that this thing costs $199 and the fact that I got it with my reward points is even better (Made my wife happy!). By the way, Aquarian heads are fantastic. I liked them so much that I just ordered some classic clears for my whole kit. My kit had the factory Remo Ludwig pinstripes that are not made in the USA and they really don't let my drums sing. I want to try those single ply heads that I ordered. For my ears, the 2 ply heads deadened the sound to much with my maple drums. And I think that factory heads are just not very good.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well here it is. I got the Supralite 13x6. Took it out of the box and installed a new Aquarian texture coated head and the thing sounds better that I could have ever hoped for. It's got that pop and overtones that you can only get with a steel drum. I love it!
My Maple snare is going to go in the closet for now! Amazing that this thing costs $199 and the fact that I got it with my reward points is even better (Made my wife happy!). By the way, Aquarian heads are fantastic. I liked them so much that I just ordered some classic clears for my whole kit. My kit had the factory Remo Ludwig pinstripes that are not made in the USA and they really don't let my drums sing. I want to try those single ply heads that I ordered. For my ears, the 2 ply heads deadened the sound to much with my maple drums. And I think that factory heads are just not very good.
Awesome! Great lookin snare, of course my 14 x 6.5 is fantastic as well. I use Evans heads myself. I have a Hybrid Coated on the batter side at the moment and a hazy 300 on the reso. The toms have onyx heads right now but I may put my ec2 back on to get a more open sound, as the onyx are a little too dead to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome! Great lookin snare, of course my 14 x 6.5 is fantastic as well. I use Evans heads myself. I have a Hybrid Coated on the batter side at the moment and a hazy 300 on the reso. The toms have onyx heads right now but I may out my ec2 back on to get a more open sound, as the onyx are a little too dead to me.
Very Nice!
I guess any name brand drumhead is good compared to factory heads. After rereading my post, I made it sound like the Aquarians were the best thing since sliced bread. I guess for me it is since I'm moving from crappy factory heads. I'm sure I would have been just as thrilled with Evans or Remo. I guess also that each company has their own special thing. Anyways, the post was supposed to be about the snare. Sorry, I derailed it! LOL!!

Reaction score
Very Nice!
I guess any name brand drumhead is good compared to factory heads. After rereading my post, I made it sound like the Aquarians were the best thing since sliced bread. I guess for me it is since I'm moving from crappy factory heads. I'm sure I would have been just as thrilled with Evans or Remo. I guess also that each company has their own special thing. Anyways, the post was supposed to be about the snare. Sorry, I derailed it! LOL!!
Ah it's all good brother. Lol. Yea pretty much most anything is better than factory heads for sure. I started with Evans Coated G2 over clear G1 because Jean Paul Gaster from Clutch uses those. He's one of my favorite drummers so I just went that route lol. I was a newbie. I just stuck with Evans ever since.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah it's all good brother. Lol. Yea pretty much most anything is better than factory heads for sure. I started with Evans Coated G2 over clear G1 because Jean Paul Gaster from Clutch uses those. He's one of my favorite drummers so I just went that route lol. I was a newbie. I just stuck with Evans ever since.
Cool! I love Clutch. I think Jean Paul is great. Talented original drummer.

Latest posts